Help needed PLEASE

Options
wilrhy
wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
I went into my goals and changed my calories to 800 and my protein to 35% (70) for each day. Does anyone know what i need to set the other numbers at? (sodium, fat, etc)

Replies

• kchaki
    kchaki Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My dietician said that I won't need to worry about fat, as long as I am able to get my protein in. Ofcourse if you put a lot of salt on your proteins that could become an issue. And my carbs they want below 60g per day. I know each surgeon will have their own recommendation, so I'd start with them. Sorry, guess I was not too much help! How far out are you from surgery? And are you starting to feel like yourself again? I am still pre-op, and nervous about how long it will take to return to feeling normal.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I only customized the calories and protein. Frankly I don't track the rest. I do low sodium because I am hyper-sensitive to sodium. But I don't track it, I just avoid it as much as possible. The rest of it, if you are eating mainly clean (meaning lean protein and non-processed foods) you will be well within normal ranges for fat, carbs and everything else.
  • wilrhy
    Options
    TY!
  • wilrhy
    Options
    On 11/9 it will be two months PO for me. I was upset tonight I went to a weight seminar and I was up 1.4 lbs! I did great the 1st week and the 2nd and third weeks. Then a stall--then a 5 lb. loss---went three weeks in a stall and now up. They though it might be water weight but the reading showed I was down a bit on water. I will get that in tonight! My biggest problem is that I had extensive back surgery before the sleeve and they do not want me to anything but walk 1/2 hr a day! I am going to have hubby hook up the WI-fit and see if I can push myself. I have only had a 30 lb loss in 2 months!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Just curious...is that a special scale that can show your water intake?
  • wilrhy
    Options
    MY PCP only has a regular scale but the weight loss ctr and also my surgeon have a scale that you step on in bare feet and it gives a breakdown---of water weight--body fat etc.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    30 pounds in 2 months is great progress! I understand you're frustrated, but try and be patient with yourself. I have arthritis from my lower spine down and walking is my primary form of exercise. I also use my pilates machine. Pilates and Yoga really help strengthen those core muscles which really helps the back a lot.

I tend to lose a pound, gain two, stall for a few days or weeks, lose the 2, and then, eventually, lose another 1 or 2. And then my cycle starts again. Because of my arthritis and the fact that I hate exercise, I am not consistent with it. I believe that's why I've always lost slowly and stall often. But, I have lost 164 pounds so far and am continuing to lose, even if it's now really, really slow. Fact is, down is down, so no matter how slow it's still going in the right direction. Take heart! You will get there.
  • kchaki
    kchaki Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    30 pounds in 2 months is great progress! I understand you're frustrated, but try and be patient with yourself. I have arthritis from my lower spine down and walking is my primary form of exercise. I also use my pilates machine. Pilates and Yoga really help strengthen those core muscles which really helps the back a lot.

I tend to lose a pound, gain two, stall for a few days or weeks, lose the 2, and then, eventually, lose another 1 or 2. And then my cycle starts again. Because of my arthritis and the fact that I hate exercise, I am not consistent with it. I believe that's why I've always lost slowly and stall often. But, I have lost 164 pounds so far and am continuing to lose, even if it's now really, really slow. Fact is, down is down, so no matter how slow it's still going in the right direction. Take heart! You will get there.

I totally agree Pat! Hang in there and give yourself some credit!! 30 lbs. is GREAT!!!
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hang in there --- we can beat this! I, too, thought I had broken up with my stall but apparently, it likes me and it came back...and the scale is stuck again after only a one pound loss from the last three week stall. Frustrating but I won't let it beat me and I know you won't either! :)
  • wilrhy
    Options
    Hubby hooked up the wii tonight and I did 1 hr of bowling. I may be limited with my back and hip right now but I :D know I have to move---thank you everyone for all of your support--this is a great group!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    30 lbs in 2 months is fantastic. You are probably ahead of the curve. Stalls happen to everyone. I gained 8 lbs the two weeks after my surgery, when I was eating 500 calories per day. I don't even know how that is possible, but it happened! Even now, I will go a week or two or three with no weight loss or a very small gain, then I will lose 4 lbs the following week. It would be awesome if we consistently lost 1-2 lbs per week, but that is not how this works for anyone I have known who's had WLS.

Your calories may be too low. You should check with the MD or your dietician and get their recommendations for nutrition. I had a hard time losing on 800 calories per day.

Here are my daily goal settings based on what my medical team has worked out for me: 1000 calories, 100 grams protein, 39 grams fat, 63 grams carbs, 25 grams fiber.

I never hit these goals spot on.

I am usually between 900-1250 calories per day, 60-80 grams protein per day, I don't worry about the fat (I always go over), and I try to keep my "net carbs" (carbs minus fiber)(i.e., 63 g carbs - 25 g fiber = 38 g net carbs) under 50. When I look at the pie chart, my caloric intake is about 1/3 protein, 1/3 fat, 1/3 carb.
  • wilrhy
    Options
    Thanks Kate--I spoke with my NUT and she feels I am at the right spot and will need to up the calories to 1000 in about a week. I am trying to change up the calories and the protein a bit each day--I have read that sometimes it fools the body into losing rather than staying at the same amount---then we can tend to go into starvation mode and not lose. Donna