I am new here. Need some help please.

Options
sickandfat
sickandfat Posts: 69 Member
When doing full fat the calories add up fast. How can I get enough fat without adding so many calories? I still have protein left. I must be doing something wrong. My doctor wants me to have 1400 calories and 50 or under carbs per day. I am having a hard time fitting everything together. If anyone can help me get it straight, I will be thankfull.

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? Cut down on the butter, cream, sour cream, and add in chicken, eggs, or cheese. If you are on mobile look at the menu on the left and click on "nutrition" for the last time you fully completed it. This will display a graph. What are the ratios of fat/protein/carbs?
  • sickandfat
    Options
    I was doing ok and then my doctor told me to eat more fat and so I started adding real butter, fat meat instead of lean and when I done this, then my calorie count started going up and I only have 1400 calories per day. I am confused about adding more fat instead of protein? I go back to see my doctor this week and maybe he will straighten me out. I have been doing this diet for about one and a half months. Still trying to understand LCHF? My ratios are 1400 calories, 110g-120g protein, 50g carbs per day. Thank you for your reply.
  • MelRC117
    Options
    So calculating your ratio if you are doing 1400 a day given the 50g carbs and 115g protein (if I did my math correctly) comes to 14% carbs/33%protein/53% fat, which means you would be at 82.4g of fat per day

(50g x 4cal/g of carb = 200 calories from carbs/1400 total calories = 14% of daily calories from carbs)

So, really your problem is getting in fat but not going over in protein, not vice versa as how I understood your first post.

While eating low carb, you need to eat higher fat. Things such as eggs, cheese, and meat are common foods to eat while eating low carb, but they are also higher in protein. In order to balance these out, you need to add things while you cook to up the fats. People who eat low carb add butter, oils, heavy cream, sour cream, full fat cream cheese, and full fat salad dressings to up the fat. In order to still be under your daily calories, you may need to cut back and ounce or two on meat/cheese etc, but add in your oils/creams/butter which are nearly pure fat.

I hope that helps a little bit. I think its a fairly common problem when people start eating low carb; learning how to add in fat without adding in more protein.
  • MelRC117
    Options
    I just also want to give you a heads up that the "Atkins" group is smaller, but there is also the "low Carber daily forum group" or the "keto" group. Not specific to the Atkins diet but overall you will find a lot of information/support from those groups as well. But it sounds like you aren't specifically doing Atkins either.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    sickandfat wrote: »
    I was doing ok and then my doctor told me to eat more fat and so I started adding real butter, fat meat instead of lean and when I done this, then my calorie count started going up and I only have 1400 calories per day. I am confused about adding more fat instead of protein? I go back to see my doctor this week and maybe he will straighten me out. I have been doing this diet for about one and a half months. Still trying to understand LCHF? My ratios are 1400 calories, 110g-120g protein, 50g carbs per day. Thank you for your reply.
    S&F;

First, a couple of "housekeeping" items if you will permit me;

- You have no idea how LUCKY you are to have a doc that actually understands (and is encouraging you to adapt) the benefits of a LCHF diet / lifestyle. Even despite the rapidly growing mountains of evidence, the majority of them (and an even higher proportion of so-call "dietitians/nutritionists") continue to promote the "company line" (USDA SAD).
    - LCHF, Keto, and Atkins (or many other iterations) are NOT the same thing. Yes, they do all have carb reduction in common but so too do they all have many differences.

It may seem like semantics (or "nit-picking") but it really does matter.
    The program your doc is recommending for you (as you have described it) is not "Atkins" (or "keto"), but more closely aligned with LCHF (which in itself has a number of variations).

I'd suggest you might find more support and assistance, specific to your individual needs on this group which focuses more directly on LCHF:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

As to your specific questions.
    Your current macro rations are:
    1400 cals
    120 protein = 34%
    50 carbs = 14%
    80 fat = 51%

While not terrible (and likely a MAJOR improvement over what you were eating prior to your docs "intervention") - I'm guessing that what s/he is trying to tell you is to CUT the protein and INCREASE the fat.
    A further reduction in carbs (after you become more comfortable with the food "mix" that will get you there and your body has had a chance to adjust) will likely be his/her next recommendation.

There are a number of "rules of thumb" for determining protein requirements but after meeting daily minimum requirements, more is NOT better and 34% is almost certainly too high.

Without access to your food diary (it really would help if you would open it), or knowing current weight/body fat %, it's tough to give you a firm number but something closer to 20% is probably close. You can use one of the many online calculators available or more simply just go in to the "settings" in your diary and make the adjustments.

Using the 1400 cal/50 carb guidance your doc offered, I'd suggest something closer to:
    1400 cals
    70 protein = 20%
    50 carbs = 14%
    100 fat = 65%

Changing to a macro mix closer to this will get the fat intake up closer to what most consider the "HF" part of LCHF and while there is no "absolute" number, one which will make it easier for you to be satiated and NOT have to reduce all those GOOD for you - fats.

As to exactly how to "hit" those numbers (what foods), many of the group members on the link above open their food diaries so have a look at what they are eating and how they are able to meet their goals. Mine is close to yours (lower in cals and carbs and somewhat higher in fat) but you'll probably find someone even closer.

Hope it helps and you're on the right path - keep it up and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it, there are plenty of us in the same boat, you're not alone.

• sickandfat
    Options
    Yes, I am lucky to have found a doctor who is trying to help me. A little background about myself. I have Coronary Artery Disease, I have type 2 Diabetes and I have Hypothyoidism. As you can see on my profile, I am 66 years old. My weight at onset of this diet plan was 280.6 lbs., I am 5'10 inches tall.

Now as to what lead me to this diet plan. My blood sugars were going to high an A1C of 8.1 and I only take pills to control my sugars and I do not want to go on Insulin.

I had to do something, so I heard about this Weight Management & Wellness Center. A nurse I know goes there. They have all kinds of diets and they do Gastric Bypass etc. There is a doctor there that is a DO, RD. I really do not know what that stands for? He really talks a lot about Keto diets and LCHF. He says that Jeff S. Volek, PhD, RD and Stephen D. Phinney, MD, PhD are the real deal. So this is how I ended up on this diet.

I really like the diet but I still don't know what I am doing? Could be my age Ha! Ha!

I thank you all for your support. You all are really smart about LCHF!

I wish that you could see what I am eating but I don't know how to do that. Could you tell me and I will fix it?

I go see the doctor I told you about tomorrow and I have to take some kind of breathing test to see how many calories I burn at rest. I've never had this kind of test before. Have anyone of you had the breathing test? I will post tomorrow to let you know what I might learn. Again Thank You, sickandfat
  • deansdad101
    Options
    Yes, I am lucky to have found a doctor who is trying to help me. <snipped>

He really talks a lot about Keto diets and LCHF. He says that Jeff S. Volek, PhD, RD and Stephen D. Phinney, MD, PhD are the real deal. So this is how I ended up on this diet.

<snip>

I wish that you could see what I am eating but I don't know how to do that. Could you tell me and I will fix it?

I go see the doctor I told you about tomorrow and I have to take some kind of breathing test to see how many calories I burn at rest. I've never had this kind of test before. Have anyone of you had the breathing test? I will post tomorrow to let you know what I might learn. Again Thank You, sickandfat
    S&F:

To make your diary viewable:
    From the "Home" tab on MFP,
    Click the "Settings" button, then the "Profile Privacy Settings" in the list that appears,
    In the dropdown that appears, select either "public" or "mfp members" (I don't think it makes much difference but your choice)
    "Save" your choice

Back to Home>Settings,
    Select "Diary Settings",
    Scroll down near the bottom to "Diary Sharing" and select "Public"
    SAVE and that should do it.

It sounds like your doc knows his stuff - you really have no idea how great it is to be able to deal with someone "up" on the research.

That he's talking LCHF may or may not mean Atkins (specifically). While they CAN be very similar, there are differences.

I'm only telling you this because you might want to join this group,
    http://tinyurl.com/mfa638q

it's much more active and includes among its members both folks that specifically "do" Atkins and a number that utilize other forms of LCHF.

Scroll down past the "announcements" stuff (most of it is old and outdated) for the meat (full fat <g>) of the forum.

Look forward to seeing you there
  • sickandfat
    Options
    Thank you so much for the information. I went where you said to go and I chose friends only. Could I be your friend so that you can view my diary? I also went to view the group that you thought I might like and I had also joined them too. I have not posted there yet, at least I don't think so. I am like you I really don't know where I belong yet? I know that the doctor that I'm going to tells me about Adkins and tells me to use their products, so that is the reason that I started there. I can tell that you know so much more than me about the LCHF and you have given me some good advice. I had no idea that there were so many different diets in this area. If you don't want me as a friend then I will go public so you can see my diary. Please let me know.
  • deansdad101
    Options
    Thank you so much for the information. I went where you said to go and I chose friends only. Could I be your friend so that you can view my diary? I also went to view the group that you thought I might like and I had also joined them too. I have not posted there yet, at least I don't think so. I am like you I really don't know where I belong yet? I know that the doctor that I'm going to tells me about Adkins and tells me to use their products, so that is the reason that I started there. I can tell that you know so much more than me about the LCHF and you have given me some good advice. I had no idea that there were so many different diets in this area. If you don't want me as a friend then I will go public so you can see my diary. Please let me know.
    S&F;

For "friending" - just click on the person's profile (left column, next to their forum post), you should see the option to "Add as a Friend".

That will send a friend request to the individual which they can then accept (or not). I (and most of the folks on the other group (LCD) will accept people who post there.

I do have to tell you though that I'm not real big on the whole "friend" thing - don't do facebook either - just not enough hours in the day and I really don't care all that much when one of my "friends" brushes their teeth or feeds their cat.
    Not saying I won't accept your invite (I will) but don't feel slighted if I don't partake in the "rah-rahs", it's nothing personal just not my "thing". Lots of others enjoy it though and are much better at it than I would ever be anyway.

Setting the diary to "friends only" is fine and many others do that as well (for a variety of reasons).
    It does, however, limit (or at least add an additional step) those who are willing to comment (which isn't necessarily a bad thing sometimes).

I previously had mine set to "locked with key" but it just got to be too much of a hassle so I opened it and will leave it that way as long as it isn't abused.....choice is yours of course.

First (well maybe second) piece of advice from your doc/center I found a little "uncomfortable" is to "...use their products..."
    Many do, but IMO there's really no reason to and you can get everything you need from "real food" (only use that term because it lights up the ideologues <G>)

The "other" piece I have issues with is the bar surgery. It's personal and I know it's a last resort for some but hopefully, with LCHF success, it won't be in your future.

• sickandfat
    Options
    You are so right. I do not use Facebook or any social networking. The reason I am reaching out here is to get some sound advice and I too do not go in for silly quotes. I will send you a friend request but I promise not to send you anything but something I learned or anything usefull to share. I am going to think about the public way of sharing. It makes sense to me to share useful things to whom ever needs it. I too do not want the bar surgery. I cannot have it on account of my heart condition. My sister had the bar surgery and she is not doing good at all. She lost over 100 lbs. but is not eating right and is gaining back a lot of the weight she lost. I think it is a mental issue with not being able to eat what she wants. The cravings do not go away she said. I have not tried any Atkins food products yet. I cook and try to get my food that way. The diet doctor wanted me to visit Adkins site to get a carb counter free. They also sent me 3 bars of their food but I have not tried them yet. I do not eat breakfast and the diet doctor told me to do a protein drink. I got me some at Sams Club, they are called Premier Protein (my doctor told me to get this kind) and they come in chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. One in the morning seems to help with my energy. Thank you for more insights into MFP.
  • deansdad101
    Options
    You are so right. I do not use Facebook or any social networking. The reason I am reaching out here is to get some sound advice and I too do not go in for silly quotes. I will send you a friend request but I promise not to send you anything but something I learned or anything usefull to share. I am going to think about the public way of sharing. It makes sense to me to share useful things to whom ever needs it. I too do not want the bar surgery. I cannot have it on account of my heart condition. My sister had the bar surgery and she is not doing good at all. She lost over 100 lbs. but is not eating right and is gaining back a lot of the weight she lost. I think it is a mental issue with not being able to eat what she wants. The cravings do not go away she said. I have not tried any Atkins food products yet. I cook and try to get my food that way. The diet doctor wanted me to visit Adkins site to get a carb counter free. They also sent me 3 bars of their food but I have not tried them yet. I do not eat breakfast and the diet doctor told me to do a protein drink. I got me some at Sams Club, they are called Premier Protein (my doctor told me to get this kind) and they come in chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. One in the morning seems to help with my energy. Thank you for more insights into MFP.

S&F;

The "free" Atkins carb booklet is GREAT - very handy to have when you are menu planning or shopping. The rest of the stuff in the package - not so much.

Looking at your diary, too much protein (for my way of thinking) and I'm surprised the doc "recommended" the protein shakes (harks back to the low carb, HIGH protein thinking which is NOT what LCHF is, nor is it what Phinney and Volek advocate.

With LCHF, the whole purpose is to get your body to switch from using carbs as its primary energy source to using fats and excess protein not only inhibits the switch but can, in fact, actually stop it in its tracks.

I certainly am not suggesting you should disregard the docs advice (he may well be aware of other "issues" that are specific to you that dictate the advice) but I absolutely would ask him "why".

• sickandfat
    Options
    Yes I agree with you about the protein. I was thinking that I might be eating to much? Well I went to see my doc and found out that I was to see the Dietitian this time and the Doc on 11/7/14. Anyway I took all my MFP diaries and he looked at them and said that I was doing real good. I asked him just what kind of diet that I was doing. He said a Low Carb Diet. I told him that I was confused. He said that he and the doctor talked about me and since I have so many health problems that they had to be careful and was trying slowly to get me on a diet that my body could adjust to. Well that makes since because I too worry about my heart. I have 13 stents in my heart and I do need to be careful. I lost only one pound in the last two weeks and I am trying really hard to do what they tell me to do. Looks like I am going to have a very slow weight loss, but I am not giving up. I saw some of your post on the other group that you told me about and enjoyed them very much. You know a lot about LCHF. Between you and this weight loss center, maybe at least I will stay on the right track. I sure am going to give it my best shot. Oh, about the protein, he said that the 110-120 grams was good for me at this time, along with the less than 50 grams of carbohydrates, and 1400 calories per day?? He did tell me to drop the protein shakes if I wanted to and try to eat a food breakfast and see what happens. I will try this when I can. My husband has Parkinsons and I have to help him in the mornings and by the time I have him all good to go, it is lunch time??? I liked the protein drinks because they are so easy. I may have to up my diabetic meds a little if I stay with the drinks? Thanks again for helping me and for being a friend. sickandfat
  • deansdad101
    Options
    Yes I agree with you about the protein. I was thinking that I might be eating to much? Well I went to see my doc and found out that I was to see the Dietitian this time and the Doc on 11/7/14. Anyway I took all my MFP diaries and he looked at them and said that I was doing real good. I asked him just what kind of diet that I was doing. He said a Low Carb Diet. I told him that I was confused. He said that he and the doctor talked about me and since I have so many health problems that they had to be careful and was trying slowly to get me on a diet that my body could adjust to. Well that makes since because I too worry about my heart. I have 13 stents in my heart and I do need to be careful. I lost only one pound in the last two weeks and I am trying really hard to do what they tell me to do. Looks like I am going to have a very slow weight loss, but I am not giving up. I saw some of your post on the other group that you told me about and enjoyed them very much. You know a lot about LCHF. Between you and this weight loss center, maybe at least I will stay on the right track. I sure am going to give it my best shot. Oh, about the protein, he said that the 110-120 grams was good for me at this time, along with the less than 50 grams of carbohydrates, and 1400 calories per day?? He did tell me to drop the protein shakes if I wanted to and try to eat a food breakfast and see what happens. I will try this when I can. My husband has Parkinsons and I have to help him in the mornings and by the time I have him all good to go, it is lunch time??? I liked the protein drinks because they are so easy. I may have to up my diabetic meds a little if I stay with the drinks? Thanks again for helping me and for being a friend. sickandfat

S&F;

"Slow" weight loss is a GOOD thing, and "baby steps" when making major changes in one's diet, something I absolutely agree with.

If for no other reason than that "most" people are much more likely to stay on course if the changes are incremental rather than "cold turkey" it's my option of choice.

In no case should you ever take the "advice" of anyone on the interwebs (or anyplace else) over that of your personal doc who knows your history, however that's not to say you shouldn't question the advice and demand an explanation.

As to the protein, it sounds like they are saying that there isn't an overriding medical "need" on which they based the protein number and 110 is certainly a "reasonable" number, all things considered.

I would agree that switching away from the shake to HFLC breakfast makes sense but you have to do what you have to do, time wise.

I doubt the shakes alone would cause any need to "up your diabetic meds" and as you progress on LCHF I wouldn't be surprised at all if you find they may be reduced (let's hope so).

Likewise with your hearth concerns - do what the doc says but nothing I've seen would indicate that LCHF will do anything but HELP on that score.

The future is BRIGHT!!

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Oh, about the protein, he said that the 110-120 grams was good for me at this time, along with the less than 50 grams of carbohydrates, and 1400 calories per day??
    Hi S&F, I too aim to eat about the same protein and carbs as you, and it has worked over the past year. My diary is open, so take a look at what I eat if you want. (I live in Japan, though, so the foods may sound weird at times!) I lost just 10 kg, about 22 lbs, since March 2013. Slow going, but it has stayed off since June! so I am happy. I am 57, female and though I don't have lots more to lose, I am sticking with LCHF/Atkins as it makes me feel so much better. You can do it!
  • sickandfat
    Options
    Hi camtosh, thank you so much for all the help. You are right, you and I do share the same protein and carb counts. Thanks for sharing your diary. It really helps me to see what others are eating. Gives me some ideas. I know that you must be proud of yourself on your weight loss. Good for you!!!! You make me feel better now that I have started on my diet or hopefully a new way of eating. I will have a better chance with nice people like you cheering me forward. I have never been to Japan but I have seen many beautiful pictures of Japan. Thank you again for the cheer!
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    hello
  • sickandfat
    Options
    Hello to you too timwhoa, I am proud to be here. Nice people with great ideas.