Logging fat from fried food

PamelaKuz
PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
So how do you guys log the amount of fat when frying something? For example, i fried steaks tonight in the frying pan full of bacon fat from this morning. I also added 2 tablespoons of butter while frying. There's always so much fat left in the pan, i'm not sure how much actually went into the meat. What do you guys do? I guess with steak, i could pour the extra on top. But if you deep fry something, is there a ball park amount of fat absorbed that one can use to log the fat?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    PamelaKuz wrote: »
    So how do you guys log the amount of fat when frying something? For example, i fried steaks tonight in the frying pan full of bacon fat from this morning. I also added 2 tablespoons of butter while frying. There's always so much fat left in the pan, i'm not sure how much actually went into the meat. What do you guys do? I guess with steak, i could pour the extra on top. But if you deep fry something, is there a ball park amount of fat absorbed that one can use to log the fat?

Thanks in advance!
    PK;

Someone "may" have ball park rule of thumb but my guess is that since there are so many variables involved that you'd likely be just as accurate throwing a dart.

I suppose you might measure the quantity of the oil before deep frying and again after and "assume" that the difference is what got absorbed, but for a whole bunch of reasons that's not going to be very accurate and is it really worth the effort?

Short of employing the services of your own, personal calorimeter (you do have one, right? <g>), I think your best bet is one of the online databases that have done the testing (hopefully).

Best you can do is find something "close" to whatever it is you are preparing and use that.

Here's one that might help:
    tinyurl.com/lb7nbqn

For the pan fried stuff, I do what you do - measure what you add to cook and then pour whatever is left in the pan on what you cooked (or maybe over a veggie side).

• PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Thanks for your reply! The website you linked looks very useful, i hadn't heard of it yet.. thanks!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,764 Member
    I make a pan sauce out of the leftovers! Ummm