Help nutrition for competition

Options
Pmagnanifit
Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
Hello I am competing for the first time on dec14. Everything is going well training wise. I am happy with my lifts.

I have been gaining weight - usually I am 109 and lately 112 or 111. That's ok but I would like to compete under 114 . I am not good at losing weight. So should I try to maintain or try to cut a little for the next 4-5 weeks?
I eat about 1 G protein/ lb bw

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do you know if they have weigh-ins the day before of just the morning of the meet.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    The morning of the meet
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Generally, I would advise people not to worry about the weight class when its their first meet - there is enough to stress out about and cutting can mess with strength. However, you are within the weight class you are looking at competing in so it makes sense to want to make sure you stay in it. One of the challenges with cutting prior to a meet is the variability of water weight when you reduce carbs and then up them again. Also, as I mentioned cutting can impact strength - although the degree to which is very individual.

How do you find being on a moderate deficit for a few weeks impacts your strength?
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    I can maintain strength well just not improve on a deficit. If I find it problematic I can eat more. I have been way over the last month but was feeling good and very active. I am deliberately trying rest more and cut cardio-- the rainstorms helped this week.
    I am not good at actually losing weight!! Which is fine because I want to be strong
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Just weigh in daily and keep an eye on your weight. If you find yourself over 114 a week out from the meet you can do a mild water cut (just drop sodium and then nil by mouth from 12 hours before weigh in) should drop 1-4lbs with very little hassle.
    If you're within your class now you're not likely to eat your way out of it unless you start being silly with your intake.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    just wanted to say thanks- I am weighing more often and staying at 110. I just went back to weighing every other day and it was easy to get back on track.
    - I am going to focus more on protein for this month and my workouts.
    - Thanks again I appreciate this group and of course Sara and ss