How to tuck hair into a swimming hat.

Options
IHateThinkingOfAUsername
IHateThinkingOfAUsername Posts: 568 Member
edited October 2014 in Social Groups
Ok so following my last post, I have dyed my hair red (kinda browny postbox red), and bought myself a silicone swimming hat. The problem I'm having is my hair is mid-length (down to my chin) and I'm struggling to tuck it all into the hat. Is there any trick/tips you could share to see if I find one that works?

My routine so far is: wet my hair, apply conditioner, put cap on. I can get it on, get it covering my hair easily but the hair at the nape of neck is a struggle. When I try to tuck it in I seem to pull more hair out. I've tried brushing all my hair upwards, and having my head upside down and putting it on that way; I've tried putting it on normally and 'stroking' the uncovered bits up into the hat. Nothing's working yet.

Is it even possible to get all my hair into the hat? To create a seal around my head? Do different manufacturers fit differently? (I have a speedo cap).

Replies

• 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Mine is just past my shoulders. I put conditioner on dry hair, then put in a ponytail and its easy to get the cap on and tuck any stragglers up and under the cap.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have thick mid-back length hair, I wear this one http://www.amazon.com/Long-Hair-Silicone-Swim-Non-Allergenic/dp/B00LCAMXES/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1414347099&sr=1-4&keywords=long+hair+swim+cap You may not like it because it covers your ears as well. (I like that it does because I usually wear an mp3 player and it helps hold the earbuds in. I haven't had any trouble fitting my hair in it. I usually twist it into a bun, I've swam with it dry and had it stay somewhat dry after 50 minutes of laps.

There are other swimcaps for longer or thicker hair, my husband has thick curly hair and wears a 'speedo lycra swim cap,' there is a silicon version called 'Speedo Silicone Long Hair Swim Cap' but neither of us have tried it so I can't speak for it.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    See my hair isn't long enough for putting up in a pony tail or bun. It is literally 1-2cm lower than my hair line, think jaw length. I can get the majority of it under the cap, just not the straggly bits at the hair line at the back.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I've never known of a woman with hair shoulder length or shorter that didn't have to do the "tuck-tuck" routine for stray hairs.

I think it's just par for the course.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Ah ok :) As long as I know I'm not doing anything wrong. :)
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Maybe go the kid hair style route and do tiny pigtails on the side of your head to get most of your hair in the cap.
    You could also leave some of the nape hairs not in the cap.
    Also I leave my hair dry when I put my cap on. You could try that. Dry hair is less sticky then wet hair. Hands should be dry too when trying that.

I would have never considered chin length hair a 'mid length'. I consider my hair short and its past my shoulders. I had to go back a re read your post.