Weekly Post Update: 10/26/14 - 11/01/14

Options

Replies

• debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 22 now.

I've found this week, my fast days have been easy, but I've been eating more on my feast days, and I'm thinking I really need to pull it back. I've stayed under my TDEE but not by much and feel like I'm eating all the time again. I'm having my 2nd fast today ready for my weigh in tomorrow, and I think my body was looking forward to me not eating.

I need to ignore other people telling me I'm looking great, and focus on where I want to be, and not where I am at the moment. I still have at least 50lb to lose, and ultimately I want to get into the healthy BMI range. I don't want to be skinny, I just want to be healthy.

My daughter has decided she wants to get fitter as well, so I've reset my C25K app and hopefully if we are doing it together it will keep me motivated.
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

So the past two weeks I've started "officially" bumping up my low/fast day goal to 700-850 and I have noticed a BIG change. I have more energy during the week, I feel more satisfied after meals/day to day, no more late night hunger pangs, etc.

We're allowed to do this????? I think it may benefit me as I am having such a hard time sticking with 500! Is your TDEE lower during the 5 days then?

• Christine_1085
    Christine_1085 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Tiamo719 wrote: »

So the past two weeks I've started "officially" bumping up my low/fast day goal to 700-850 and I have noticed a BIG change. I have more energy during the week, I feel more satisfied after meals/day to day, no more late night hunger pangs, etc.

We're allowed to do this????? I think it may benefit me as I am having such a hard time sticking with 500! Is your TDEE lower during the 5 days then?

I think the premise will switch to calorie cycling instead of the 5:2 or 4:3. There are different variations of what we can do to make it work

• Christine_1085
    Options
    debbie389 wrote: »
    I'm on week 22 now.

I've found this week, my fast days have been easy, but I've been eating more on my feast days, and I'm thinking I really need to pull it back. I've stayed under my TDEE but not by much and feel like I'm eating all the time again. I'm having my 2nd fast today ready for my weigh in tomorrow, and I think my body was looking forward to me not eating.

I need to ignore other people telling me I'm looking great, and focus on where I want to be, and not where I am at the moment. I still have at least 50lb to lose, and ultimately I want to get into the healthy BMI range. I don't want to be skinny, I just want to be healthy.

My daughter has decided she wants to get fitter as well, so I've reset my C25K app and hopefully if we are doing it together it will keep me motivated.

i am the same as you, it is not my desire to be the weight I was when I was 18 - 115. I have embraced my age and I want to have a bit of "weight or fat" to fight any disease that might come during my old age. My mother in law had 3 children and NEVER weighed more than 124 at 5'4. When she developed oral cancer, she had nothing left to fight the disease. No room to lose weight. Also with being too skinny brings wrinkles. So that's one thing that I am trying to prevent.
  • Christine_1085
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Good job @snaps27! I have definitely felt that lesson, even before this diet started. I always knew that if I ate breakfast I would feel hungrier for lunch earlier. However, if I didn't eat breakfast, I would forget to eat lunch until 1! Even when I bingeing and eating more than I could possibly fit in my mouth, I would start thinking about what I'm going to eat for lunch before I even finished my breakfast. The mental part is obviously for when I was bingeing, but I couldn't figure out when I was just eating normally/without emotions tied to it, why I was physically feeling hungrier earlier. I wonder if it has something to do with the way food affects our blood sugar and makes us peak and then fall and feel hungry again. Dunno.

I have been doing the 5:2 for 3 days Wednesday Monday and Wednesday - everything trial and error. When I skipped breakfast I was so weak that I had no energy to work out. I was so weak that I just wanted to sleep as soon as I got home. But yesterday I had breakfast lunch and a small snack and dinner I ended at 500 and I was happy. In fact I had so much energy that I worked out for 2 hours.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    This week I lost 1.3 since my last weigh-in (pre-sickie). That brings my total of 7.7lbs lost since starting 5:2. Slow, but steady. I happy with that!

P.S. I am back to the lowest I have been since 2009, so anything less than where I am now is brand new territory. I am glad to see my waist again (I keep putting my hands on my waist and am surprised not to find anything to 'hang' onto :# ).
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    snaps27: Congrats on your 7.7 lbs. loss. You are doing great so far.........
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    That is really nice! When did you start?

I am on my second fast day today and drink so much that I can barely leave the bathroom. But aside from that I feel fine, it´s only 2pm though...
  • snaps27
    Options
    Neonbeige wrote: »
    That is really nice! When did you start?

I am on my second fast day today and drink so much that I can barely leave the bathroom. But aside from that I feel fine, it´s only 2pm though...

I started on the first of September.
  • mwhite61451
    mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Just finished second FD yesterday. So far my experiment of combining 5:2 with Whole30 seems to be working...I've lost 14 lbs since I started. 5:2 gives me the routine and Whole30 gives me the boundaries.
  • bbb251
    bbb251 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am definitely starting to get frustrated with my body. According to MFP, over the last 7 days I've averaged 1600 cals a day. At 6'1" that should be plenty to lose 1 lb+... nope! Up a lb. And this isn't the first time.

Starting weight: 180
    Week 1: 175.6
    Week 2: 174.8
    Week 3: 175.6
    Week 4: 176.7
    Week 5: didn't weigh in, didn't do full fasts and was out of town. When I did check the scales, was in the low 180s. Figured it was salt/water since I definitely didn't overeat enough to put on 5+ lbs
    Week 6: 178
    Week 7 (today): 179

So 6 weeks of fasting, 1 week of not, and I'm down 1 whole pound. When the scale started going up in week 3/4 I started tracking on non-fast days too to make sure I'm not going crazy and overeating. I measure, track, and by the math I should be down a lot more :(
  • snaps27
    Options
    I know with 5:2 the scale defiantly goes up and down a lot! I have experiences gains as well. I don't know if this is right, but I think that at 6'1" you should be eating...I know this sounds strange...more on you non-fast days. I am 5'3" and I am eating between 1800-2000 on non-fast days. I know that I'm not the best guide because I have been doing this for 9 weeks and have lost 7.7lbs, but maybe its worth a test and see what happens. These were my numbers since start:

31st August Start weight: 175.9
    Week 1: 175.4
    Week 2: 175.2
    Week 3: 173.9
    Week 4: 172.6
    Week 5: 171.2
    Week 6: 175.2 (see, massive jump, but then back down)
    Week 7: 169.5
    Week 8: sick (didn't weigh or fast)
    Week 9: 168.2

It also depends on which day you weigh yourself. Same day every week? Day Before or After Fasting?
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    @bbb251, you have lost a significant amount of weight so far, congratulations!!! The last are the hardest.

Play with your calorie intake. The scale shouldn't be going up if you're eating 500 cal for two days and 1600 for the other five. It just doesn't make sense.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    @snaps27
    snaps27 wrote: »
    This week I lost 1.3 since my last weigh-in (pre-sickie). That brings my total of 7.7lbs lost since starting 5:2. Slow, but steady. I happy with that!

P.S. I am back to the lowest I have been since 2009, so anything less than where I am now is brand new territory. I am glad to see my waist again (I keep putting my hands on my waist and am surprised not to find anything to 'hang' onto :# ).

Congratulations on your weight loss! It is so encouraging to see you reaching your goals. Thank you for sharing your victories with us.

• jknight001
    Options
    I am on my second fast day today and drink so much that I can barely leave the bathroom.

You are too funny! :D BTW, that should subside as your kidneys get used to the extra liquid.
  • jknight001
    Options
    Week 9 - 2.0 lbs (0.91 kg)
    Total loss as of 10/31/14 9.8 lbs (4.45 kg)

Biggest loss so far! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and we will get where we want to be! <3
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    jknight001 wrote: »
    I am on my second fast day today and drink so much that I can barely leave the bathroom.

You are too funny! :D BTW, that should subside as your kidneys get used to the extra liquid.

:-) That would be very nice. Luckily I work from home and it´s MY bathroom - which makes the situation more bearable. But still I prefer other rooms here more than this one ;-)

BTW sitting in the kitchen beside the fridge is less dramatically than I had thought regarding the fasting. Didn´t even have to buy a lock.

@snaps27 that´s really cool! I am excited to see where I will be in two/three months...I was also one kg down already and the same on up again two days later, so yeah, I will just ignore the scale for a bit.

@bbb251 I agree that you might not be eating enough. But honestly I am still trying to figure out the right balance for myself so I am not of a big help unfortunately, sorry!
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    bbb251 wrote: »
    I am definitely starting to get frustrated with my body. According to MFP, over the last 7 days I've averaged 1600 cals a day. At 6'1" that should be plenty to lose 1 lb+... nope! Up a lb. And this isn't the first time.
    So 6 weeks of fasting, 1 week of not, and I'm down 1 whole pound. When the scale started going up in week 3/4 I started tracking on non-fast days too to make sure I'm not going crazy and overeating. I measure, track, and by the math I should be down a lot more :(
    There's a lot of variables to consider...I mean you are sitting pretty good right now from what I can tell, with a BMI under 24.

What's your activity like? Exercise? What's your body fat %? Do you lead a stressful life? Smoking? Lot's of salt?

Did you take measurements (did you lose inches)? Did you gain muscle (fat is less dense...takes up more space)?

Most importantly: Are you weighing yourself at "like" times? This is always a tricky one, especially when you are pretty fit to start off. I find that weighing myself at the tail end of a fast after my body has gone through a "cleanse" (using the nice word) is the best time. If this makes sense...I also try to get a "feel" for if I'm "watery"...meaning saturated, I try to get a sense of how thirsty I am...yeah, this is hard to explain. Just trying to tune in to how much water is in my body. Two examples: 1) Weigh yourself, then go and drink 16 oz of water, now weigh yourself...you're now ~1 lb heavier...simple. 2) Going to the bathroom? Weigh yourself, then go (to the bathroom), weigh yourself again...you may see a big change.

A steam/sauna, a hot day, extra salt...any of these can make a difference, sometimes in a short amount of time.

As an adult male we are ~60% water (~55% in women) so it makes sense that water (or the saturation thereof) will have the most affect on our weight.

Are you noticing any improvement in your waist? This is usually one of the most affected places (especially if the majority of your body fat is in the mid section). If you aren't seeing a reduction in inches then is it at least getting more firm?

• thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Awesome job this week everyboooooody! It's definitely about finding what works for you and what makes your body feel good. I feel like my body like the lower calories days and my head likes the TDEE days :) Compromise haha.

BBB- I track highest and lowest weight of the week and my goal is to see a downward trend in both numbers. Last week I gained on my highest number, but went right back down this week (and still lost weight from my lowest number each week, too. Our bodies can fluctuate from so many factors that monitoring my weight from a "scientific/observational" mindset vs "I'll throw it out the window if it isn't down a pound!!!" mindset has definitely helped :)
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Busy day for me today so finally checking in! Looks like everyone is doing great and learning stuff (just like carbmonster said!)

With weighing yourself, it's important to find one day per week and go with that weight. Be it a fast day or a non-fast day - just pick one day. I like Friday's since it sets me up for the weekend. Although I was in such a rush this morning I didn't weigh in :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!