Extreme Accountability! ~ November 2014 edition

Options
Aprilfoolbride
Aprilfoolbride Posts: 552 Member
edited October 2014 in Social Groups
tumblr_mvlfwclVfv1ricdyuo1_500.jpg

Here's where you make a plan, set goals for November. Post them and be held accountable! Thanksgiving is a holi-day not a holi-month!

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting the November thread.

I have this plan all ready to go, but I keep questioning whether I'm making the right choice to not renew the gym. Stand by.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Okay, here goes. Still choosing to go with home workout (not renewing gym just yet). When I do it, it kicks my butt. I'm just going to have to employ some good tactics for ensuring that I *do* it.

November goals
    1. Change calorie goal back to my cut goal (my goal is to meet the weekly average).

2. Step goal of 10,000 steps, 4 days per week.

3. Complete full-body weight training per week (mainly dumbbells; probably 4 day split).

4. 8 hours sleep 3x per week.

5. Full stretch routine 1x per week.

6. No chips for one month.

Also continuing letting my ankles/calves heal and doing the exercises, so that I can run again.
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Okay, here goes. Still choosing to go with home workout (not renewing gym just yet). When I do it, it kicks my butt. I'm just going to have to employ some good tactics for ensuring that I *do* it.

November goals
    1. Change calorie goal back to my cut goal (my goal is to meet the weekly average).

3. Complete full-body weight training per week (mainly dumbbells; probably 4 day split).

Also continuing letting my ankles/calves heal and doing the exercises, so that I can run again.

Do you see as good of results from eating your weekly calorie goal as opposed to staying within your daily calorie goal?
  • DterMined2012
    Options
    Hello all! I have been absent for QUITE AWHILE but I'm back and determined! I have goals for November and WILL keep them! Here's my list of goals for November:

1. Workout at least 5 days per week! NO EXCUSES!!! (The days missed if any will be Wednesdays and Sundays).

2. Strength training work outs at least 3 days per week which will be alternated with cardio work out

3. 10,000 steps EVERY day! NO EXCUSES!!!

4. 100 ozs. of water EVERY DAY!!! NO EXCUSES!!

5. The ONLY sugar will be stevia or natural sugars!!! NO EXCUSES!!!

6. The only bread will be low cal wheat or Josephs Flaxs, Oat Bran & whole Wheat Lavash Bread!

7. Have a positive attitude EVERY DAY!!! NO EXCUSES!!!

8. I will revisit my goals daily and assess how I have done. I will address either my NSV of
    success or how/what/why I failed on that day.

9. Pray daily! And read my devotional daily!!

10. I WILL STAY FOCUSED!!!
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options

Do you see as good of results from eating your weekly calorie goal as opposed to staying within your daily calorie goal?

Yes, generally it works for me, but purely for psychological reasons. Different people have different wiring. For me, it helps me to have that flexibility, to be able to go over and not feel like I've "failed" and to be able to use less hungry days to even out those "over" days.

• DterMined2012
    Options
    I understand your rationale and I can see how it would work. It's like the old Weight Watchers where you could bank your points for the weekend or whatever! So you multiply your daily calorie needs x 7 and go from there, correct?
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    I used to have to keep a running tally, kinduv a daily over/under. But now I have the iPad app and it has a "weekly" bar chart that tells me all that. It's very useful. You can even tell it what day to begin the week in settings (Monday for me).
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    As far as goals go this is pretty vague, but my November goal is to pull it back together as far as my eating goes. Nourish my body. No excuses. :)

Working out is the easy part for me so I don't worry about that.
  • Aprilfoolbride
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My big picture November/December goals are: avoid added sugars, be prepared, don't waste cals on blah food, and after a splurge, get back on track with the next meal.

However, for this to work I need to have SMART goals so here goes:
    1. Give self a gold star on calendar on days I avoid added sugars altogether
    2. Be prepared by making breakfast/lunch/snacks the night before
    3. Give self a silver star on calendar on days I skip offered sweet treats that aren’t my favorite
    4. After a splurge, get back on track with next snack or meal
    5. Don’t take more than one day off from exercise in a row
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    To help with my goals, I've set some rules, well "more like guidelines" (argh matey)

1. No coffee, food, iPad,nothing in the morning, til I workout, even if it's just sit-ups.
    2. For every calorie I go over, I'll pay reparations in the form of some exercise whether it be arm circles, squats, jumping jacks, high knees, sit-ups, plank seconds, wall sits seconds, etc (I have a list to choose from) *thanks to Laura for this great idea*
    3. And finally, to go to bed every night at midnight and TRY til at least 12:40 and only after those 40 minutes to give up tossing turning and get out of bed til normal time, but to at least have tried. If it works, I get to bed early, if it doesn't work, I've only tossed and turned for 40 minutes. (Only extreme night owls like me will understand.)
  • DterMined2012
    Options
    To help with my goals, I've set some rules, well "more like guidelines" (argh matey)

1. No coffee, food, iPad,nothing in the morning, til I workout, even if it's just sit-ups.
    2. For every calorie I go over, I'll pay reparations in the form of some exercise whether it be arm circles, squats, jumping jacks, high knees, sit-ups, plank seconds, wall sits seconds, etc (I have a list to choose from) *thanks to Laura for this great idea*
    3. And finally, to go to bed every night at midnight and TRY til at least 12:40 and only after those 40 minutes to give up tossing turning and get out of bed til normal time, but to at least have tried. If it works, I get to bed early, if it doesn't work, I've only tossed and turned for 40 minutes. (Only extreme night owls like me will understand.)
    Like these ideas!!!

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Maybe I need to put myself back on the jumping jacks penalty system!

• DterMined2012
    Options
    In the morning NO coffee or computer.....NOTHING until I do my 7 minute workout! THIS IS GONNA BE TOUGH!!!! If this works I may try it Wednesday :D;)
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Well I'm limping into November, but things are looking up so I'm hoping for a good month.
    1) Need to lose my weight gained in the past 3 weeks
    2) Need to get back into an exercise routine
    So to do that:
    a) Stay within my weekly calorie goal
    b) Do one jumping jack or seal jack in the morning for each calorie over the day before. Yes, doing it the same day or same time would be probably be better for most, but not for me.
    c) I'm coming up with an exercise plan today for the month
  • DterMined2012
    Options
    All my good intentions for accountability totally shot since my neck and shoulder pain which has been present since Oct 28 and could possibly be facing surgery soon :\ and boy do I dread that :'( I can only do the best I can do with my diet and hopefully get some walking in during the times I'm not in bad pain. I can't let this get me down! hekgroxo0hqb.jpg
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options

November goals

Well, time to check in.
    1. Obviously I blew this, especially on lil girl's birthday. But, for the week, I still came in at a modest deficit. Goal @1410, maintenance @1910, this week avg @1640. My hard work early in the week helped lots.
    2. Pretty much. Was way over one day, was a little over 2 days, was 98steps under one day (just b/c I didn't pay attention towards the end of the day, when I could've easily walked 100 steps around the house.) Will try to pay closer attention.
    3. I never thought this would be a fail, but so it is this week. Might have to switch back to a 3 day split, since 4 days might be too much to try to schedule at home.
    4. Tried so hard on the sleep, but had a very rough week for sleep. A couple of nights only getting 3 hours. I do try to throw in naps when I can, and I caught up today, but this is something I really have to figure out because it is so important.
    5. Failed again. Again, really important, but I just can't seem to get it into the schedule.
    6. So far, so good on the chips. However, I did have a dream that I ate chips and then turned to my husband and was like, "Oh no! I ate chips! Why'd I do that?!?" Anyway, glad I have better memory or willpower in real life than in my dreams!

1. This helped! Gonna keep this up as long as my workouts are at home!
    2. I did this one day before lil girl's birthday, mainly to pay ahead of what was coming on lil girl's birthday. I actually "paid ahead" enough for the slight overages all other days of the weekend (not that it matters, b/c I was already well under, earlier in the week); but I didn't pay ahead enough to cover the birthday, by a long shot. That day was just a total loss.
    3. Tried this and ended up tossing and turning for hours. However, it DID work really well at least one night. Another night, it worked but I ended up waking in the middle of the night unable to go back to sleep. I think 1am is better than 12 for those reasons. My one successful night, it was 1am, I just wouldn't've been sleepy enough at 12. Basically, if I'm not asleep in the first 20-30minutes, I'm tossing for hours.

Finally, I looked at my gym card and learned that it doesn't expire til the 19th and I'm still debating rejoining. I had thought I'd wait til Spring, but it all depends on whether I feel like I can get an effective workout at home. Sure, I know it can be done...but can * I * do it--that's the question. Lil girl has been cooperative, but still, it's not always easy to work around her and the cats (the young one is always playing) and the toys everywhere and not having a bench, etc. Will just have to see how this week goes.

• DterMined2012
    Options
    I have missed on so many of my goals due to my neck issues. I should be able to do much better once I have surgery which should relieve this pain I have been in. I'm trying to do the best I can with food and water but gosh it's hard to sit and that seems all I can do :(
  • Aprilfoolbride
    Options
    My big picture November/December goals are: avoid added sugars, be prepared, don't waste cals on blah food, and after a splurge, get back on track with the next meal.

However, for this to work I need to have SMART goals so here goes:
    1. Give self a gold star on calendar on days I avoid added sugars altogether
    2. Be prepared by making breakfast/lunch/snacks the night before
    3. Give self a silver star on calendar on workdays I skip offered sweet treats that aren’t my favorite
    4. After a splurge, get back on track with next snack or meal
    5. Don’t take more than one day off from exercise in a row

1. No gold stars yet. I actually have been LOVING this 20 calorie, fat-free hot chocolate that has just 4g sugar. It’s very cozy and warm and delicious. Plus helps me feel full when I drink it. It’s a little treat I can have daily, I keep the box at work.
    2. I did food prep three days last week. And made all my work meals and snacks except one, when I knew we were having a bagel breakfast and I had it as a treat. Y
    3. FIVE SILVER STARS—one for each workday last week. I wasn’t offered any sweets this weekend. And when my husband went to the market on Saturday, I wrote on top of the list: No Treats. I Mean It!
    4. I did have my pizza splurge meal on Friday night and it was heaven. Maybe it’s because I haven’t had pizza in a long time, but the pie that I had was seriously perfect. I froze the leftovers and am sending in my kid’s lunch.
    5. I definitely took more than one day off exercise in a row last week, but went for a bunch of mid-day walks.

DterMined, weight loss is 80% fork and just 20% feet. So give the 80% your 100%!
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options

November goals

My week is Mon-Sun, but I'm going to go ahead and check-in. This week was a wreck!
    1. Calories In: This was the worst! I was WAY over just about every day. I don't know what happened. Definitely there were some VERY high calorie trigger foods in the house (DH's banana bread, and he also bought a big tin of peanuts which are a top 10 irresistable food for me--both SO high calorie).
    2. Idk, I made it 2 days and I still have today and tomorrow, so still doable and really necessary considering everything else.
    3. Just have to get to the gym tomorrow and I should get this one complete.
    4. This one about as bad as #1. It was really bad some of the days, but I think I caught up a couple days too. I need to be more careful to set my wristband to "sleep" when i nap, so I can track it more accurately.
    5. ugh. *bowing head in shame* Plenty of great calf stretching though.
    6. Success still!

tactics:
    1. This is a good one that I have decided to continue.
    2. Didn't pan out. I was SO far over, there was just no way. They say that the mentality that creates the problem is in no position to fix the problem. That applies here. The emotional place i was in either "resulting in" or "resulting from" all the overeating was just not a place from which I'd say, "Okay, let's do some squats!" No way. I'll still keep it in mind, for when I'm in a better place.
    3. This just didn't work for me either.

So, since I decided to re-join the gym and I know what's working or not (plus, I think I'll be starting back running, yay!!!), I'm going to start again with a new post with revised goals and tactics.

• FromHereOnOut
    Options
    10408967_10154977513495227_1518140314525266493_n.png?oh=ab7683b400dbaa518584fe2b5f077eb5&oe=551E8C0F&__gda__=1423783536_879b45f067311017f3741a027851523f

Last week was rough. I think I ended up succeeding at 2/3 of my goals, but the biggie (calorie goal) I failed so bad, that it tarnished everything else. sigh.

Anyway, dusting self off.

Revised plan for November, since I re-joined the gym and will re-start running.

1. Stick to cut calorie goal, on a weekly average.
    2. Nothing(!) before ab & glute work in the morning M-F! No coffee, no wifi, NO THING!
    3. Full body strength per week. Still working on split plan. Mostly at gym, but might do shoulders at home with dumbbells.
    4. Run 1km ~3x/wk for a week and when ready, increase to 2km, and continue adding 1km per week.
    5. 10,000 steps daily 4x/week (although I will go easy on this while I'm adjusting to running again--meaning I won't pace the apt to get the steps if my legs are sore, but most of my steps will be gotten in my normal routine)
    6. No chips for the month.

Continuing calf exercises and stretches.