The problem with coconut oil in coffee...

Options
is that when some klutz splashes onto their khaki shorts, it leaves oil stains! :s

Replies

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Oh no! I'll have to keep that in mind considering I always spill stuff on myself.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    The stains should come out in the wash since coconut oil is water soluble. So that's a plus.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,511 Member
    Options
    Oooh.... I did not know that. Was just going based on my experience with other oils (olive, bacon fat, etc).

Thank you!!
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    is that when some klutz splashes onto their khaki shorts, it leaves oil stains! :s

For me, the coconut oil jar keeps leaving oily rings on my granite kitchen counter tops, no matter how much I wipe down the jar or the counter. I've just kept it permanently wrapped in paper towels to avoid this.

I guess that would also be the problem with living somewhere that coconut oil is liquid at room temperature.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    My jar doesn't do that. Of course, at best mine is semi-solid at room temp (max of 80 degrees here), and I don't have granite.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I've tried a couple of different brands of it, some more solid then others. I actually like the more liquidy stuff as I find the measurements more accurate. I haven't spilled any on fabric, and unfortunately no granite to worry about in my old kitchen...however, I do find my coffee mug and blender frequently come out of the dishwasher with an oily coating, so I just make sure to handwash them now.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    I actually don't mind it being mostly solid, as I sort mine out in grams which is as precise as I am going to get.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    DAM5412 wrote: »
    I've tried a couple of different brands of it, some more solid then others. I actually like the more liquidy stuff as I find the measurements more accurate. I haven't spilled any on fabric, and unfortunately no granite to worry about in my old kitchen...however, I do find my coffee mug and blender frequently come out of the dishwasher with an oily coating, so I just make sure to handwash them now.

When I'm done, I blend some soap and water in the blender and wipe it down with a sponge immediately. It helps with the oily coating.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I keep a jar in my desk at work. This summer I absent-mindedly opened it sideways...not thinking about the solid/melty thing. It was not in a glass jar...it was an opaque brown tub. I spilled 2/3 of a full tub right into my lap, right there at my desk. i travel for work, so luckily it was monday and my suitcase was in my trunk. i had to squish-walk my way downstairs (took the elevator so I wouldn't slip and fall...lol) and grab a change of clothes. It took a couple of washings at the hotel, but my clothes washed up fine, and I was very....moisturized. My cubicle smelled like the beach for like a week!! it was awesome.
  • BansheeCat
    Options
    lol nill4me

I have not been blessed with a coconut oil spill yet but it'll happen. Probably when I'm half asleep making my way to the coffee maker. I make it bullet proof every morning.
  • YourKnight
    YourKnight Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    crisb2 wrote: »
    For me, the coconut oil jar keeps leaving oily rings on my granite kitchen counter tops, no matter how much I wipe down the jar or the counter.

Yikes! We finally have granite counter tops in our new house. I need to be more careful with the coconut oil! I suppose that's probably true with any oil, like olive oil?
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    YourKnight wrote: »
    crisb2 wrote: »
    For me, the coconut oil jar keeps leaving oily rings on my granite kitchen counter tops, no matter how much I wipe down the jar or the counter.

Yikes! We finally have granite counter tops in our new house. I need to be more careful with the coconut oil! I suppose that's probably true with any oil, like olive oil?

You can have granite sealed to prevent staining. We just got new granite in on our bathroom sinks. I know both Home Depot and Lowe's sells kit to seal granite. I will be doing this in the next week or so.