Where Did You Lose Your Weight?

Options
2BeHappy2
2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
I had my 1 week post-op appt last Fri, Id lost 14 lbs in my 1st week BUT, where from?!?
This was my 1st day venturing out since having come home from surgery so I hadn't really paid much attention to clothing.
Since we were already out, we decided to get our grocery shopping done, yes, my husband still expects to eat "his" regular food :grinning:
I noticed I kept having to adjust the top part of my shirt as it kept wanting to fall off my shoulders.
I believe I now know where my body is targeting my weight loss and Im so saddened by this :sob:
I was really hoping it would start at my stomach and work its way down to my thighs/hips and leave the good parts....my chest.
Now it looks like my tummy is bigger because it doesn't have my top part to balance things out.
I came home to see if that was the only shirt and quickly found that I am now the owner of tops that hang very loosely (to the point of drooping way too low in the front) while they still remain the same around my center.
If it had been reverse and my stomach would've shrunk I would've been fine with this because then my shirts would've just hung on me but since its going in reverse & I hadn't expected that, I don't know what to do for clothing :neutral_face:

Replies

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hang in there --- it will probably level out. It just seems like certain parts are losing first. For instance, I swear my feet have gone down by about 1/4 size --- just enough to be in-between sizes now! And my back seems smaller. But my problem area (stomach) still looks the same. I think it will just take time for the trouble spots.
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You will lose everywhere I promise. I was in 26/28 pants and now can wear a size 8 so it will come off your stomach. I was not ready for the teeny tiny boob issue but they are now almost microscopic lol so just be prepared for that. Victoria Secret push ups are my favorite accessory now and you can't tell. I lost in my feet too!! I was a 9/10 and now am a size 7 shoe. Very odd but good
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My shoulders have always been smaller than tummy and hips. Sadiegirl is right, it will come off everywhere. The only thing I shop for at Layne Bryant anymore is their plunge bras. There's enough push up in them to make me look like I have a bustline. In fact, even though I look like two of those long balloons, partially filled with water, since I've lost several band sizes, I've actually gone up one cup size. :blush: So don't worry, eventually you may look bigger on the top than the bottom.

To date I've gone from a size 32/34 to an 18 or XL. Ring size went from 10 to 7 on the left and 7.5 on the right. Shoe size is strange as the length of the foot is the same, so 10-11 depending on the style, but now I have narrow, skinny feet so all my shoes are too big in width. It's comical the changes that come with the weight loss!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I seem to have lost fairly evenly. I think it might be because I was exercising for months before I had surgery, maybe? It will even out for sure though. I think sometimes we might just notice it in certain places more than others! And the boob thing - ugh, it is not cute and not my favorite thing, but like Sadie and Pat said, a good push up bra will be your best friend!
    7396232.png
  • bethkallastrask
    bethkallastrask Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had the most weight around my stomach and that is where my last 15 pounds still are. I lost in my chest over the last few months, but it is evening out. Get used to your clothes falling off and don't get attached to anything cute! If you have something you like a lot buy it in the next size down too!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    This is the pits! Been there! It will eventually come off everywhere, but you can't predict when and in what order. I love to take my measurements periodically and compare. There is something about micromanaging my weight loss that is very satisfying. I will say that, in the beginning, the first few places that I lost weight were not the places where I would have thought "I really need to lose there". I lost a lot in my face, neck and through my back, then saw a lot of change in my waist and hips. The photos of my face from June (when I had VSG) compared to today's face is really astounding. I went to a wedding last week, and people who haven't seen me in 5 years (and 70 lbs) did not recognize me. It will happen for you. One day, you will look in the mirror, and instead of seeing uneven weight loss, you will see "AMAZING"! Good luck to you :smile:
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    KateMatt, its funny you mention the back because I did notice a few days ago that my back skin has its own area separate from the rest of my body...LOL!
    It used to be like 1 whole roll of skin and now (20lbs pre-op and 14lbs 1 wk post op), it seems I have a back w/ a separate tail :blush:
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I've always been very fortunate to be a size bigger on top than on bottom. And it WILL eventually come off everywhere. Weird thing is, I still see a fat roll round my middle (naked) that's not there in my size 4 skinny jeans! I mean how big can it be if I fit in those jeans?! And I concurr... get a good bra. Do it now if you can afford it! You'll be surprised to find your waist reappearing already if you lift the girls back where they belong I bet!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    bikrchik - have you considered this is skin and not fat?

The best way to ensure you lose fat and develop a pleasing post op shape is to start working out as soon as possible. At the start you shoudl be walking but you will need to transition to some form of weight training (consult your doctor) to make sure you keep the muscle and lose the fat.
  • talinaklocke
    talinaklocke Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »
    I had my 1 week post-op appt last Fri, Id lost 14 lbs in my 1st week BUT, where from?!?
    This was my 1st day venturing out since having come home from surgery so I hadn't really paid much attention to clothing.
    Since we were already out, we decided to get our grocery shopping done, yes, my husband still expects to eat "his" regular food :grinning:
    I noticed I kept having to adjust the top part of my shirt as it kept wanting to fall off my shoulders.
    I believe I now know where my body is targeting my weight loss and Im so saddened by this :sob:
    I was really hoping it would start at my stomach and work its way down to my thighs/hips and leave the good parts....my chest.
    Now it looks like my tummy is bigger because it doesn't have my top part to balance things out.
    I came home to see if that was the only shirt and quickly found that I am now the owner of tops that hang very loosely (to the point of drooping way too low in the front) while they still remain the same around my center.
    If it had been reverse and my stomach would've shrunk I would've been fine with this because then my shirts would've just hung on me but since its going in reverse & I hadn't expected that, I don't know what to do for clothing :neutral_face:

I've noticed with some of my shirts that I have this problem with the only thing I can do is to alter them (I can't afford to be buying new clothes all the time lol) the best way to alter shirts is to sew along the seam that is on the top of the sleeve/shoulder area. This helps to stop them from dropping to low until you're at a stage where new clothes are worth buying.
    Hope that helps a little.
    (oh and for me the biggest spot I've noticed so far is my bottom! My jeans have a whole LOT of room in the butt now lol I guess this should be a good thing, but it's certainly not very comfortable to wear jeans with that much room in them lol)
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You really can't control where your weight loss will occur. And your basic body shape is your basic body shape. I am naturally pear shaped. Heavy or thin I'm pear shaped. Exercise has helped change my shape some, and change my body composition (muscle mass v. fat mass) but I've had to accept that I will always be somewhat pear shaped and just need to work on being the best pear I can be.

As far as clothes, I shopped almost exclusively in thrift stores while I was rapidly losing weight. Maybe the 1st 18 months post op. I was not unusual for me to shrink out of clothes in 1-3 months and my budget simply couldn't accommodate non-thrift store clothes that were basically disposable. Now that my weight has stabilized out a bit more, I'm willing to spend a little more on clothes, since I'll be able to use them longer term.