Beef Bone Broth cooking

Options
HestiaMoon1
HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
I made broth overnight from our freshly harvested grass fed cow and it occurred to me that the smell might put off a person who is doing it for the first time. I don't know how bones come from a grocery store butcher, but this was your basic meat locker which is really busy with hunters this time of year, so the bones were still pretty meaty and bloody. So it smelled especially strong, but that's OK, just so you know.
You can make it less smelly by roasting them for awhile before putting them in the slow roaster and that will help.
A quick par-boil of the bones helps, too.
The thing to remember is it won't smell or taste like that once you have it mixed into a stew or soup.
Drinking it straight up .... well, you are already bada$$ so that won't bother you anyway ;)

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yup, totally true. I even make pork broth and I don't skim/strain and it tastes fine as long as it's in something else.
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options
    Yup, totally true. I even make pork broth and I don't skim/strain and it tastes fine as long as it's in something else.

I got the tongue back, too. Any ideas?
  • Captaincove
    Captaincove Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Add the following to improve flavor and aroma. 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar 2 large onions, unpeeled and coarsely, chopped, 2 carrots, scrubbed and coarsely chopped, 3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped, 1 bunch fresh parsley, 2-3 garlic cloves, lightly smashed.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I have my first beef tongue but it's still sitting in the freezer. I need cilantro for the recipe I want to try.... so it'll have to wait until I fly in cilantro. Tacos de Lengue (if I remember the name correctly!)
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options
    Add the following to improve flavor and aroma. 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar 2 large onions, unpeeled and coarsely, chopped, 2 carrots, scrubbed and coarsely chopped, 3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped, 1 bunch fresh parsley, 2-3 garlic cloves, lightly smashed.

Thanks you, Captain Cove, I actually did all that ...except for garlic because garlic cooked too long gets a metallic taste, at least to me, and this was going for 20 hours.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Thanks you, Captain Cove, I actually did all that ...except for garlic because garlic cooked too long gets a metallic taste, at least to me, and this was going for 20 hours.

You can add it toward the end, too.

I got the tongue back, too. Any ideas?

From what I hear, tongue is a great introductory "weird" cut, because it's muscle meat like everything else. My understanding is that it's kind of like the roast cuts -- low and slow for best results.

Here's a recipe from Mark's Daily Apple for beef tongue.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Information varies. I had read that tongue is mostly fat. Hmmm. I will soon find out! Oh, and thanks for the recipe, I can get all the ingredients except a fresh jalepeno but I do have some jarred.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Information varies. I had read that tongue is mostly fat. Hmmm. I will soon find out! Oh, and thanks for the recipe, I can get all the ingredients except a fresh jalepeno but I do have some jarred.

Considered a "fatty cut" perhaps? The tongue is undeniably a muscle, but it's possible there's fat within it.

Maybe it's "lean fat." :laugh:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Yeah, it must be muscle so I'm not sure how it can be fatty. At least not what I consider fatty. lol
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options
    I was sitting with my cows this morning and watched one throw back her head and stick her great big tongue out to lick her back, or spit on it, or whatever it is she's doing, she does it all the time ... Totally not into the idea of eating tongue, now.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Yeah & they always have it up their nostrils! Just toooooo gross for me!!!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I can't really relate to being grossed out and that certainly wouldn't help with trying an unfamiliar food.... obviously it's cleaned before it's prepared. I know you gals are joking but even on the IPMG on Facebook there are far too many types that are easily grossed and then freak on the others when it is suggested that they open their mind a bit. For the sake of one's health, one should change the inner dialogue. I am open to trying anything that might improve my health and even if I don't like something I'll keep trying it, trying it, trying it. It takes many tries to develop a taste for a new food.

My kid often has an "ewww, gross" reaction to new foods or the mention of people eating things we don't usually eat (bugs, other stuff). I always ask her: "why do you think it's gross?" It gives here pause to analyze her preconceived notions. Of course, she's only 7. lol
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    The best way to eat tongue is to get someone else to cook it for you. It is actually really yummy.
    There was a big article in yesterday's paper about the future of food and it included a lot of bugs. I'm with your kid "ewww, gross" on that one.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    vhuber wrote: »
    Yeah & they always have it up their nostrils! Just toooooo gross for me!!!

If it makes you feel any better, it actually has a skin that you peel off after you cook it. :smile:
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Oh I know how it is cooked & what it taste like. We grew up with butchering. They ate the tongue, heart, liver, gizzards & testicles when they had brandings!
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I've had beef tongue a few times. And it's DELICIOUS. My Asian friends made it once on the grill, and the second time in the oven. It's not fatty, and the one's I've tried were very tender.
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options
    I'm eating a cow I raised ... so, I can't be that grossed out, I guess. I just haven't taken the tongue from harvest to cooking before, though I have eaten it. It will be my
    "scary" thing to try one day to get me out of my comfort zone!
  • Captaincove
    Captaincove Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to my first Beef Tongue and Pork Belly. I've seen some good recipes and can't wait to try them.