Lab Work...

Options
2BeHappy2
2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
If an A1C can detect as far back as 3 months how does it work for protein results?
When I went in on my 1 week post-op, I was very honest and told the office lady that IMO I was doing good on getting in the 1/2 required as I was struggling to even get that amount.
She was not at all sympathetic and came across rather callous at "forgetting" that my insides had just been messed with.
On my way out she informs me that when I return in 1 month, I will be having lab work done to check my protein and that they best be where "I know" theyre suppose to be at.
Today I am 2 weeks out and although I have brought up my #'s some, Im still falling short of the least required (75).
Yesterday I tried eating more than I should've and only caused myself to vomit.
I can make a Protein Shake (25 grams 1 scoop of powder, 1 gram from unsweetened almond milk and 2 TBS PB2) for a total of 31 cals.
I have found some Soy Milk that has 6 grams of protein, unfortunately Ive already opened this milk so I really need to use it up 1st.
The problem is, its taking me about 2 meals just to drink one 8oz, depending on its thickness (like when use the vanilla powder its a milder taste so I add a little banana which gives it the extra flavor but then makes it thicker).
Im trying to get these protein shakes in, drink water (which Im also falling short on) and incorporate real food into my new diet....aaaahhhh!!!
I woke up earlier than usual to find that I was actually hungry which has allowed me to input that into todays food log.
I have done some calculations and if I can keep drinking through the night I may be able to get in 81 grams of protein for my total day.
Id rather not because Id like to give my stomach a break but also, patients at this center are required to wear a leg pump for circulation while sleeping for the 1st month.
Trying to remove this as youre trying to rush to the bathroom is not the easiest!
This will only have been a lucky day because I was able to start eating sooner in the day but I would not count on this to happen all the time.
It was so nice when I could get 24 grams on a small 4oz piece of steak, truth be told I could eat more than that and I was doing good on protein...lol!
Those are the days...when protein was not the 1st nor the last thing on my mind :neutral_face:

Replies

• benagek
    benagek Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't like mixing my own protein drinks because I just can't get a good consistency and then they don't taste good and I don't get the protein in that I need. I have found the premixed ones to be so much better...AND the Premier Protein brand can give you a whopping 30 grams of protein for 11 oz. That sure helped me in the beginning until I could figure out how to eat more protein. I'm still trying to figure out how to get more from my meals though as I'm still only reaching about 65-80grams a day. I'm only 5 weeks out from surgery though so I know it will get better as I can add more items to my diet. Every day gets a little easier!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Isopure drinks from GNC go down like water and have a ton of protein. I used them in the first few days out. It is a lot thinner than any chocolate or vanilla based drink I have found.

Syntrax nectar is also pretty thin when mixed.

Good luck! It will keep getting better.

Rob

• 2BeHappy2
    Options
    So no one really knows how far back protein levels are detected :confused: ?
    I was able to finally hit 70 today which is on the low scale of what Im required to take in but at least I managed that!
    When I was looking for shakes/powders they couldn't be more than 25 per scoop but once I add the "extra's" they end up being about 30 for 8oz.
    I struggle with 8 so 11 would definitely add more to it!
    I use a small blender which works really good.
    Pure Protein is the powder that I get...I have it in vanilla and chocolate.
    The vanilla is very mild in flavor so when I was allowed to incorporate banana's (2nd week), I started blending a small amount into it.
    In the 2nd week I was also allowed to have creamy PB but Im trying to not use it since its high(er) in fats.
    Ive only been adding 1 Tbsp to give it that extra boost of flavor whereas the chocolate has more flavor so for added protein Ive been adding in 2Tbsp of PB2 (which is mild in flavor)and nothing else.
    I tried some store brand unflavored protein powder in hopes of upping my protein in my foods...started w/ broth and it was absolutely disgusting!
    It was grainy and gritty....like Id just put sand in my mouth, it was awful :anguished:
    I cant recall how long Im required to be on shakes before fully turning over to foods for all my protein but I cant wait :smiley:
    Every week is like opening up 1 of those advent calendars at Christmas to see what's behind the paper window...seeing what I can add into my short list!
    Some things just don't seem worth the effort of making & filling up.
    Like this week Im allowed to have Cream of wheat...1 pk has only 3 protein...Id have to eat all 10 packets to get an real substantial protein value Plus 1 Cup would be like 2 meals so that's only like 1.5 protein at each time :sob:
    Life used to be so much easier when a simple 4oz of steak would give you 24 grams of protein at just 1 sitting!
  • radcas11
    radcas11 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I struggled with getting protein in the beginning too. I had to make myself drink the little bit of protein I got. I never got anywhere close to what was needed. As a result, I did lose some of my hair, but I knew that was a consequence. I just got so sick of those protein shakes, and now I can't even stand to look at one!
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Radcas, that's me right there!
    Initially I was glad to have found a powder w/ a taste that I could enjoy but the party seems to be over quite suddenly and taste buds have ran :flushed:
    Now its the dreaded...I have to drink enough of these just to come close to 70 while trying to get in their food suggestions to fill in or make up the difference....1 cup of Cream of wheat for a total of 3 Protein does not see worth eating over 2 meals!
    Now a 4oz steak for 24 protein...that carries a punch :wink:
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    IMO it's better to be a little short on protein than to eat too much and make yourself sick. Especially since "your insides had just been messed with", you don't want to be stressing them by throwing up. I know every doc seems to be different, but my doc's rules for the first few months after surgery were: Liquids first (Don't get dehydrated!), Protein second, Anything else last.

Try getting some unflavored protein and mixing it in your cream of wheat/other foods. Not all foods are great for mixing (like I found yogurt didn't mix particularly well), but most foods you can't tell and it is a nice change from shakes.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Yeah...I had that in mind from the beginning as a "subtle" way to get extra protein in.
    Then I made the mistake of buying a generic store brand of unflavored powder, mixed it in w/ my 1st week of broth and gagged it up!
    It was like Id taken a swig of sand and there wasn't enough I could do to fully get all of it out of my mouth :anguished:
    Gargling, brushing my teeth, it was like dislodged deep down in my throat, it was gross!
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I had trouble getting in all the protein and water but now I use 1.5 to 2.0 scoops of Unjury unflavored with a 16 oz water bottle with ice and two Crystal Light packets in a blender bottle. It is not "thick" and takes on the flavor of whatever CL (or any other SF drink mix). That has really helped me because I am getting both protein and water in at the same time. I used to try to drink Premier Protein pre-mixed drinks but I found them too thick and too sweet.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    rpyle111 has it right. I lived on ISPOURE clear liquid protein drinks. 40g protein in 20oz fluid. Gives you fluid and protein at the same time. Many "jolly rancher" type flavors. I drank 2 per day for the first 2 months which really helped me push up my protein. Just sip one all day. I preferred the Sour Apple and Blue Rasberry.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Try some thinner products. Isopure is one. Nectar which mixes with water is another. I sipped Nectar lemon iced tea all day long for the first several months till I could work in protein bars as snacks.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I second Rob's suggestion about Isopure. It is as thin as water, and reminiscent of Gatorade (though the mango peach flavor reminds me of Peach Snapple). 2 bottles total 80 grams of protein. Substitute that for water during the day, and just sip all day.

You can totally do it. A lot of people have a hard time with the creamy protein shakes.

The protein labs are part of the comprehensive metabolic panel lab tests that we all get done regularly. If you've had labs done recently, see what your albumin and globulin levels are - those are the proteins they check for. I don't know how long it takes to build your levels up. As far as I know, there is no grounds for comparing this to A1c.

You've got to get the protein in. Hair loss is just one early and obvious symptom of malnutrition. Albumin, one of the proteins they check for in the labs, plays a key role in PREVENTING FLUID FROM LEAKING OUT OF YOUR BLOOD VESSELS. Yikes, right?!? So, take it seriously. I am sure the person at the MD's office was insensitive, and that blows, but they are concerned for a good reason.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I really couldn't drink the too thick, too sweet protein shakes in the beginning either. They kept me in the hosptial an extra day because I couldn't get even one whole shake down in a full day! I did so much better at home with the protein infused chicken and beef broth and the Isopure. I lived on those for the liquid portion of recovery and in fact continued to use them as I added food back in to suppliment just to make sure I got all my protein in daily.

I'm sorry the person in the doctor's office was so harsh, but she was telling you the truth. Getting your protein is so very important. Try some other options like the Isopure and the chicken and beef broth. If you can't find protein broth, buy low sodium swanson broth and add unflavored protein powder to it. Works just as well.

Pat
  • bivanusro
    bivanusro Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    "Yesterday I tried eating more than I should've and only caused myself to vomit."

Please , please , don't do that no more! Proteins are important , however , YOU are the most important ! On the long term forced eating is much more dangerous and can lead to more serious issues than a lower protein input.

My surgeon was very direct to me: f*** the shakes as soon as possible , eat freshly minced meat in home-cooked dishes. Fortunately I was able to follow it's advice and since Week3 I'm a carnivore :# (I know that not everyone can tolerate/likes meat , and you need a really good blender for the start-up )

Just earlier today my 30 days check-up results came. According to the analysis type , the good interval is between 64 and 83 g/l and my result is ... 67.7 g/l o:)
    What is even more important however , is that the mean blood sugar ( HbA1c) has plummeted from 10% to 7.07% <3

In the end however , is not about the analysis , is about how YOU feel >:D<
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Thanks Bivanusro!
    I guess Im just feeling anxious because of the way I was talked down to and made to feel awful, especially only having been 1 wk out at that point :confused:
    I am now at 5 wks starting today and although Im close(R) to my required (70 being the lowest recommended...I know I said 75 in my earlier post), I am still not always there...its sometimes a hit or miss.
    I tried to explain to the surgeons nurse that as my options for protein widened, so would/should my protein #'s, she only brushed me off.
    IDK how they think having only a portion of your stomach is going to magically hold 70-100 protein right off the bat!
    Today I start into my 5th week and Im trying to get more solid protein vs liquid protein but Im still having to supplement w/ a shake just to get me at the tip of 70 or slightly above.
    I'm curious how far back protein levels can be detected.
    Like the A1C can be viewed as far back as 3 months!
    I want them to see the reflection of my current progress, not #'s from my 1st couple weeks as that's not a true count of where Im at now :neutral_face:
    If any of you w/ an open diary would like to friend me so I can get ideas on high(er) protein value foods, that would be greatly appreciated :smile:
    I could use all the help I can get!
    Im not 1 to disappoint and I really try to live up to mine and others expectations so I want to do good by them and myself :relieved: