"Yeah but I lost X lbs doing this..."

Options
croooz
croooz Posts: 48 Member
I noted someone at work was eating a salad and drinking their protein. So I asked why not just eat the protein in the form of...oh I don't know...real food? Chicken, meat, eggs...anything but some drink. "Well...I've lost 9lb so far doing it this way." The day before they had gone hog-wild at a luncheon and were counting the days till they were off "the diet" and achieved X weight. I stupidly asked "So you like the way you looked at that weight?" The look and reply was one of bewilderment..."what do you mean...that's THE weight I need to be..." I said told them that I don't care about what the scale says but the tape measure and my reflection... It was like I grew a second head and started speaking in a foreign language.

All I could think about was how like Agent Smith said in the Matrix "I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery." In other words I opine too many of us equate that dieting isn't really dieting unless we're suffering and miserable. It's almost a convention of the miserable to discuss dieting trials...and when I suggest switching to a sustainable approach like IIFYM they cackle and tell me I'm the one who's insane... huh?! "That's not a diet, that's just eating sensibly...if I could do that I wouldn't need a diet!!" I was speechless...

Replies

• Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You are very sensible
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If no misery to speak of, then no excuses to bring up as blame when it fails to take hold later and the weight is back. They are just pre-planning, even sub-conscientiously.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Martyrdom is addictive.