need more info on keto

twilasue54
twilasue54 Posts: 42 Member
I am wanting to try this, but I am not sure I understand how it is different than low carb? I know it is high fat, but is that it?

Replies

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Low Carb is a big umbrella that encompasses a lot of things. Wikipedia is pretty helpful here in defining terms:
    The term "low-carbohydrate diet" is generally applied to diets that restrict carbohydrates to less than 20% of caloric intake, but can also refer to diets that simply restrict or limit carbohydrates to less than recommended proportions (generally less than 45% of total energy coming from carbohydrates).

Keto is a more specific, much lower carb, more restrictive (but frequently more successful) type of low carb diet. If we're talking %'s to compare to the quote above, most keto folks are getting somewhere around 5% of their calories from carbs. But %'s are annoying. Grams are better. For most people, starting the keto diet means limiting your carbs to 25g or less a day, 20g for some. This is compared to 300g/day recommended by the dept of health. It is high in fat.

Reddit's keto forum has what I consider the best FAQ/starter set of information on keto:

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

Even if you decide not to do keto, there is a ton of great information in there.
  • twilasue54
    twilasue54 Posts: 42 Member
    thank you, I will check it out