Daily calories?

Options
First off, Hi I am new here, and fairly new to MFP and weight loss in general.

Ok, between MFP and other calculators, for my size and life style, to lose 2 lbs a week, It says I should be eating between 2770-3200 calories ( I chose MFP because it was the lowest). To me that still seems like a LOT of calories to be eating. I am trying to lose 300+ pounds within this life time.

Right now, most days, I am having a hard time convincing myself to eat between 1000-1200 because I fear that anything over that is going to make me gain wait.
also, after reading peoples posts in the regular bored, makes me feel as if the walking and everything I have been doing is not really burning any calories. Though I would think going from no exercise at all to walking and moving around for an hour would amount to something.

Anyway, I guess all I'm looking for is reassurance that the calories given to me is a normal amount to eat and still be able to succeed.

Replies

• smalleyez06
    smalleyez06 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to loose 300 lbs yes it is normal. It is trying to get you to loose weight at a healthy rate. Mine was at 2100 and I started out weighin 333 lbs. I personally lowered it to 1900 on my own. For some people 1200 is enough because they are already much smaller. As you loose weight your calorie intake will go down as well. My doctor didn't even put me on a 1200 calorie diet. If you also go through the success stories most of the people who started out larger also started out only walking and it served them well.
    Adding an hour of walking would help me out as well but I am naturally an active person and I have been down this road before and I know what I like to do. I love Zumba and right now that is what I am sticking with. Personally I can't wait to get back to the gym and take classes but that is because I am ready for it and it steps up what I do on a daily basis. My job requires a lot of walking and moving already.
    Doing such a low calorie diet will make you drop the weight quickly but can also set you up for failure. Steady is the way for it to be done.
  • MarshallBlaire
    MarshallBlaire Posts: 15 Member
    Options
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Almost everyone here in the 300+ category started with walking. Doing anything more strenuous will either injure you or burn you out very quickly. Start with walking at a pace that's just quicker than a stroll. Track it using an app on your phone. That way you'll know when you're slowing down. Aim to make it burn a bit but don't overdo it.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    There is an app that will let you know when you slow down?
  • theloodevil
    theloodevil Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The calories given seem right. If you are comfortable with the lower end of the range then go ahead and start there. Give it time if you are going to shoot for a calorie intake number give it a few weeks to see results and your body to adjust. MFP is great to be able to track what works and doesn't, log your food, exercise and weight so that you can see over time what worked and what didn't.
    I know if I try and go too low thinking that will help lose more it really doesn't because I tend to binge later blowing all that I worked for. Things that have helped me are making sure I always eat breakfast within 30mins of waking up and I eat every 3 hours through out the day with my last meal about 12 hours from my first meal. I had a trainer do a meal plan with me that did the 3 hour thing and it really was successful at getting my metabolism going with the amount of exercise I do it works best, I start to know before the 3 hour alarm on my phone because I start to feel the hunger. This works for me because I am the type to normally go without eating for long periods through out the day which isn't good either because then I would think I could have a large dinner but really my body couldn't ever work that off.
    Great job on the walking for cardio it will help you don't listen to other people that say just walking won't help. You are doing great. You will get to a point where you are ready to increase your intensity or resistance that continual increase will help with the weight loss. Just know your body. I like a workout with weights and intense cardio bursts but I also do elliptical cardio as well with a goal of always moving up the level. Just know your body and your limits. Injuries suck and you may get them but don't let them ruin all your progress. I tore a calf muscle this spring and it was really painful but I finally am not scared to push my legs again. I think you will like to see how your body gets stronger. I feel like the weakest person in the gym most days but I am the strongest I have ever been and I am proud of myself for that.
    You are doing great!