Bacon Jerky

Options
sickandfat
sickandfat Posts: 69 Member
Has anyone tried the New Oscar Mayer Bacon Jerky? I saw it at my Walmart.

Replies

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Wow. No I haven't. I used to make jerky and always used the leanest cut of beef, so I wonder how all the bacon fat will be in jerky.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It's chewy, but not horrible. I sometimes buy it to keep around as an "emergency" snack. I almost never snack. But, there will often be times when I plan on eating around 5pm but find out we're meeting people around 8pm. I will grab something small (like the bacon jerky or a hard boiled egg) to fill the gap while I wait.
  • sickandfat
    Options
    Thank you frob23, I found the bacon jerky in the cold section. (where the sandwich stuff is located, bologna etc.) and as lulalacroix was wondering about the fat, it did have some fat in it. I am going to try it and maybe nuke it a little. It looks good to me, but I will see. I will let both of you know. I am not a big fan of the dry jerky. Smells bad to me plus you need knives for teeth to chew it up. Ha! Ha! You said that the bacon jerky is also chewy. Maybe jerky is not for me???
  • Tootce01
    Tootce01 Posts: 184
    Options
    I buy Oberto's Bacon Jerky on occasion at Walmart (by checkout with all the other jerky). Like frob23, I use it as an emergency snack.
  • sickandfat
    Options
    Thank you Tootce01. I am going to look for the Oberto's Bacon Jerky at my Walmart. Hope they have it? I am looking for snack food to use if I need them.
  • sickandfat
    Options
    Hi, well I went to Walmart and took a second look at the Oscar Myer bacon jerky and it just looks ok. It had a high price also, I think it was about $4.98 and serves only about 1 1/2. I was going to buy a pack but all the packs were outdated. So I am just going to fry me some bacon if I want some. Ha! Ha! I also looked for the Oberto's bacon jerky and did not find it?

• farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Dunno if you have a HyVee around but I bought some HyVee Brand bacon jerky and eh... it was ok. I expected it to taste like cold bacon. I think I'd freeze some cooked bacon next time and baggie it up yourself. But if you are in a hurry and need to grab something sure. Just have lots of water...its super salty
  • sickandfat
    Options
    I am learning something new every day. Thank you. I do not have any jerky but I like your idea of freezing up some bacon. I love to cook and freeze meals but have not thought about freezing snacks. Great Idea!
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    sickandfat wrote: »
    Thank you frob23, I found the bacon jerky in the cold section. (where the sandwich stuff is located, bologna etc.) and as lulalacroix was wondering about the fat, it did have some fat in it. I am going to try it and maybe nuke it a little. It looks good to me, but I will see. I will let both of you know. I am not a big fan of the dry jerky. Smells bad to me plus you need knives for teeth to chew it up. Ha! Ha! You said that the bacon jerky is also chewy. Maybe jerky is not for me???

It may help you to know that jerky isn't meant to be chewed right away. Our local butcher who makes/smokes his own jerky for his store, told my hubby this very thing because he was chewing it and it was hurting his teeth.

You suck it instead. You take a bite of jerky, and put it in your mouth between your gums and cheeks or in your lip and the saliva inflates it to a piece of steak (good jerky anyway). Then, you chew it up.

Jerky can be savored. Much like chocolate. Chewing chocolate ruins the flavor and texture. Put a piece in your mouth on the tongue and let it melt. Try it and see if you don't agree.

• sickandfat
    Options
    Oh my! I had no idea. It makes sense. Good information. Maybe I will rethink jerky and give it a try the right way. Thank you sljohnson1207.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    off base, but have you noticed how much the cost of jerky has increased?
  • sickandfat
    Options
    Yes I have and so are meats. In fact everything in the store is so high? I really try to budget but it is getting harder. It is just me and my husband now. He does not do a LCHF diet like I am doing so I have to buy him sugar snacks. Cookies etc. He is a sweet guy and he does 100 % support me and my LCHF diet. I have never been a big sweet eater. Thank goodness. My devil was biscuits, potatoes, starchey vegetables. Now cauliflower is my main friend and I love it. I am from the south and like to cook and have found so many good low carb recipes. My husband even likes most of them. Sometimes it is hard to cook for him and then for me. I am doing ok with it. It would be nice if we both were doing LCHF.