Recipes

Options
Mihani
Mihani Posts: 3,897 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
minimalistbaker.com/southwest-tofu-scramble/

Made this for breakfast this morning. Easily made ETL by not using the olive oil and salt. It was really good, and will likely be my new go to tofu scramble recipe. I made the recipe as is other than leaving those out, added probably an extra cup of kale and chopped up the onions and red pepper so they were more spread throughout the scramble.

Replies

• tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving Non-Meat Loaf
    www.DrFuhrman.com

Serves: 6
    Preparation Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
    4 tablespoons water
    2 teaspoons Bragg Liquid Aminos
    1 box soft tofu, drained and patted dry with paper towel
    3/4 cup chopped walnuts
    1 1/4 cups chopped onions
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    2 cups chopped portobello mushrooms
    1 tablespoon water
    1 tablespoon Dr. Fuhrman's VegiZest or other n-salt-seasoning blend, adjusted to taste
    2 teaspoons Spike (no salt)
    1 1/2 teaspoons oregano or Dr. Fuhrman's MatoZest
    1 1/2 teaspoons basil
    1/2 teaspoon sage
    3/4 cup whole grain bread crumbs
    1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix arrowroot powder, water, aminos, and tofu together in a high-powered blender. Add walnuts & blend until smooth.

Saute onions, celery, and mushrooms in water with seasonings and herbs until vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally.

In a bowl, mix together tofu mixture, vegetables, bread crumbs and cooked rice.

With a paper towel, spread a small amount of olive oil in a loaf pan. Add mixture to pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes. Turn loaf out and slice.

Note: May be served with low sodium ketchup and thinly sliced raw onion.
    Per Serving:
    CALORIES 279; PROTEIN 13g; CARBOHYDRATES 30g; TOTAL FAT 13.7g; SATURATED FAT 1.6g; CHOLESTEROL 0.1mg; SODIUM 206mg; FIBER 3.8g; BETA-CAROTENE 347ug; VITAMIN C 5mg; CALCIUM 294mg; IRON 5.5mg; FOLATE 65ug; MAGNESIUM 71mg; ZINC 2mg; SELENIUM 13.5ug
  • tdh1991
    Options
    White Wine and Onion Gravy
    www.DrFuhrman com

Serves:
    Preparation Time:

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup water (broth)
    2 medium onions, thinly sliced
    3 cloves garlic, pressed
    2 tablespoons raw tahini (pureed sesame seeds)
    10 ounces dry white wine
    28 ounces vegetable stock
    2 bay leaves
    (maybe add a splash of braggs liquid aminos)

Instructions:
    Bring water to a boil in a large pan, add the onions, turn heat down to low, stir and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until soft. Remove the lid, stir and simmer for 7 more minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes until caramelized. Stir in the tahini and cook stirring for 1 minute. Add the wine, whisking constantly. Boil rapidly for 2 minutes, add the stock and bay leaves and boil for a further 10 minutes until reduced to a gravy consist
  • tdh1991
    Options
    Green Beans Almondine
    www.DrFuhrman.com

Serves: 4
    Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
    1 pound green beans, washed with tips removed
    1 teaspoon almond oil
    1/4 cup almond meal
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon slivered almonds

Instructions:
    Steam green beans until crisp tender. Meanwhile, toast slivered almonds for two minutes in a 200 degree oven or on the lightest setting in a toaster oven. When green beans are done toss with almond oil, almond meal, and garlic powder. Sprinkle with toasted almonds.

Here's How:

Place 1/2 cup blanched or unblanched almonds in a clean electric coffee bean grinder.
    Put the lid on the coffee bean grinder and pulse several times until a medium-fine textured meal forms. Don't over-grind or you will make almond butter!
    Put ground almond meal in a clean flour sifter. Sift almond meal. Place any large particles of almonds back in coffee bean grinder and pulse again. Sift reremaining almond meal.
    That's it. Use any nut to make fresh, delicious nut meals using this simple technique.

Tips:

Do not over-grind the almonds or you will end up with almond butter!
  • tdh1991
    Options
    Cauliflower, Spinach Mashed "Potatoes"
    www.DrFuhrman.com

Serves: 4
    Preparation Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
    6 cups fresh or frozen cauliflower florets
    4 cloves garlic, sliced
    10 ounces fresh spinach
    1/2 cup raw cashew butter
    soy, almond or hemp milk, if needed to thin
    2 tablespoons Dr. Fuhrman's VegiZest or other no-salt seasoning blend, adjusted to taste
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Instructions:
    Steam cauliflower and garlic about 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and press out as much water as possible in strainer.

Place spinach in steamer, steam until just wilted and set aside.

Process cauliflower, garlic, and cashew butter in a food processor until creamy and smooth. If necessary, add soy milk to adjust consistency
    Add VegiZest and nutmeg. Mix in wilted spinach.
    Per Serving:
    CALORIES 164; PROTEIN 9g; CARBOHYDRATES 18g; TOTAL FAT 8.5g; SATURATED FAT 1.7g; SODIUM 124mg; FIBER 5.7g; BETA-CAROTENE 4599ug; VITAMIN C 93mg; CALCIUM 116mg; IRON 3.8mg; FOLATE 234ug; MAGNESIUM 121mg; ZINC 1.7mg; SELENIUM 3.9ug
  • tdh1991
    Options
    Chef James' Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili
    Chef James Rohrbacher

Serves: 8
    Preparation Time:

Ingredients:
    2 onions,chopped
    2 carrots, chopped
    2 celery stalks, chopped
    8 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 tablespoons white wine
    3 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons pure ancho chili powder
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
    4 cups low sodium or no-salt-added vegetable broth
    1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes or 1 (14.5 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
    1/3 cup tomato paste
    2 tablespoons Dr. Fuhrman's MatoZest or other no salt seasoning, adjusted to taste blend
    1/2 cup nutritional yeast
    4 1/2 cups cooked black beans or 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, no salt added or low sodium, rinsed and drained
    1 cup frozen corn, thawed
    1 bunch kale, tough stems removed, finely chopped
    tabasco, to taste (optional)

Instructions:
    In a covered soup pot, steam/saute the onions, carrots, celery and garlic in the white wine for 10-12 minutes, adding a splash of water if needed to prevent burning. Add the chili powders and cumin and saute for an additional minute. Add the squash, broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, MatoZest and nutritional yeast, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes until squash is tender, adding the beans and corn about halfway through cooking time.

Meanwhile, steam/saute the kale in a small amount of white wine in a separate covered pan until very tender, about 15 minutes.

Taste the chili for spicing and adjust as necessary with chili powder, nutritional yeast or tabasco. Stir in the kale.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Terri, thanks for adding all the great Thanksgiving recipes. Here's another one from me. I sort of made this up... inspired by something I read online but then went in my own direction.

White Bean Pita Pizza

Servings 4

4 whole wheat pitas or flatbread
    1 cup tomato sauce
    1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
    1 large red or yellow pepper, roasted then sliced
    ¼ cup sliced olives
    ½ medium red onion, sliced
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast

Spritz olive oil in skillet. Add garlic and sauté a minute then add cannellini beans and mash with a potato masher or fork. Add water as needed to prevent sticking and to make a thick paste. Add tomato sauce and Italian seasoning and stir over low heat a few minutes until you have a smooth and thick sauce. Spread on pitas, top with peppers, olives and onion, sprinkle with nutritional yeast, bake at 400 until toasty. Could easily leave out the olive oil if you want it to be more strictly ETL. Roasting the pepper could be optional, I just like the deeper flavor when they are roasted.

I don’t necessarily think the MFP calculations of nutritional values are 100% accurate because I’m often using user created items, but here is what I came up with per serving: Calories 236, Fat 2, Sodium 719 mg, Carb 46 (10 fiber, 4 sugars), Protein 11.

It occurred to me that if I added more tomato sauce this would make a really good, high-protein sauce for whole wheat pasta or to pour over steamed veggies.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Squash Soup
    • Copied from the November Thread.
    :D

Gif added for posterity.

1361469896_jack_nicholson_deal_with_it.gif
    Mihani, the squash soup is really easy (and so delicious!!) This quantity makes about 10 servings.

Fill a big roasting pan FULL of
    - carrots (4+ cups),
    - yellow onions (2 medium), and
    - celery (2 celery hearts)
    Drizzle with a little olive oil (just a bit) and some pepper.

Then, cut 2 acorn squash in half, remove the seeds, then brush them with a bit of oil and add pepper to those as well.

Put the squash on a cookie sheet and put that and the roasting pan in the oven at 375ºF for about 70 minutes.

Then, scoop the squash out of the skin and put all the veggies in a big pot on the stove. Add 6 cups of veggie broth.

Use a submersible blender to make a smooth soup, then add:
    - 1.5 tbsp cumin,
    - 1 tbsp coriander and
    - a little more pepper (to taste).

This is one of my favourite soups of all time. I just love it! (And it always tastes better on the 2nd day - which is today!! Mmmmmm...)

Enjoy!

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Here is a quick and easy slaw. I use a food processor.
    (If you keep the dressing separate it stores well for a couple of days)

shredded green cabbage
    shredded red cabbage
    spring onion
    ginger root grated
    grated carrots
    goji berries ( recipe called for sultanas)

For the dressing

miso paste
    rice wine vinegar ( could use Apple cider vinegar)
    chili flakes ( recipe calls for sweet chilli sauce)
    toasted peanuts ( I used toasted pumpkin seeds)

taste as you go adjust to suit yourself!
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Made these wonderful lettuce wraps today for lunch to use some leftover lentils. Wow! I was truly shocked how good these were! I mixed the lentils with corn and curry and cumin. Mixed some hot chili garlic sauce with mayo (essentially making siracha mayo) and spread that on the romaine lettuce leaves. Topped with tomato and green onion....Modify to suite your tastes!

ff8fj6m3h59d.jpg

2xafa79ew88j.jpg
  • coueswhitetail
    Options
    fyi, the lettuce wrap recipe is a modification of one I saw on the blog "Oh She Glows"....you can find the original recipe on her site, but I didn't really follow her recipe just her idea of lentils on lettuce wraps
  • Mihani
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I made this for dinner tonight because I had extra roasted squash that wasn't used in the soup the other day... ohsheglows.com/2011/10/24/black-bean-and-butternut-squash-burritos/

I had some serious doubts about this recipe, but it was really good. I liked it quite a lot.

ETA: I also added some kale with the peppers and cooked until wilted before adding the other stuff. It was a good addition.
  • coueswhitetail
    Options
    Good idea on the squash....I have some left over that I wasn't sure what I was gonna do with it!
  • Mihani
    Options
    I love Panera vegetarian black bean soup, and finally thought hey, I bet there's a copycat recipe online. I have made this probably 6 times over the past few months. I love it! Freezes well too.

Copycat Panera Bread Black Bean Soup

· 1 medium Onion
    · 2 Cloves of Garlic (I use 3 to 4)
    · 2 Celery Stalks
    · 1/4 Red Bell Pepper
    · 1 Tbsp cooking oil (I use 1 tsp)
    · 1 1/2 Cups veggie broth (may need a little more if it is too thick when done)
    · 2 Cans Black Beans (15 oz)
    · 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
    · 1/2 tsp Salt
    · Lemon Juice (approx. 1/2 a lemon)

Chop the onions, celery and bell pepper and mince the garlic. Add the oil to a large pot over a medium high heat and then add the vegetables. Saute until your onions are translucent. Add the broth and raise the heat to high. Add your black beans along with the salt and ground cumin and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a slow rolling boil and let cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Using a potato masher, work the beans until you’ve reached the desired consistency, but leave a good number of whole beans. Add the lemon juice and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    OMG this is so good! Cumin and Lime Roasted Sweet Potatoes from Vegetarian Times. Easy and delicious and perfect for a winter dish. I didn't peel my sweet potatoes, though. Never do.

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/cumin-and-lime-roasted-sweet-potatoes/
  • coueswhitetail
    Options
    lisabinco wrote: »
    OMG this is so good! Cumin and Lime Roasted Sweet Potatoes from Vegetarian Times. Easy and delicious and perfect for a winter dish. I didn't peel my sweet potatoes, though. Never do.

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/cumin-and-lime-roasted-sweet-potatoes/

sounds great, I love all the ingredients, so will definitely try this...thanks!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Vegan Hollandaise Sauce (4 servings)

Not strictly ETL but I cut the oil from the original recipe and think I could even cut it in half again without sacrificing flavor. I think I'd also cut the salt in half. I served up with some steamed asparagus and it was delicious.

12.3 oz silken firm tofu
    4 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp cayenne
    1/4 tsp turmeric
    2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or other neutral flavor oil)

Put the tofu on a plate and heat in the microwave for 30 to 40 seconds just to warm. Throw it in a food processor and process a bit then add the other ingredients except the oil. Process until smooth. With processor still running drizzle in the oil and finish.
  • Mihani
    Options
    10 Spice Vegetable Soup (Oh She Glows)

ohsheglows.com/2014/10/02/10-spice-vegetable-soup-freezer-friendly-vegan-gluten-free/

This was delicious. The cashew cream made it really creamy and rich. I made it as written with a diced sweet potato and chickpeas but I only used a tsp of oil. The recipe says 6 servings, I have had 4 bowls of it since last night and there is over half of it still left so they would be huge servings.
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I made this one last night. Next time I'd use less lime juice (maybe 1.5 Tbsp or 2 Tbsp) and find some smaller yams! I was stuffed! As author on site says, you can bake the yams ahead of time and throw this together during the week. Perfect with a salad on the side.

http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/southwestern-stuffed-sweet-potatoes/

Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
    serving size not mentioned on site, but we did 1/2 yam per person

1 avocado
    ½ c cilantro leaves and stems, roughly chopped and packed (or don't chop...it is going in blender!)
    3 Tbsp lime juice (~2 limes) (yikes on the amount for me....1.5 to 2 tbsp next time around)
    1 large garlic clove
    ½ tsp cumin
    ⅓ c cold water
    ¼ tsp salt, plus more to taste
    ground black pepper, to taste
    2 medium sweet potatoes
    1½ tsp cumin
    ¼ to 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
    ½ tsp salt (omit or reduce if your beans or corn are salted)
    1 c cooked black beans (I just threw in a can of low sodium beans)
    1 c cooked corn kernels/frozen corn
    ½ c grape tomatoes, thinly sliced
    optional: chipotle pepper in adobo sauce for heat

Pierce sweet potatoes all over with a fork and bake at 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes (depending on size), or until soft.
    While potatoes are baking, prepare the guacamole sauce. Blend together avocado, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, cumin, and water in a blender or food processor until smooth. Refrigerate until using.
    When potatoes are done, slice each potato in half lengthwise. (Use oven mitts to keep from burning your hands!)
    Using a spoon, scoop out most of the sweet potato flesh from each half into a small bowl, leaving just enough flesh intact with the skin for the potato half to keep its shape.
    Mash removed sweet potato with spices. Stir in black beans, corn, and tomatoes.
    Scoop mixture back into potato halves and top with avocado sauce.

Since I had the Tahini Caramelized Onions on hand (http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/tahini-caramelized-onion-sauce/), I threw some of those on top, too.
  • tdh1991
    Options
    I really like this recipe a lot. Sometimes I add dried cranberries and walnuts.

Chickpea Tuno Salad
    James Rohrbacher

Serves: 5

Ingredients:
    3 cups cooked chickpeas or 2 (15 ounce) cans no-salt-added or low sodium chickpeas, drained
    1 cup raw almonds
    2 tablespoons lemon juice, or more to taste
    1 teaspoon kelp granules
    1 (12.3 ounce) package firm lite silken tofu
    3 tablespoons white wine or champagne vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
    3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    2 medium celery stalks, diced
    4 green onions, minced
    1/3 cup red bell pepper,minced
    3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
    freshly ground black pepper
    Instructions:
    In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas and almonds until coarsely chopped. Add the lemon juice and kelp powder and pulse a few more times. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.

Place the tofu, vinegar, dry mustard, nutritional yeast and mustard in a high-powered blender and blend until very smooth. Add to the mixing bowl with the chickpea mixture, along with the celery, green onions, red pepper, peas and black pepper. Mix thoroughly.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors mingle before serving.

Per Serving:
    CALORIES 350; PROTEIN 19g; CARBOHYDRATES 34g; TOTAL FAT 16.9g; SATURATED FAT 1.5g; SODIUM 93mg; FIBER 10.8g; BETA-CAROTENE 450ug; VITAMIN C 19mg; CALCIUM 138mg; IRON 4.4mg; FOLATE 179ug; MAGNESIUM 135mg; ZINC 3.1mg; SELENIUM 5.5ug