Out of the saddle on rollers

Options
2»

Replies

• Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    (I meant "the difference is not as large as I was expecting" when comparing resistance/effort levels from rollers to trainer.)
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Here is a nice link...it matches pretty closely with what I see on my PM.

http://www.kreitler.com/wattage-information/

And, yes, I have no problem standing. In fact it is a needed skill for a "butt break" while doing longer sessions.

Keep working on the standing, you will get it down sooner or later.

If you are turning a 53 X 11 at 80+ RPM's on 2.25" rollers and not getting a workout...you should have a pro contract. That is close to 500W and if you can crank that out for 15-20 mins you are right up there with the best.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Nice chart - and it explains a lot. I'll keep trying the standing effort. I'm going to keep the roller frame through a door frame next time just for loss of control insurance. Might hit some roller work today as I have been using my new trainer all week.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    If you are turning a 53 X 11 at 80+ RPM's on 2.25" rollers and not getting a workout...you should have a pro contract. That is close to 500W and if you can crank that out for 15-20 mins you are right up there with the best.

Same gearing 53x11 at 80 rpm or around 30.3 mph, is 850 watts on a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine (fluid resistance) and MUCH higher on mag and wind. You must have super handling to stay on a roller while putting out that kind of wattage. Not saying it's impossible but takes a lot of practice. Average rider going 20 mph is 126 watts on rollers based on the chart you provided vs 250 watts on KK road machine (nearly same as road conditions on flats and no wind). Don't know where your critical power is at but mine is pretty low and 126 is just hitting my L2 (endurance) while 250 is around L5 (VO2Max). One thing I don't have to worry about is falling off the bike as I find my concentration and handling is not so great after 30 or so minutes on the road at near or above my FTP let alone at CP output. On my trainer, I can hit all power zones for whatever duration I can stomach again and again without falling off :). Good luck duplicating that on a roller.
    Archon2 wrote: »
    Nice chart - and it explains a lot. I'll keep trying the standing effort. I'm going to keep the roller frame through a door frame next time just for loss of control insurance. Might hit some roller work today as I have been using my new trainer all week.

Was referring to addition of a front wheel mount on rollers and need to change the comment to: "front wheel frames" for rollers = trainer with no little resistance. Might want to see the following if you find me biased.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/108989-comparison-bike-rollers-vs.-trainers/
    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2009/04/rollers-vs-trainer/

Or better yet, do a FTP test on a roller. Your handling and balance will be up there with the best.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    Same gearing 53x11 at 80 rpm or around 30.3 mph, is 850 watts on a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine (fluid resistance) and MUCH higher on mag and wind. You must have super handling to stay on a roller while putting out that kind of wattage. Not saying it's impossible but takes a lot of practice. Average rider going 20 mph is 126 watts on rollers based on the chart you provided vs 250 watts on KK road machine (nearly same as road conditions on flats and no wind). Don't know where your critical power is at but mine is pretty low and 126 is just hitting my L2 (endurance) while 250 is around L5 (VO2Max). One thing I don't have to worry about is falling off the bike as I find my concentration and handling is not so great after 30 or so minutes on the road at near or above my FTP let alone at CP output. On my trainer, I can hit all power zones for whatever duration I can stomach again and again without falling off :). Good luck duplicating that on a roller.

Speaking personally, the KK numbers here a little bit high. Looking at a ride from Saturday, I spent 10 minutes at about 230 watts (coming from my Power2Max power meter) and I was averaging right around 21 mph. There are some variables here related to tire pressure and trainer tension though.

I agree with the statements about doing the work on a trainer. I always do FTP tests on my Road Machine, plus any hard interval efforts just because it's safer and I can't find a road long enough to spend 20 minutes at tempo or above without having to stop for something. That said, I am currently eyeballing the new Kurt Kinetic rollers for use during my recovery effort spins.

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    @kcjchang - I wouldn't worry about Mats abilities to handle the bike, you are aware he's on the U.S. National track racing team ?

Also, wrt to the power figures he quotes, I've no doubt that they are proper ones from a real power meter, not the approximations that turbo trainers make...