1/2 marathon this week, recently knocked out of ketosis, WTD?

Options
walkdmc
walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
I've used keto to lose over 90 pounds, love the diet. Last night I ate off plan and obviously kicked myself out of ketosis as of today. I am running a 1/2 marathon Saturday. Do I just start keto again or wait until after the run?

BTW, I don't think I've been 100% keto for more than a week, in months. I have a good week, a cheat night, rinse and repeat. So, I don't think my body is a finely tuned keto-burning machine and I'm pretty sure it's confused about what to use as fuel. I've done my runs while in ketosis as well as not and both produce similar results (slow and tired). Also, never ran longer than 10 miles.

TIA!

Replies

• DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Tia, I have been following keto for almost 2 months and was doing the same thing...great low carbs during the week, but on the weekends I was kicking myself out...until last weekend!!

During this time, I had to cut back on all exercise, so while I do not have any advice I want to congratulate you on your running and wish you luck and strength for your 1/2 on Saturday!!
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    walkdmc wrote: »
    I've used keto to lose over 90 pounds, love the diet. Last night I ate off plan and obviously kicked myself out of ketosis as of today. I am running a 1/2 marathon Saturday. Do I just start keto again or wait until after the run?

BTW, I don't think I've been 100% keto for more than a week, in months. I have a good week, a cheat night, rinse and repeat. So, I don't think my body is a finely tuned keto-burning machine and I'm pretty sure it's confused about what to use as fuel. I've done my runs while in ketosis as well as not and both produce similar results (slow and tired). Also, never ran longer than 10 miles.

TIA!
    WALK;

Never saw your post until today and it's your BIG day so can't be much help.

Probably wouldn't have mattered anyway since you seem to have a good handle on what's going on and why.

As you know, NK isn't an "on/off" switch but rather a continuum and while you are likely right that your "cheat" put you "out" (below 0.5mml), you are still getting "some" of the benefits.

I agree too, that your body is "confused" (which is why "carb reloading" never made any sense to me).

Becoming re-adapted "usually" takes 2-3 days so if you started back on Wed (faithfully) it's entirely possible you got back by race day but a blood test is the only way to know for sure.

If I could ask a favor, I, and I'm sure a number of others will be VERY interested to learn what you find out on race day (today).

This group isn't very active (reason no one replied earlier and many didn't see your post) so, if you would start a new thread over on the Low Carbers Daily group it would be greatly appreciated.
    Here's the link:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

and GOOD LUCK - hope you have a GREAT RUN!!!