Keto Diet

Options
It said to join if we were interested in this diet. What exactly is this diet??

Replies

• djhnd
    djhnd Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a question for people in this group. "Keto" is short for ketoacidosis. The body has to neutralize acid to function properly. A lifetime of acidosis is definitely not healthy. Most people who induce ketoacidosis through diet do it for short time periods (months, a year) not for life. Do you all have a strategy to counteract the acidosis? Especially long term.

As a for instance, one way your body will neutralize is by pulling calcium out of bones, which would eventually weaken your bones. That's just one example though it's one of the more often cited ones.

Not saying you can't do it - but if you'd like some ideas on how to do this in a healthy way, hit me up.
  • vgravedo
    Options
    The keto diet, which I actually started a week ago....and I love it, is a low carb diet with high fat and moderate protein. Keto refers to ketogenic or getting your body into Ketosis where it uses fat as a source of energy rather than carbs. You are allowed a minimum amount of carbs because some parts of your body have to have carbs to function properly. My minimum I aim for every day is 35g. If you would like to find out what a good amount of carbs, fat, and protein is for you there is an awesome link that will help you calculate it. keto-calculator.ankerl.com That's what I used, and I like this site because you can adjust your precentages of it in your goals.
  • CatonGirl
    CatonGirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! Still new to myfitnesspal and am hoping the group/s can help me stick to my diet. I started out following Atkins, had recently heard about Keto, and I think I'd like to learn more and then decide which trail I really want to follow! As far as your question djhnd, I'll admit to not quit understanding the whole ketoacidosis thing myself!! Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I was told ketosis is using fat as fuel which results in ketones being released into your urine. Ketoacidosis however is far worse and can even be life threatening however it is generally a result of uncontrolled diabetes. Can anyone tell me if I have that right?
  • vgravedo
    Options
    CatonGirl wrote: »
    Hi! Still new to myfitnesspal and am hoping the group/s can help me stick to my diet. I started out following Atkins, had recently heard about Keto, and I think I'd like to learn more and then decide which trail I really want to follow! As far as your question djhnd, I'll admit to not quit understanding the whole ketoacidosis thing myself!! Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I was told ketosis is using fat as fuel which results in ketones being released into your urine. Ketoacidosis however is far worse and can even be life threatening however it is generally a result of uncontrolled diabetes. Can anyone tell me if I have that right?

That sounds pretty correct.
  • CatonGirl
    CatonGirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying! I would like to add you as a friend because I only have 2 and need like minded helppppp! I haven't been able to get on a computer and cant get to the groups through the app, so....I am looking forward to a few days of community support. Vgravedo, glad to see you aren't trying to stick to the "20 grams" Atkins suggests in the beginning. I tried and it's too hard. I mean, I can just eat nuts, seeds, and healthy carbs but 20 I cant do. do you know the peak carb count you can eat before you are out of ketosis?? Trying to figure that out. As it is I have been having "almost" cramps until last night!! Had a major calf cramp and got up (when I could!!) and took some salt with a magnesium tablet. Have you run into this at all????
  • allisonscoulson
    Options
    Yes, the person who said Keto is short for Ketoacidosis is wrong. Keto is short for Ketogenic--producing ketones for fuel. Ketoacidosis is a dangerous condition that can only occur in Type 1 diabetics. Not at all the same thing. There are many people who follow a Ketogenic diet for years on end. There is nothing dangerous about it. See Maria Emmerich, Craig from Ruled.Me, Stephanie Person (YouTube) and many more. A Ketogenic diet is also used to treat epilepsy and other diseases such as cancer and Alzheimers.

Yes I sometimes get the leg cramps at night. I make sure to take potassium supplements and have some home made chicken broth occasionally. That seems to help.
  • sil1fitness
    sil1fitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I a new, is this diet the same as the guy that lost a lot of weight eating fat and butter? I have a few other questions, what are the side effects, doesn't eating meat and fat clog? Can we juice greens for the fiber? I What about the headaches, how do we alleviate them? Some have 35g of carbs, but how much grams of fat are we to eat? Do we weigh everything we eat, like butter and oil?
  • Sandoo4
    Sandoo4 Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Nutritional Ketogenic state of your body through Ketogenic diet is not Ketoacidosis (dangerous condition for diabetics with high blood sugar and no insulin with high levels of Ketones). Recheck your research and relearn the difference. It's important.... and definitely don't pass on the wrong information to newbies.
  • BryantSarah
    BryantSarah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm new and little confused. How do I start this plan?