Leg Strength

Options
bama6977
bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
What do you do to increase leg strength? What about swim fins and if so which ones do you use and how do you use them? I'm currently using "Force Fins" and try to swim at least 5x50 yards at the end of my workout with them.

Replies

• Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't do kicking sets & avoid fins because it's one of the few things that causes me problems with my hips (I had them both replaced 15 years ago), so I do a lot of walking for leg strength. Just make sure if you're doing hard work with the fins at the end of your workout you do a good cooldown so the muscles can recover properly.....
  • logan_t
    logan_t Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do build 100's without fins and build 50's with fins to train a bit more kick endurance and core strength.

I also do kettlebell training (Simple & Sinister) so I get a good amount of goblet squats and double arm swings. Both have helped me build a more explosive push off the wall.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Right now, I was in poor enough shape that I can tell a difference in walking around town just from the past three months swimming.

However, when I need to start putting on leg strength, as I will, it's going to be squats. First bodyweight, then dumbbells. If I need to get stronger than that, up to the bar I will go!

I don't think there's much better than squats for lower body strength!