Training Tips?

Options
RoseTears143
RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
I'd like to invite everyone to post tips or ideas for training here. What are you doing to get your strength and agility up for these crazy obstacles we will be facing?

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm making a start on the Tough Mudder Boot Camp - free from the the TM website. Going through the basics with a trainer until exams are over and then will be doing them at least three times a week

Also trying to hunt down some monkey bars at a park near me and have a chin up bar. The chin up bar is hard but someone pointed out how to start using a chair to help.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    I'm making a start on the Tough Mudder Boot Camp - free from the the TM website. Going through the basics with a trainer until exams are over and then will be doing them at least three times a week

Also trying to hunt down some monkey bars at a park near me and have a chin up bar. The chin up bar is hard but someone pointed out how to start using a chair to help.

Great plan! I also need to work on my upper body strength more. I have a chi up bar at home that hangs in a doorway I need to start making use of.
  • Lessthanpenguins
    Lessthanpenguins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Right now I am focusing more on my upper body strength than my cardio. I have talked to friends who have done multiple of these and they all tell me that the challenges are harder than the running is. I have till October so come July, cardio will go into full swing for me.
  • Lessthanpenguins
    Lessthanpenguins Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I use the playground at a local elementry school for the monkey bars. I have to hold my legs up so my feet don't the ground but hey, I get an extra ab and leg workout from that on top of everything.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Right now I am focusing more on my upper body strength than my cardio. I have talked to friends who have done multiple of these and they all tell me that the challenges are harder than the running is. I have till October so come July, cardio will go into full swing for me.

Good point, I've read the same thing from people that have completed these - that strength training is more important. I'll be working on both at the same time, cross training. But I love the playground idea!
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    I'm starting NROLFW hopefully tomorrow, plus hunting down some monkey bars near me as well. I'm also trail running a lot. The more muck and mud I can run through, the better. The more hills. The better. I've started Hal Higdon's Half-Marathon training schedule this week too.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    I'm starting NROLFW hopefully tomorrow, plus hunting down some monkey bars near me as well. I'm also trail running a lot. The more muck and mud I can run through, the better. The more hills. The better. I've started Hal Higdon's Half-Marathon training schedule this week too.

Not familiar with that training schedule but I'm gonna go look at it. Sounds like you have your plan figured out so that's great!
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    Grip strength seems to be a key on some of the obstacles so I'm thinking about adding in a little bit of grip work at night before bed using one of those grip/squeeze ball contraptions.