Tracking net carbs....

Options
is there a setting I'm missing? I'm new here and not the most tech savvy but if there is no way to track the net carbs, would everybody mind asking for that here? If you have a minute..... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/13

Replies

• DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    There is a plug in, so please search net carb and plug in. It hasn't worked for me...so I just keep my carbs and fiber counts in my settings and manually calculate.

Welcome to the group!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Here is the link for the net carbs macro script from reddit r/keto:

https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript

Install the script and set your macro goals to match it, and it will do the math for you. Or just subtract fiber from total carbs to get your net carbs.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yes I need to know this too....and I'm not understanding how to install this script ^
  • esaucier17
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've done some research and it seems better not to track NET carbs?
    Does anyone know...?
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    esaucier17 wrote: »
    Does anyone know...?
    ESA;

"net" vs "total" carbs is an ongoing debate and there are legitimate reasons why each "side" believes as they do.

Atkinites believe (I think) that one should use "total", at least when attempting to become adapted (i.e. <20 TOTAL/day),

Some say that since some carbs are absorbed slowly (or not at all in the case of many fibers), they can be deducted (not counted), which is why "net" carbs = total - fiber.

Others believe that slowly absorbed or not, one's metabolism still must deal with them and they eventually have to traverse the entire system and therefore have an effect - supporting the "total carbs" argument.

Personally, since there is such a wide range of carb "targets" and "limits" (how many for how long to actually reach Keto Adaptation or remain in NK?) for different individuals, I'm of the belief that it really doesn't matter WHICH one you use - as long as you are consistent AND, when discussing your numbers (on this group for example), you are CLEAR as to which it is.

What matters is that you establish and determine that YOU can maintain at 35 (for example) TOTAL/day (which might EQUAL 25 NET) does it really matter which scale you use?

Conversely, if you are not able to measure >0.5mmol of blood ketone levels after maintaining <20 NET kcals/day for 3-4 weeks, you are going to want to reduce carbs.
    The "reduced" number might be 15 "NET" or 20 "TOTAL" and it could be the same thing - each would be a reduction.
  • camtosh
    Options
    Yes I need to know this too....and I'm not understanding how to install this script ^

Hi -- I know, that site isn't the most user-friendly :)

First, go to MFP My Home, click Settings and set your macros to include the following columns: Fat, Protein, Carbs, Fiber.
    Here is a pic of mine:
    rli8f880nict.jpg

Then install the Tampermonkey or Greasemonkey, depending on whether you use Chrome or Firefox browser. It won't work on Internet Explorer.

Then click the link provided to get the script to work.
    It should give you a Net Carbs column on your food diary in MFP.
  • esaucier17
    Options
    Does anyone know...?
    ESA;

"net" vs "total" carbs is an ongoing debate and there are legitimate reasons why each "side" believes as they do.

Atkinites believe (I think) that one should use "total", at least when attempting to become adapted (i.e. <20 TOTAL/day),

Some say that since some carbs are absorbed slowly (or not at all in the case of many fibers), they can be deducted (not counted), which is why "net" carbs = total - fiber.

Others believe that slowly absorbed or not, one's metabolism still must deal with them and they eventually have to traverse the entire system and therefore have an effect - supporting the "total carbs" argument.

Personally, since there is such a wide range of carb "targets" and "limits" (how many for how long to actually reach Keto Adaptation or remain in NK?) for different individuals, I'm of the belief that it really doesn't matter WHICH one you use - as long as you are consistent AND, when discussing your numbers (on this group for example), you are CLEAR as to which it is.

What matters is that you establish and determine that YOU can maintain at 35 (for example) TOTAL/day (which might EQUAL 25 NET) does it really matter which scale you use?

Conversely, if you are not able to measure >0.5mmol of blood ketone levels after maintaining <20 NET kcals/day for 3-4 weeks, you are going to want to reduce carbs.
    The "reduced" number might be 15 "NET" or 20 "TOTAL" and it could be the same thing - each would be a reduction.

Thank you so much for the info!
  • esaucier17
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »

Hi -- I know, that site isn't the most user-friendly :)

First, go to MFP My Home, click Settings and set your macros to include the following columns: Fat, Protein, Carbs, Fiber.
    Here is a pic of mine:
    rli8f880nict.jpg

Then install the Tampermonkey or Greasemonkey, depending on whether you use Chrome or Firefox browser. It won't work on Internet Explorer.

Then click the link provided to get the script to work.
    It should give you a Net Carbs column on your food diary in MFP.

Hmmm....well I don't use either. I use IE so I guess it won't work unless I switch.
    Thank you for the 'step by step' :smile:
    Have a great weekend!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Installed Tampermonkey for chrome. Already had carb, protein, fiber and sugar as trackers. Can't see any "change". Does it matter that I'm in Europe?
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    Installed Tampermonkey for chrome. Already had carb, protein, fiber and sugar as trackers. Can't see any "change". Does it matter that I'm in Europe?
    Foam;

I don't "think" so (not sure and can't check since I'm not) but I do think I've seen a number of folks from various places in EU that are using it.

You said you installed TM - did you also download and run the script?

It requires both be done successfully.

• camtosh
    Options
    Foam:
    No, I live in Japan and it works for me. You have to click on that link to get it started. Also, try putting the macros in the same order as my pic shows: Carb, Fiber, Fat, Protein and one more of your choice.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    ty! Mission accomplished in browser on pc. Anybody got it to work on an android tablet? I looove note 8.0 with the pen.
    Great script btw.