How long did it take for your insurance to approve

Options
madmags
madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
My approval is supposed to be simple. I have done all the preop requirements, my surgeon has submitted all the info to the insurance for improval, including the surgery date of 11/21. It has been over a week and still not answer. Just curious what everyone else went through.

Replies

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    This does not surprise me the least bit!
    I was done with ALL my requirements June 11 and w/in a few days insurance had approved me (I know this because I had called them about something else).
    I was really hoping for a summer surgery...1st because I hate cold weather and hate the snow even more so I wanted a running start w/ having it done while it was still nice.
    2nd, I really dreaded having the surgery at or close to the holidays as I didn't want to be the party pooper...lol!
    I finally got my surgery on the 16th which will put me at about 6 weeks post-op which will allow me to somewhat enjoy Thanksgiving but I really wish theyd done it sooner rather than later for several reasons :neutral_face:
    BTW...hang in there!
  • pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Mine took about a week. Call them and ask, that will at least speed things along.

Good Luck!
    -Phill
  • glyndalin
    glyndalin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Mine took about a week and a half. My patient advocate at the surgeon says they have up to a month to respond.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Mine took two weeks after I finished all of the 6 month requirements. The committee meets twice a month. Then, it was just an issue getting on the surgery schedule --- which was running about a month back logged.
  • foxymitchell
    foxymitchell Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Mine took right at 4 weeks.
  • madmags
    Options
    Still no answer back. It has been a week and a half. My insurance requires the surgeons office to give them the surgery date, which is 11/21. Hopefully I get an answer before Thursday, I would like to have at least one week of a definitive date to get everything in order. Thank you for the replies.
  • madmags
    Options
    I got my approval today, so it took my 1 1/2 weeks for approval.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Once I did the endoscopy, it took like, a week or two. I had no idea. The whole time I was like, well I can quit any time thinking I wouldn't really go through with it, even though I went through all the hoops! I got a call from the hospital letting me know, then a letter from BCBS a week or so later. Funny thing was that I had to schedule out a bit. Got the approval in March, but wanted to wait until after my anniversary on 4/30 to have the surgery. I wanted that one last steak dinner. LOL!
  • bivanusro
    bivanusro Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am curious , how does your insurance works ? I'm from Romania , and here we have national health insurance , that is great for some things like no cost for emergency care be it accidents or disease and fairly good coverage for chronic diseases like diabetes and such while for major problems and especially major surgery (heart, brain, liver etc.) it covers between zippo and nada :#
  • madmags
    Options
    Our insurances all depend on your plan. Since they are mostly privately paid it varies greatly. I only have to cover a copay for the surgery, $500 I think and a small percentage of other things. But max of $2500 for me or $5000 max for my family
  • bivanusro
    bivanusro Posts: 23 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    We also have some private health insurance companies , however they are very expensive to get directly on personal basis. Most of them deal with companies that pay some level of insurance for their personnel. I hope to cover some of my expenses this way , God bless my employer , they have something like that :)