It's time to discuss Thanksgiving.

lulalacroix
lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
I don't know about the rest of you, but Thanksgiving dinner is my #1 favorite meal of the year. So I want to know how everyone will handle this meal in a few weeks. Will you completely cheat? Are you gonna replace the carby foods with other foods? If so, please share your ideas and/or recipes.

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited November 2014
    Turkey, ham, bacon, sausage, and more turkey. That's pretty much what I'll do.

I don't plan on cheating. I didn't last year. I don't really think of cheating as an option. When it becomes an option, it's too easy to find excuses. Besides, this isn't a diet for me. I'm not eating like this to lose weight [anymore]. I am eating like this because I love it and feel great. Why would I ruin that?

Edit: This isn't to say I absolutely won't have anything "off plan" during that time. I'm actually getting married a few days before Thanksgiving. We'll do a lot of celebrating. If something really appeals to me, I'll probably have some of it. I don't know what it would be though. I actually get a little turned off by the thought of most breads and sweets these days.
  • lulalacroix
    frob23 wrote: »

I don't plan on cheating. I didn't last year. I don't really think of cheating as an option. When it becomes an option, it's too easy to find excuses. Besides, this isn't a diet for me. I'm not eating like this to lose weight [anymore]. I am eating like this because I love it and feel great. Why would I ruin that?

Edit: This isn't to say I absolutely won't have anything "off plan" during that time. I'm actually getting married a few days before Thanksgiving. We'll do a lot of celebrating. If something really appeals to me, I'll probably have some of it. I don't know what it would be though. I actually get a little turned off by the thought of most breads and sweets these days.

Congats on the wedding!!!

Yeah, I don't plan to cheat either. I've already been there and it took 3 weeks to correct after a cheat meal. But I've always loved the sidedishes - stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes with gravy. So I've got to come up with acceptable substitutes. This is my first lchf Thanksgiving.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member

Yeah, I don't plan to cheat either. I've already been there and it took 3 weeks to correct after a cheat meal. But I've always loved the sidedishes - stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes with gravy. So I've got to come up with acceptable substitutes. This is my first lchf Thanksgiving.
    LULA;

Ditto on the "congrats" FRob!

"Stuffing" has always been my (our) "downfall" as well - fill the bird and at least a couple extra baking dishes so there's plenty left for leftovers.

It's always been sausage stuffing so that's not changing but the breadcrumbs obviously have to go.

We've fallen in love with almond flour pizza crust (close as we can get to the "real thing" and every bit as good, taste wise.
    So, plan is to bake up a bunch (as a loaf) and sub it for the crumbs.
    Might do a "test" run first, might not (pretty confident it will be fine) - we'll see <G>.

Gravy has always been homemade from the drippings and broth from gizzards and vegs, heavy cream instead of milk and should be fine.

Vegs instead of the potatoes isn't all that much of a sacrifice so, other than staying anywhere near a cal limit the macros shouldn't be an issue.

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited November 2014
    Thanks. I am getting excited about it.

Sausage stuffing (no bread crumbs) is one thing I do make. I won't be home this year, honeymoon, so I'll probably not have access to that. But, I'll be fine with the other meats.

I also go a little weird with leftovers: A couple slices of bacon with egg salad, sandwiched between two slices of turkey breast for "bread." That is something that got me looks last year. LOL
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    I don't know about the rest of you, but Thanksgiving dinner is my #1 favorite meal of the year. So I want to know how everyone will handle this meal in a few weeks. Will you completely cheat? Are you gonna replace the carby foods with other foods? If so, please share your ideas and/or recipes.

I'm planning on cheating. I don't enjoy pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie much so I'll be passing on those, but I am going to have gravy with my turkey and will have whatever dressing/stuffing is made.

My rule is that its a one day thing, back to keto on Friday, and that I'm just doing it to enjoy the same traditional Thanksgiving meal that everyone else is. So that means no "OMG FREE CHEAT DAY LETS SEE IF I CAN EAT THE WHOLE PAN OF DRESSING YESS" or making a special dessert and eating an entire cake or whatever because I'm 'allowing myself' to.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,764 Member
    I have Thanksgiving with my husband's 95yo grandparents and the rest of his family. Dark meat turkey, ham, cheese platter, broccoli/cauliflower and ranch dip. My kids are begging me to make my homemade stuffing, which I won't eat and I think I will make a keto green bean/mushroom casserole to bring as my potluck dish.
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Turkey Day will just be me and hubby. Might make a little turkey for us or we'll go out. But it will pretty much be just turkey, some bacon/sausage if I can find it and salad. Maybe a bite of his stuffing. Cheating big isn't worth what it does to me.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    I'll be staying on plan. We'll make special keto gravy for me to smother everything in. Everything else I don't care as much about. They'll be turkey and green beans. Drowning in gravy.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    I'm aiming to stay on plan, but sometimes...so going to keep to the meat and cheese with veggies for the snacks and main dishes. For dessert, I am thinking to make both some 'regular' desserts and then some LCHF friendly ones...any recommendations on what to try for the LCHF treats?
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Congrats, frob! Enjoy your big day and honeymoon.

I will be on vacation, so no traditional Thanksgiving dinner this year. Christmas will be a planned "splurge", though.
  • lulalacroix
    baconslave wrote: »
    I'll be staying on plan. We'll make special keto gravy for me to smother everything in. Everything else I don't care as much about. They'll be turkey and green beans. Drowning in gravy.

Tell me about your keto gravy please. I make mine with a roux, which is of course flour. What do you use as a thickener?
  • lulalacroix

"Stuffing" has always been my (our) "downfall" as well - fill the bird and at least a couple extra baking dishes so there's plenty left for leftovers.

It's always been sausage stuffing so that's not changing but the breadcrumbs obviously have to go.

We've fallen in love with almond flour pizza crust (close as we can get to the "real thing" and every bit as good, taste wise.
    Might do a "test" run first, might not (pretty confident it will be fine) - we'll see <G>.

I'm gonna make some bread with almond flour, but there's tons of recipes out there so I'm not sure where to start. But this is my plan, to make stuffing from the almond bread.
  • lulalacroix
    DAM5412 wrote: »
    I'm aiming to stay on plan, but sometimes...so going to keep to the meat and cheese with veggies for the snacks and main dishes. For dessert, I am thinking to make both some 'regular' desserts and then some LCHF friendly ones...any recommendations on what to try for the LCHF treats?

For dessert I'm considering either an adapted pumpkin pie or pumpkin cheesecake. Either with a almond flour crust. I don't have recipes so hope I can either find one or adapt one myself successfully.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member

I'm gonna make some bread with almond flour, but there's tons of recipes out there so I'm not sure where to start. But this is my plan, to make stuffing from the almond bread.
    Lula;

Here's what we use for the pizza dough:
    2.00 oz (28g), Mozzarella Shredded
    0.75 cup(s), Almond Flour
    1.50 oz(s), Cream Cheese, Philadelphia Original, Brick
    1.00 egg, Large Egg W/ Yolk
    1.00 tbsp(s), Italian Seasoning
    0.50 tbsp, Spices - Pepper, black

Nuke the Mozzarella (3-5 mins depending on the micro) - until it's all melted but not browned.

Add everything else (cream cheese first while it's hot), mix and knead to a ball.

For pizza I just form the crust using fingers, bake on first side until browned, flip over and add toppings, finish baking,
    For "chips", roll it out thin on pizza stone,
    For bread double (or triple) the recipe depending on size of bread pan.

We've done the pizza and chips (awesome, wouldn't change a thing), bread will be a first.

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    It will be my first Keto Thanksgiving. Going to my daughter's in Chicago. She is cooking duck. That should be good and fat. I'll have trouble staying away from the cranberry sauce though. I'll try to stay good though.
  • baconslave

Tell me about your keto gravy please. I make mine with a roux, which is of course flour. What do you use as a thickener?

This will be my first keto thanksgiving, but I'm thinking turkey juices from the pan, giblets, heavy cream, and I'm going to get some xanthan gum. I've read through a few recipes and you basically add it by the quarter tsp until you have your desired thickness.
  • baconslave
    DittoDan wrote: »
    It will be my first Keto Thanksgiving. Going to my daughter's in Chicago. She is cooking duck. That should be good and fat. I'll have trouble staying away from the cranberry sauce though. I'll try to stay good though.

I feel you. That's the one thing that has "made" the meal for me in the past.
  • lulalacroix

Lula;

Here's what we use for the pizza dough:
    2.00 oz (28g), Mozzarella Shredded
    0.75 cup(s), Almond Flour
    1.50 oz(s), Cream Cheese, Philadelphia Original, Brick
    1.00 egg, Large Egg W/ Yolk
    1.00 tbsp(s), Italian Seasoning
    0.50 tbsp, Spices - Pepper, black

Nuke the Mozzarella (3-5 mins depending on the micro) - until it's all melted but not browned.

Add everything else (cream cheese first while it's hot), mix and knead to a ball.

For pizza I just form the crust using fingers, bake on first side until browned, flip over and add toppings, finish baking,
    For "chips", roll it out thin on pizza stone,
    For bread double (or triple) the recipe depending on size of bread pan.

We've done the pizza and chips (awesome, wouldn't change a thing), bread will be a first.

Thank you. I'll have to try it.
  • lulalacroix

This will be my first keto thanksgiving, but I'm thinking turkey juices from the pan, giblets, heavy cream, and I'm going to get some xanthan gum. I've read through a few recipes and you basically add it by the quarter tsp until you have your desired thickness.

I've never used xanthan gum. I don't imagine it's available at the grocery store?
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    I plan to eat the turkey, veggies but skip all the starch. I plan on having one small slice of cheesecake. We're having pumpkin pie and cheesecake, but I like cheesecake better. I'll just jog or do a DVD afterwards. I can burn it off.