Mayo- how much do you eat in a day?

msnucerity
msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
Hi everyone,

just wondering how much mayo (homemade or bought) people eat in a day or in a week?

It seems like I'm eating a lot of homemade mayo (bacon fat mayo!) but it fits my macros, doesn't have any junk in the recipe and makes things taste better :) (cue Queen's, "Don't Stop Me Now")

Thanks!

Replies

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Sometimes I eat 2-3 tbsp per day. Really depends if I'm having tuna, chicken, or egg salad that day.
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Maybe once or twice a week and no more than 3 tablespoons a day. Mainly for tuna salads when I am lazy.
    I want to limit vegetable oils as much as possible.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Wow- bacon fat mayo. That sounds great. I have it at least once a day. I make it with mostly olive oil with a little MCT oil mixed in. Yummy. I've banned the store-bought stuff from my house.
  • mherbert0
    mherbert0 Posts: 18 Member
    msnucerity wrote: »
    (bacon fat mayo!)

How exactly do you make that?
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    would you guys be so kind to share your fav mayo recipes with me ?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    Bacon fat mayo! I bet that's all awesome!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,754 Member
    For me it depends. I might go a whole week without eating any, then the next week eat it 4 days of 7, without about 1tbsp per day of Duke's. I am too lazy to make my own and Duke's has no added sugar; I must have spent 10 minutes reading mayo bottle labels to find it.
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    very cool thank you nicsflyingcircus will get some to try
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    In a glass jar (an empty almond butter jar is perfect) crack one egg. Add a pinch of salt, a tsp or two of lemon juice or white vinegar, a spoonful (depending on how much you like) of mustard and one cup of light tasting olive oil (not EVOO). With an immersion blender, place the end in the jar, all the way to the bottom. Turn it on and hold it there for 20 seconds. You'll see it become mayo right before your eyes. Once it's mostly blended, move the stick blender up and down to get the rest of the oil incorporated. Done. So easy. You can add herbs, garlic, chipotle, whatever you want.
  • baconslave
    For me it depends. I might go a whole week without eating any, then the next week eat it 4 days of 7, without about 1tbsp per day of Duke's. I am too lazy to make my own and Duke's has no added sugar; I must have spent 10 minutes reading mayo bottle labels to find it.

Duke's...... drooling. Hubs insists we buy the store brand... but I'm a total mayo snob. I'm seriously going to ask for a case of Duke's for Christmas.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    dldoddy wrote: »
    In a glass jar (an empty almond butter jar is perfect) crack one egg. Add a pinch of salt, a tsp or two of lemon juice or white vinegar, a spoonful (depending on how much you like) of mustard and one cup of light tasting olive oil (not EVOO). With an immersion blender, place the end in the jar, all the way to the bottom. Turn it on and hold it there for 20 seconds. You'll see it become mayo right before your eyes. Once it's mostly blended, move the stick blender up and down to get the rest of the oil incorporated. Done. So easy. You can add herbs, garlic, chipotle, whatever you want.

I use this method, it's the easiest and quickest way I've found, and much less likely to fail! I usually do about a tablespoon or 1.5 tablespoon of a good, flavorful dijon mustard (prepared, not powdered, you probably don't need that much for powdered mustard). The oil doesn't have to be olive oil, either. I've done with some olive oil and some avocado oil, and it's a great flavor.

I don't know if you can make bacon mayo this way, or if the amount of oil would be too much and too warm for the egg. Might be worth a try sometime if you have some extra bacon fat. I'd venture to guess that it needs warmed just enough to be liquid.
    mherbert0 wrote: »
    (bacon fat mayo!)

Generally speaking, take your favorite mayo recipe/method and use bacon fat instead of the fat it calls for. Mayo is actually not all that picky when it comes to the oils you use. It seems it's most finicky about the method you use to create the emulsion.

I don't recommend full or more than half coconut oil, though, unless it's getting set out for a potluck or something. The coconut oil will still harden in the fridge...
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    dldoddy wrote: »

I use this method, it's the easiest and quickest way I've found, and much less likely to fail! I usually do about a tablespoon or 1.5 tablespoon of a good, flavorful dijon mustard (prepared, not powdered, you probably don't need that much for powdered mustard). The oil doesn't have to be olive oil, either. I've done with some olive oil and some avocado oil, and it's a great flavor.

I don't know if you can make bacon mayo this way, or if the amount of oil would be too much and too warm for the egg. Might be worth a try sometime if you have some extra bacon fat. I'd venture to guess that it needs warmed just enough to be liquid.
    mherbert0 wrote: »
    (bacon fat mayo!)

Generally speaking, take your favorite mayo recipe/method and use bacon fat instead of the fat it calls for. Mayo is actually not all that picky when it comes to the oils you use. It seems it's most finicky about the method you use to create the emulsion.

I don't recommend full or more than half coconut oil, though, unless it's getting set out for a potluck or something. The coconut oil will still harden in the fridge...
    DW;

Good points on both the bacon and coco fats - those will take some experimenting (which I'll leave to others <g>).

But, for my next jar I WILL try just adding (cooked) bacon "crumbles" (I love simple/easy).

• nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    Duke's...... drooling. Hubs insists we buy the store brand... but I'm a total mayo snob. I'm seriously going to ask for a case of Duke's for Christmas.

^^ LOL ^^ Love it.
  • baconslave
    nill4me wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »

^^ LOL ^^ Love it.

Who wouldn't love mayo for Christmas? ;) Thank you, Santa!
  • I rarely eat mayo but the bacon mayo recipe just might sucker me into a mayo lover.