Next swimming distance goal: 10km

Options
fishgutzy
fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
I have decided that my next goal is to swim 10km within an 8 hour period. Two 5km swims in the same day. Assuming a Saturday at the Y, first 5km at 6:00AM. Home for 3 eggs with sausage and cheese for breakfast. A short rest then back to the Y at 11:00AM and finish by 1:00 or 1:30PM.
Usual time for 110 laps (25 yrd pool) is about 1:50 including the 15 second water sips every 12 laps.
I figure since I have done up to 165 laps in one day, pushing to 220 shouldn't be too difficult.

10km is the equivalent of the Olympic marathon swim without open water.
Time frame for this challenge is by August 1.
After that is achieved, the next goal would be 10km without a break for anything but an urgent trip the the restroom.

Replies

• writer_chick
    writer_chick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That's amazing! I've only just started swimming, but I love it already. :D Having a pool here at the house has been on my to-do list forever because it's the only way I can get myself motivated enough to exercise. Your goal sounds strenuous but doable! Good luck!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    I couldn't afford to build a pool at home. I'd have to make it 25 meters so I don't spend so much time pushing off. :bigsmile:
    I'd love to trey swimming in a 50M pool some time.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I typically do 1.9 km a day. I would really love to boost that up. I am dealing with an arm injury, so I guess at this point, slow is best. I am excited to be able to see you reach this goal -- be sure to update when you have finished your day of Swim-O-Mania!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    I typically do 1.9 km a day. I would really love to boost that up. I am dealing with an arm injury, so I guess at this point, slow is best. I am excited to be able to see you reach this goal -- be sure to update when you have finished your day of Swim-O-Mania!

I have degenerative osteoarthritis in my left shoulder. I used mid length fins earlier on to distribute the work more evenly as I started to lose weight and build upper body strength and endurance. It is only in the last couple weeks that I was able to do 5km with no fins. Did 5.5km last night without fins.
    Maybe this approach will help you as well. Building the endurance while also rehabbing the arm.
    Enjoy the journey.
    One thing I have found, now that I swim 55+ miles a month, is that swim suits don't last long when you swim that much. Have to buy a new one every 6 to 8 months. My jammers get saggy beyond what just weight loss can account for. Speedo seems the most durable so far. TYR is the worst for me. The TYR only last two months.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Did a 7km swim today. 154 laps, single swim. No fins.
    Did 144 laps on Friday.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO!!!!!!!
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Wow! 220 in one day is rather impressive.

I've thought about trying some really long distance swims again. I did 106 laps (3 miles) last year, it was nearly 3 hours. I suspect I could do it short of two hours now.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Wow! 220 in one day is rather impressive.

I've thought about trying some really long distance swims again. I did 106 laps (3 miles) last year, it was nearly 3 hours. I suspect I could do it short of two hours now.

My 7 km swim on Sunday took about 2:30.
    I'm figuring it will take about 4 hours to do the full 10k. Maybe less.
    During the 7km I was able to maintain a 1 minute lap pace.
    Just 66 more laps to make the 10km :)
    Current rough plan is to add 11 laps (0.5km) per week . Though I did do a 5, 5.5km and 6km in a single week already.