new, need advice.

Options
angelb1983
angelb1983 Posts: 160 Member
This is the weight watchers list for "simple start"plan. Is this a good place to start? I, actually think the only thing I would change is maybe instead of fat free products, eating the full fat version and counting the calories. I looked on pinterest for ideas, but all of this seems to be so overwhelming. I wish there was a place I could find information that would dumb it down a bit, and get some recipes that actually taste good.

Replies

• angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers Power Foods Plus
    fruits
    All fresh, frozen, or canned
    without added sugar
    Fruit canned in its own juice (drained)
    Fruit salad—mixed fruits with no added sugar
    vegetables
    Most fresh, frozen, or canned
    without added sugar or oil—whether or not it has a PointsPlus value per serving
    Potatoes—white, red, sweet
    fat-free dairy &
    dairy substitutes
    Fat-free cheeses, including fat-free cottage cheese
    Fat-free milk and beverages made with fat-free milk— such as cappuccino or latte, as long as it’s sugar-free
    Fat-free yogurt, plain or flavored with artificial sweetener
    Fat-free sour cream
    Unflavored fat-free soy cheese
    Unflavored soy milk and soy yogurt
    seasonings
    & condiments
    Baking powder
    Baking soda
    Capers
    Cocktail sauce
    Extracts
    Fat-free margarine
    Fat-free mayonnaise
    Fat-free salad dressings
    Flavorings
    Garlic
    Herbs
    Hot sauce (pepper sauce)
    Ketchup
    Lemon juice
    Lime juice
    Mustard
    Nonstick cooking or baking spray
    Salsa (fat-free) Shallots
    Soy sauce (shoyu) Spices
    Steak sauce
    Sugar substitutes Taco sauce
    Teriyaki sauce Vinegar Worcestershire sauce
    healthy oils
    olive canola safflower sunflower flaxseed
    Note: Include 2 tsp per day, total.
    lean proteins
    Beans, dried and canned, including cannellini, kidney, refried, and white
    Beef, chicken, lamb, pork, turkey, veal: lean, trimmed, all skin removed
    Dried peas, including black-eyed peas and split peas
    Eggs: whole, whites, and egg substitute
    Game meats, including buffalo, ostrich, and venison
    Lentils
    Meat substitutes, including tofu and vegetarian burgers with2gfatorless
    Most fish and shellfish:
    fresh, frozen, and canned in water
    Organ meats from beef, lamb, pork, and veal
    whole grains
    Brown and wild rices
    Hot cereals, cooked—without added sugar, dried fruits, or nuts: 100% bran, cream of rice, cream of wheat, grits, oatmeal
    Pasta, whole-wheat or other whole-grain varieties
    Popcorn, as long as it’s plain air-popped, plain or light microwave-popped, or 94% fat-free microwave-popped
    Whole-grain, ready-to-eat cereals—without added sugar, dried fruits, or nuts, and with 4 g fiber or more per serving
    Whole grains, such as barley, buckwheat, bulgur, cornmeal (polenta), whole-wheat couscous, or quinoa
    plus more
    Included breads:
    (Whole grains make the best choices)
    Light English muffins
    Light hot dog and hamburger rolls
    Reduced-calorie (light) breads or rolls, and thin sandwich bread
    Included soups:
    Broth, onion, and some broth- and tomato-based vegetable soups
    Included desserts:
    Sugar-free gelatin
    What doesn’t
    count:
    Dried fruits, juices (neither fruit nor vegetable), fruits or vegetables prepared with ingredients that are not Weight Watchers Power Foods, avocados, French fries, olives, plantains, pickled vegetables, canned fish or shellfish packed in oil,
    meats or fish with breading or added fat, processed meats (such as hot dogs).
    it’s built from Power Foods
    simple start
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Is that a good place to start for eating "clean" you mean? There's a lot of heavily processed foods in that list. Am I misunderstanding?
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Usually fat-free means that it's either full of chemicals or sugar. Margarine is definitely not a clean food... it's hardly food - it's one molecule away from being plastic! Stick to whole foods: vegetables, fruits, proteins in their natural state. Shop the supermarket perimeters more that aisles.

Read labels and avoid foods with ingredients that you can't pronounce or foods with a long list of ingredients.

Oils - canola, "vegetable," corn oils are all GMOs - avoid them, they are definitely not a "healthy" oil! Stick with olive oil, butter, coconut oil, ghee, avocado oil. I also stay away from soy products - the reason being is that soy promotes estrogen production in our bodies and results in too much estrogen which leads to other health problems.

It's not as complicated as you may think, just think whole, natural foods and avoid sugars and grains.
  • mellyo77
    mellyo77 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, watch the amount of processed foods. Foods labeled as fat free or sugar free have chemicals to replace the fat and sugar. Eat foods as close to their natural state with little human intervention (until you prep them of course)