Bathroom Runs?

Options
sickandfat
sickandfat Posts: 69 Member
Hi Everyone, well I have a question? I started adding more fats into my diet and starting to lose a little more weight which is great but for the past 2 days I have been having the dreaded bathroom runs?

I do have IBS and was wondering if I am adding too many fats to fast.

I do not want to stop with the fats because I think I am doing better. Not hungry anymore, started to lose a little more weight. Can anyone tell me what to do? I am drinking my water but do not want to get dehydrated. Has anyone else had this problem when trying to adapt from a LF diet to a LCHF diet. Thank you.

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Some people need to ramp their fats up slowly. Also, which fats are you adding and how much? Coconut oil tends to have a bigger reputation for doing this than certain others.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have this problem when starting. There's a common saying of "never trust a keto fart" for this very reason. If you're not constantly living in the bathroom, and you're staying hydrated, don't stress too much about it. Your body is adapting. The phase will pass.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    This should pass, and may turn to awful constipation, as it does for many LCHF folks. Also, I think you said you were coming off of a bunch of sugar alcohols and products containing artificial sweeteners, which can also cause gastro upset in people that don't have IBS. That fact probably made it worse.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    sickandfat wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, well I have a question? I started adding more fats into my diet and starting to lose a little more weight which is great but for the past 2 days I have been having the dreaded bathroom runs?

I do have IBS and was wondering if I am adding too many fats to fast.

I do not want to stop with the fats because I think I am doing better. Not hungry anymore, started to lose a little more weight. Can anyone tell me what to do? I am drinking my water but do not want to get dehydrated. Has anyone else had this problem when trying to adapt from a LF diet to a LCHF diet. Thank you.
    S&F;

Totally agree with ALL of the comments, suggestions, and advice given by those above - with one SLIGHT difference of opinion.

While the hydration issue IS an important one (and arguably even MORE important with LCHF/NK due to metabolic changes resulting in higher sodium and H2O expulsion rates), I believe that many folks "may" take the "conventional wisdom" guidelines for water intake to extremes.

There is mounting evidence that "more" (beyond actual requirements) is NOT, necessarily, "better" and may in fact actually be dangerous (especially in endurance athletes).

I am NOT saying it's true in all cases, even most cases, or specifically in your case and it's entirely likely that in your case the reasons are much more in line with those offered by the others above.

I am saying though, that "most" of us do not require 55 gal drums/day and what "goes in" simply has to "go out" (for the most part).

Absolutely ensure that you are getting what you need but 2X what you need is only going to produce one result.

How many kids walked around with $20, "signature", water bottles surgically attached to their hips when you were in school?

• middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This happens to me on a regular basis. I have found (for me) that adding lettuce and spinach to everything helps. The good thing is that by increasing leafy greens I also increase fat intake from olive oil and coconut oil. So it all works out. Most likely in a few days you will have the opposite problem (no stools for 48 hours).
    The IBS is a concern though and if you feel it is very uncomfortable you may have to ask a professional or even get medicine. Keto may be harder on it than the regular diet.
  • sickandfat
    Options
    Thank all of you for giving me good sound advice. I am going to start being careful as to what fats I am adding and to rethink my water intake also. I also take Metformin and that very well could cause me problems in this area along with the IBS. I do not know if all people have a problem with Metformin and fat but in me it will trigger bathroom runs.

My body is still adjusting to LCHF. I just have to take it slower and to remember that I cannot fly free yet.

I so want to get there like all of you but I am learning that it will take me a little longer. (My mind says GO GO and my body says NO NO) Ha! Ha! I know that one day I will make it.

I feel some better today but I had a stressful day yesterday. My husband has Parkinson and he had doctors appointments and we were on the go most of the day. I ended up eating a little to much over my goal. I did eat well as far as my carbs go but ended up with too many calories and fat.

Today I will get back on track. After our long day I did get to go to my weight lose center for a support group meeting and it went good. Found some good ideas for making it through Thanksgiving. I got some handouts but have not had time to read them yet. When I do and if there are any good tips I will pass them on to all of you.

All of you have been so good to all of us New LCHF'ers. We would be lost without your know how, been there, advice and help. I enjoy this group so much. Thank all of you again!
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    sickandfat wrote: »
    Thank all of you for giving me good sound advice. I am going to start being careful as to what fats I am adding and to rethink my water intake also. I also take Metformin and that very well could cause me problems in this area along with the IBS. I do not know if all people have a problem with Metformin and fat but in me it will trigger bathroom runs.

My body is still adjusting to LCHF. I just have to take it slower and to remember that I cannot fly free yet.

I so want to get there like all of you but I am learning that it will take me a little longer. (My mind says GO GO and my body says NO NO) Ha! Ha! I know that one day I will make it.

I feel some better today but I had a stressful day yesterday. My husband has Parkinson and he had doctors appointments and we were on the go most of the day. I ended up eating a little to much over my goal. I did eat well as far as my carbs go but ended up with too many calories and fat.

Today I will get back on track. After our long day I did get to go to my weight lose center for a support group meeting and it went good. Found some good ideas for making it through Thanksgiving. I got some handouts but have not had time to read them yet. When I do and if there are any good tips I will pass them on to all of you.

All of you have been so good to all of us New LCHF'ers. We would be lost without your know how, been there, advice and help. I enjoy this group so much. Thank all of you again!
    S&F;

Can't help on the Met + Fat issue (no personal experience) but keep in mind that there "might" come a day you no longer need it which will "solve" that problem. Look at it as the "light" at the end of the tunnel.

What I do know though is that "stress" (in all of its forms) absolutely DOES have negative effects (and not just on any given days intake).

One can't simply "eliminate it" - life goes on and as in your case, there are stressors we have no choice but to deal with, face, and they are going to have an impact.

Best one can do is recognize that they exist and try to find what works for you to minimize the effect. Go to your corner and read a book for a few minutes, do yoga, or contemplate your navel - whatever works.

And YES, it's not a "race" - more like the tortoise and the hare.
  • sickandfat
    Options
    You are so right deansdad, stress is one of my big issues but cannot be helped. I try very hard to keep it in check but am having a hard time with it. I do try to make time for myself but my world is getting smaller and smaller. I am my dear husbands only caregiver 23 hours a day. I have a caregiver that comes 2 hours a day to help him with his bath 5 days a week. That does help me out a lot.

Our children are grown and all of them live anywhere from 2 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours away.

I am a strong willed person and I do good most of the time. My heart doctor tells me that stress kills. When I am stressed out you are so right, my blood sugar stays higher and my IBS goes to town.

I know that I am not the only one out there that has problems, everyone does, stress can live in all of us in different ways.

Please forgive me for telling you my problems but you are so very smart to notice that stress is a major factor.

One day I hope to get off a lot of my meds. Thanks to you, I now know that is reachable in time. I will not give up trying.

I am so lucky to have you for a friend. You keep me going in the right direction towards my goal. That means so much to me and I am sure other people feel the same way. You are a good person. You try to help everyone and I listen. Thank you for being there for us all.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I will say that I noticed the opposite. I hate to go into TMI, but my stools before cleaning up carbs would be loose, foul, and unpredictable (well when I knew then what I knew) and this summer when I was really successful at lowering the carbs, and increasing the lean protiens and higher good fats. the bathroom habits were great, no hard BM's or super loose ones.... just right.