Whole family going Low Carb- need some help please

Options
KA___
KA___ Posts: 71 Member
Some background- I've been LCHF all year and after plenty of reading I've decided its a much healthier WOE. My two sons 12 & 9 quite often eat as I do and occasionally my husband. After a long talk with my husband we have decided that the whole family will eat LCHF for a trial of three months. Not sure how I should go about the transition which will be the easiest on my sons and husband(he resistant to change) I was thinking about just changing one thing a week. Any ideas and suggestions? Any recommendations of recipe books or websites or blogs would be appreciated.
Has anyone else have experiences of the same thing?

Replies

• deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    KA___ wrote: »
    Some background- I've been LCHF all year and after plenty of reading I've decided its a much healthier WOE. My two sons 12 & 9 quite often eat as I do and occasionally my husband. After a long talk with my husband we have decided that the whole family will eat LCHF for a trial of three months. Not sure how I should go about the transition which will be the easiest on my sons and husband(he resistant to change) I was thinking about just changing one thing a week. Any ideas and suggestions? Any recommendations of recipe books or websites or blogs would be appreciated.
    KA;

When I was a kid (and knew it all) I learned pretty early on that if I wanted to go out and play baseball instead of doing my homework, there was a better than 50/50 chance the answer would be "NO" - if I asked first.

If I didn't (ask) and just did it there was a 100% chance I'd get yelled at, probably "grounded", BUT I DID get to play that day.

Maybe not the best analogy (or best reasoning on my part) but might be applicable none the less.

Don't "ask" - just start making small changes in the meals you already know they "like" to make them more LCHF "friendly".

You already know the drill from your own experience (70/30 beef instead of 95/5, "real" eggs, cheese, etc) and gradually "run out" of sugars, grains, and starches.

"Sneak in" spaghetti squash "noodles" with a LC "alfredo sauce" one night.....baby steps.

You'll get "caught" sometimes and other times rewarded with "gee Mom, this is pretty good!"

• KA___
    KA___ Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Deansdad- great analogy. So obvious but didn't think of that option! But very doable. Thanks :)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    KA___ wrote: »

Don't "ask" - just start making small changes in the meals you already know they "like" to make them more LCHF "friendly".

You already know the drill from your own experience (70/30 beef instead of 95/5, "real" eggs, cheese, etc) and gradually "run out" of sugars, grains, and starches.

"Sneak in" spaghetti squash "noodles" with a LC "alfredo sauce" one night.....baby steps.

This is how i did it with my family. My daughter is VERY picky so i tried new things that didnt have anything she didnt like, mushrooms, etc. We just ran out of stuff and i didnt buy new. Hubby has a wheat issue we just found out about the same time we found out i was IR and needed to go LC/HF so we moved to almond flour and coconut flour as we ran out of wheat. Or often mixed the two in transition. WE got higher fat beef, dark meat chicken, and who can say no to eggs and bacon or full fat sausage every morning?

There are a ton of LC/HF good recipes out there. Found one to make pancakes out of cream cheese so it satisfies daughter's pancake cravings while still being LC/HF. Made a sausage soup tonight she LOVES yet it has celery and turnips she think she doesnt like.

I also make a 'mac and cheese' recipe with Kielbasa with spaghetti squash she found out she prefers over Kraft. It can be done, Kids are resiliant and will often find they like the new diet because of the full fat dairy and meats. If they want 'carb' things like pancakes or muffins, there are lots of LC 'flours' out there that can stand in.