Motivation - Visualize Your Journey

Options
BRaye325
BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
My health had deteriorated to the point that I was the heaviest I'd ever been (325 lbs), on multiple prescriptions for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diuretics, and acid reflux.
At the start of my journey on MFP, I created a visualization for the journey ahead and wrote it on my profile to remind me.

From my profile:

Motivation
It has to begin with your commitment to reach a destination at some point in the future - Decide, who do you want to be?
- I created a visualization to help me stay on track. At the beginning of my journey, I pictured myself laying on my basement floor, fat, unhealthy, and badly wanting out of that basement. My goal is to crawl my way out, climb the stairs up to the second floor, run up the attic stairs, out the window to sit with my two grandsons on the roof to gaze at the stars - a healthy slim medication-free new version of myself.
- Now as I am progressing it helps me tremendously. The 100 times a day I need to remind myself why I am making the tougher decision, I picture both that end goal looking at the stars with my boys and exactly where I am on my journey. So far I have climbed the basement steps and I'm standing on the 8th step halfway up to the second floor. Still a long way to go, but I've come so far.
- When I do stall on a step and even take a step or two backwards, I remind myself that I started on the basement floor and I'm a long way from there. I brush myself off, decide again - who do I want to be? and move forward.
- You can do it too! - Decide

I am writing this thread on my weigh-in day, 18 weeks from the beginning of my journey. Today I hit the halfway point of my goal, I've lost 60lbs!
My success so far is certainly not unique on MFP, it's great to surround yourself with others on a similar journey to learn from and motivate each other. I hope this might be helpful to some of you.
I am always open to sharing what I've learned. If anyone has questions about what I'm doing just ask.

Replies

• heart2health
    heart2health Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weigh in today. Sixty lbs. Your updated picture doesn't even look like the man you started out as 18 weeks go. Amazing. Keep up the great work and you'll be gazing at the stars in no time.
  • CatonGirl
    CatonGirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options

wow!! Congratulations!! you really look great!
  • bibliocephalus
    bibliocephalus Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You are such an inspiration, congratulations on your hard work paying off!
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    60 pounds is great! how have you been losing it?
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I'm honoured that u have shared this with us, I found it very moving. What a great goal to gaze at the stars with your boys. 60lb loss is Fantastic!!! I applaud u
  • rbrankamp
    rbrankamp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That is a very inspirational story. Congratulations on your loss and continued success!
  • lcm55
    lcm55 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    60 pounds in 18 weeks, that is awesome!!! You should be very proud of yourself and those stairs are getting less steep every day. You have a great goal in mind and very inspirational. Keep up the good work.
  • bm1409
    Options
    You look awesome! congratulations!
  • BRaye325
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. Your responses really help me stay committed.
  • BRaye325
    Options
    bm1409 wrote: »
    60 pounds is great! how have you been losing it?

MFP has been life-changing for me. The simplicity of counting all of my calories easily everyday is the biggest reason I am having this much success. I have tried many diets with varying success over the years, but this is different, it's not a diet. Teaching an 'old dog, new tricks' - I feel like I'm learning for the first time how to manage my fitness and the new sense of control continues to give me more motivation.
    I have a written game-plan and I'll be happy to share it or answer any other specific questions.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    I'm very interested in your game plan. What involved?
  • bm1409
    Options
    would love to hear your game plan.
  • BRaye325
    Options
    Here are my guidelines:
    1) "Visualize the journey" - see above. It gives me ongoing perspective and really helps put me quickly back on track when I falter.
    2) "Liar Liar" - be honest with myself. Many of my past attempts have failed because I cheated on myself. Log everything that goes in my mouth - everyday.
    3) "Me" - this for me. Give myself permission to be selfish when it comes to my health and fitness. I am always the guy that does anything for everyone else. I deserve this.
    4) "Old dog, new tricks" - never stop learning and sharing my knowledge. Use MFP's community daily to find help and make sure to give back at least as much as others give me.
    5) "Keep it simple" - don't complicate the process by doing unnecessary tasks. They will drive me crazy and make me fail. Example, I've learned that I am very good at estimating portion sizes, so I just spot check with the scale and measuring cups. As long as I keep hitting goals, that's the big picture.
    6) "Small steps with patience" - Pick a best place to start and then see where I am after a month. Make adjustments one at time and then give it 2-4 weeks. It's "my plan".
    7) "Don't panic" - the scale is just an instrument, it's not the enemy, it doesn't have anything against me. If it's not showing what I expect, give it more time and then re-evaluate what I'm doing and adjust if needed. It took me many years to get where I am, it isn't going to change overnight.
    8) "Commitment" - step on the scale every morning to remind myself of my commitment to make each day a positive step forward - log my weigh-in on MFP once a week to get the big picture.
    9) "Roll with it" - I can't predict what challenges are ahead, just do the best I can when then arise. Pre-plan and log ahead of time whenever I know I will be in a difficult environment, like going to a restaurant, get-together, or during a holiday.
    10) "LIVE" - I'm in control, do not deprive myself of the things I enjoy. Most things I want to eat can be managed with pre-planning and portion control. A few will just need to wait until I'm at my goal and on maintenance.

We are all coming from different places, with different needs and likes. I had at least 120lbs to lose and a handful of medical issues I'm dealing with. Don't let anyone tell you what should be right for you.
    My guidelines are working for me, they may not be right for everyone. Feel free to take these and modify them so they work for you.
  • heart2health
    heart2health Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this with the group.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Hi BRaye325, I will implement these suggestions. Thanks for sharing
  • bibliocephalus
    bibliocephalus Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Really good stuff here, thanks BRaye. I tend to be pretty obsessive in terms of my diet. Due to being so rigid, I have never been able to maintain a fitness plan longer than a month or so, I have always been too extreme in my goals and expectations. This time is different for me, as I have my own versions of 5,7 and 10 that I use-- it has made a big difference this time around.
  • BRaye325
    Options
    Really good stuff here, thanks BRaye. I tend to be pretty obsessive in terms of my diet. Due to being so rigid, I have never been able to maintain a fitness plan longer than a month or so, I have always been too extreme in my goals and expectations. This time is different for me, as I have my own versions of 5,7 and 10 that I use-- it has made a big difference this time around.

I can be very obsessive too and drove my family, especially my wife, crazy when on past diets. This time is different for me too. It really is helpful that my wife, daughter and son are all on MFP. Interestingly, we each have a different approach in certain areas, but it is working for all of us. In the 4.5 months since we started we have combined to lose over 180lbs, that's like losing a whole person - crazy.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Wow that's amazing!! Congrats to u & your family
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Very impressive and inspiring; thank you for sharing.
  • BRaye325
    Options
    This is based off the visualization that is the start of this thread.
    Here is some more of my plan:

Stages of my journey

Stage 1 - Emerge from the basement

Crawl up 15 steps to reach the first floor

13 steps earned by losing 3 pounds each + 1 extra pound = 40 pounds lost

2 steps earned by eliminating 2 prescriptions

* Completed in 11 weeks

Stage 2 - Walk up to the second floor

Walk up 15 steps to reach the second floor

13 steps earned by losing 3 pounds each + 1 extra pound = 40 pounds lost/80 pounds total

2 steps earned by eliminating 2 prescriptions

* Currently on the ninth step - down 24 more pounds/64 total and 1 more prescription gone

Stage 3 - Run up the attic stairs

Run up the final 15 steps to reach the window to the roof

13 steps earned by losing 3 pounds each + 1 extra pound = 40 pounds lost/120 pounds total

1 step earned by eliminating last prescription

1 last step earned because of all I've given back to my MFP friends to encourage each of them along their journey.

* No deadline to get there, just keep making progress. Eye on the prize, but just keep taking it on one step at a time.

Stage 4 - Out onto the roof

Step out that window, proud of my accomplishments!

Continue to earn the right each day to stay out there by exercising all of the lessons I've learned to stay fit and healthy.

Allow myself +/- 5 pound weight range from my decided final goal weight. Gain more than that and it's back into the attic to earn it over again.