Calories burned in an average Karate session?

Options
NostalgicGraeme
NostalgicGraeme Posts: 38 Member
Has anyone more experienced at Calorie counting worked out how many calories burned in an average Karate session? (Say 1.5 hours)

Replies

• kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Why go with an average? Your calorie burn will vary depending on the type of session you do. I wear a HRM during my TKD classes - the calorie burn given by MFP were about a third more than my actual calorie burn.
  • NostalgicGraeme
    Options
    I guess I just need a figure to add on here for when I do a class. I don't own a HRM although that's a good idea. I'll add 300 calories burned for now and see how it measures compared to other activities when I see the weight loss from other days with different activities.

Big congratulations on 46lb lost! Inspiring! Good luck with your goals!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    What I do (for Aikido, not Karate) is just enter the 'judo, jujitsu, karate' item found in the database, for 1/4 to 1/2 the time I actually trained depending on perceived level of exertion. My weight loss is usually very close to what MFP tells me it should be, so I must not be too far off.
  • NostalgicGraeme
    Options
    Thanks!
  • kendrafallon
    Options
    I found it's worth investing in a HRM, you can a good on relatively cheaply on eBay..

And thanks for the compliment, it's appreciated.
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i do tkd and i looked and found some numbers some where on the internet and then added it to mfp and thats what i go buy. and the number has changed since i have lost weight. but all numbers on mfp are averages. since they can not incorporate every persons body make up and how intense the work out actually is and so on and so on.

this isnt the link i used..but it has some data on it.
    http://calories-burned.findthedata.org/q/452/30/How-many-calories-do-you-burn-Judo-karate-kick-boxing-tae-kwan-do
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ask your instructor before going out and getting a hrm. I'm not allowed to wear anything on my wrists in classes.
    But to answer your question, I do exactly as SusannaMarie. Works well for me.
  • kendrafallon
    Options
    Ask your instructor before going out and getting a hrm. I'm not allowed to wear anything on my wrists in classes.
    But to answer your question, I do exactly as SusannaMarie. Works well for me.
    I don't wear anything on my wrists - the HRM I use has a chest band and I can stick the wrist watch down my cleavage :wink: an advantage to being an woman :tongue:

I know none of the guys I train with use a HRM, but then they're not trying to lose weight or track how many calories they burn. There are alternatives to wristband HRMs, you just need to investigate to find them
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    On average, it's probably the same as walking. Sure, sparring and bag work is exciting, but how about form drills? Very low intensity. I track Muay Thai at 6 calories per minute.
  • kumitekg
    kumitekg Posts: 61
    Options
    I have this issue as well (I don't have a HRM). I usually just log it under the judo, karate, kickboxing... and I don't log the full time. Without the recommended HRM, I guess it is really hard to track this since every class is different. I can't really believe I burn the same calories in each class since they are so varied. For a 60 minute class, I usually log 40 minutes (taking into account that at minimum we have the warm up time, etc.).
  • rms922
    rms922 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Generally for me, a ninety minute class burns a little more than 800 calories although it depends on the work out we do that day. Obviously a kata day would be less intense than a sparring day
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    What is your class like? For example are you learning forms or are you sparring/punching/kicking? I cannot wear an HRM during class but I do during my 1 hr practice session. Since I am doing 4 iterations of 4 kata along with some weapon work, in an hour I burn about 900 cals as per the HRM. During my class I just use the judo/karate entry in MFP. Until I can afford an HRM that I can hide underneathe my GI.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It's not out yet, but you may consider investing in Athos gear. It fits like under armor under your gi or whatever else you're wearing. And gives you feedback on your form, muscle effort, breathing, HR, etc. http://www.liveathos.com/
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    This interesting stuff. I find myself wondering whether it will be durable enough to handle the stresses placed on it by, for example, a BJJ, Muay Thai or boxing workout.

What I currently use is an armband-mounted sensor by BodyMedia called a Fit. I chose it specifically because of its accuracy on calorie burns and because wrist mounted sensors don't work for martial arts. I'm disappointed that this model is being discontinued, because it works great.

Calorie burns? It depends on what you're doing. If I'm drilling something technical I can get half the calorie burn of a sparring night. I also burn fewer calories in BJJ than Muay Thai, which tells me I'm not as advanced in BJJ and am spending time learning fundamentals and drilling them.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It would be interesting to see if it can stand up to a martial arts workout, wouldn't it? Maybe we can volunteer to beta-test it for them :smile: :smile:
    This interesting stuff. I find myself wondering whether it will be durable enough to handle the stresses placed on it by, for example, a BJJ, Muay Thai or boxing workout.

What I currently use is an armband-mounted sensor by BodyMedia called a Fit. I chose it specifically because of its accuracy on calorie burns and because wrist mounted sensors don't work for martial arts. I'm disappointed that this model is being discontinued, because it works great.

Calorie burns? It depends on what you're doing. If I'm drilling something technical I can get half the calorie burn of a sparring night. I also burn fewer calories in BJJ than Muay Thai, which tells me I'm not as advanced in BJJ and am spending time learning fundamentals and drilling them.
  • frankenchops
    frankenchops Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Based on the few that are using a HRM, it looks like estimates from MFP for a 60 min boxing sparring session (687 cals burned) or a 60 min martial arts workout (763 cals burned) are rather conservative.
  • NitoMark
    Options
    I break the training down as the 120 minutes of instruction can be intense or can be a good amount of low activity and talking. On the other hand, sparring burns a lot calories. So I make 2 or 3 entries with different calorie values rather than an average.
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    The "martial arts" entry is a slightly lower (599/hour) than the judo, karate et c (680/hour) I often use the "calisthenics, vigorous" (544/hour) for warm-ups and other moderate exertion items (all of the above calculated for a 150 lb person, so your numbers will vary)
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I just got a HRM to answer this question. I got a Schosche Rhythm+, which I can wear as an armband turned to the inside, to avoid damaging the unit while sparring.

So far, it shows that I do ~1000/hr when I am working forms (continuous motion, full power). I haven't tried it yet, sparring, but plan to this weekend.
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    It varies for me I burn more when doing kumite ( sparring) I know this because I can feel the sweat dripping down my back!!

I burn more doing kata than basics, I've not managed to track my calorie burn as I can't wear my polar due to it catching when sparring but average in 90 mins( I weigh 120 lb ) would be about 500-600 cals burnt.....I think!