Macro goal vs consumption experiment

So, I am pretty much 2 months into keto and my first approach to macro calculation was to use an online macro calculator. I tried to accurately represent the activity level I was living and it calculated it out at about 1600 calories, 20 gm carbs, 80 gm protein (i set that according to guidelines), and the rest fat. I wore a Fitbit flex (step counter) and most of my activity was step based so I was definitely working hard to keep up with the activity level I set in the calculator so I maintained a 30% deficit. Fitbit integrates to MFP automatically so I knew the days I needed to make bigger commitments to my walks. I was pretty successful with that but decided to make a subtle change this past week.

I reran the calculator a week ago as a sedentary person (and 20 lbs lighter) and it gave me a macro suggestion of 1200 cals, 20 net carbs, 81 protein, and 89 gm fat. I set that into MFP and let my Fitbit tell me how many additional calories I could eat and ate most of them.

The interesting thing is that for the most part, I had the same allowance for daily calories but actually ate less using the latter approach. I tended to go over my allowance more often using the former method because my mental target for eating started out higher. I'm going to stick with my latter method for now (down 2+ lbs this week).

Just thought I'd share my experiment!

Replies

• DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    So interesting. I've had a slightly different experience. I too started in September and at that time my calories were 1200 with 5% carb/70% fat/ 25% protein. I lost weight and felt good, but had a hard time hitting my fat goals at that calorie level. So last month, I upped my calories to about 1500, keeping the same macro breakdown. I continue to lose weight this way. However, I do not have a fit bit and actually haven't started working out again. Prior to Keto, I was using only calorie restriction and exercise and I had stalled. Since I have bumbled my way keto, I had several weeks of 'falling off the wagon' and then having to get through the keto flu several weeks in a row. The last few weeks I've had better control and decided yesterday to start working out again. Today was my first day of a short strength work out (body weight only), but I have a plan to start slow with strength and build back up to cardio (which I actually hate, but being a mom need to be able to run somewhat). In plotting this out, I am wondering whether I'll be upping my calories or not. I guess it will be dependent as well on whether I am still working to lose weight or maintain.