Question...

Options
I was planning on having my first fast day on Tuesday but I'm now working everyday this week. Am I being a bit over-dramatic in thinking I shouldn't start fasting when I have work? I work in healthcare, do 7-8 hour shifts and I'm on my feet for pretty much all of the shift....

Replies

• jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    A lot of 5:2ers say being busy makes the fast much easier. Here is my advice (feel free to take it or leave it). You can give it try on a work day. If it gets to be too much eat something and then take time decide your next best move. The main thing about 5:2 is to do what works for you. No pressure here to do it like everyone else.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Working will distract you; I'd say go for it.

When you first play around with fasting, it'll be on your mind often because the real hunger is usually a new and different feeling.
  • jknight001
    Options
    Oh, and if you do fast on a work day, don't forget in your busyness to keep hydrated. It will help a lot.
  • purpleberry2
    purpleberry2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! thinking about it, when i do an afternoon shift, i don't tend to eat until 12 anyway then i wouldnt eat until my break at 6/7 so I reckon a fast day could work
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    jknight001 wrote: »
    A lot of 5:2ers say being busy makes the fast much easier. Here is my advice (feel free to take it or leave it). You can give it try on a work day. If it gets to be too much eat something and then take time decide your next best move. The main thing about 5:2 is to do what works for you. No pressure here to do it like everyone else.
    +1 <nodding>

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I teach apprentices...My easiest fast days are when I am busy teaching and instructing and all of a sudden it's lunch time or already time to go home. My hardest ones are my office days or when I'm at home doing nothing.

I agree with jknight - try a few different things and then do YOUR thing. No rules to 5:2 other than around 500cals two days a week. The rest is all fitted to your personal needs. If anyone tells you you're doing it all wrong....send them to me :p
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    so glad i saw this! I normally work from home on tuesdays and fast. No tempting foods laying around the office ( chips cookies nuts cheese fruit....)
    but i have fasted once on a work day and I survived - so I will try it tomorrow.
  • debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    jknight001 wrote: »

This ^^^^^ You need to do what's best for you and what you can stick to.
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    well it worked. I went to the office today and fasted. Actually found it easy. I ate a meal at 4:00 before driving home ( my commute is 60 minutes) as I did not want to pass out or feel queasy. Finished dinner around 8:30 pm and feel great. I may start more fasts at work days.

thank you for the encouragement - I would not have even attempted if not for this board
    -
  • jknight001
    Options
    angela233Z wrote: »
    well it worked. I went to the office today and fasted. Actually found it easy. I ate a meal at 4:00 before driving home ( my commute is 60 minutes) as I did not want to pass out or feel queasy. Finished dinner around 8:30 pm and feel great. I may start more fasts at work days.

thank you for the encouragement - I would not have even attempted if not for this board
    -

Fantastic. :joy: One never knows what one can accomplish until they try.