2 quick questions...

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
1st...How do I add tons of fat to my diet but not calories? I don't want to go over 1300 but I guess I may have to with all the added fat.

2nd..why isn't American cheese allowed on the keto diet? I see that cheddar is allowed but why not American?

Thank you! Sorry I'm such a newbie!

Replies

• volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I eat fat in the form of coconut oil, heavy cream, butter, peanut butter, macadamia nuts, almonds, cream cheese, sour cream, ranch dressing etc. They are high in both fat and calories but eating more fat will help you not feel hungry if eaten in the right amounts. I will eat 80% of my calories from fat, so that lends to about 350 calories per meal for me. (I eat 2-3 times per day). Plus I have protein. I hope that helps.

I have never heard of number 2 - I have American cheese from time to time. I don't like the "processed" part of it - but if you're not eating it all the time I think it's ok. Chedder is higher in fat, so that may be the reasoning for it being listed in most keto recipes. :)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    1st: If you go over on fat, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You're better off going over calorie-wise on the fat than carbs. Keep your carbs at 25 grams per day. That is key. And that is the hardest part of the diet (its hard for me). Eat meat, it has a lot of protein and fat. I hope you are using the MyFitnessPal app or tracking on this website?

2nd: I eat Velveeta cheese every day. It is American. I love it. It does have 2 grams of sugar/carbs per slice. I usually eat 2 slices a day. Sometimes more. It is my favorite cheese of all cheeses. You were probably told not to eat American from a "paleo" website. They don't like anything processed. This group Keto is NOT paleo. So you CAN eat it.

My funny cheese story:

I am 57 and never tried a cheese called Brie. All my friends were telling me how great it was. So I went to the store and bought some. It was expensive. Got home and sliced a small piece off and ate it. It was the worst tasting cheese I have ever eaten! YUCK! I am a 275 pound person that eats just about everything and I hate that stuff. I am going to throw it outside my house and see if the raccoons will even eat it! Give me some Velveeta ANY day over that stuff!

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Velveeta Land Michigan

• Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks so much! What about alcohol and crystal lite in my water?
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would not drink alcohol until you see how your body reacts to ketosis. Alcohol will kick you out of ketosis and set you back. I have had vodka with water and used a "mio" flavor drop to just have a social drink on occasions. I find it gives me a terrible headache though. I do use crystal light about 1x per week. I mostly drink water with lemon or cucumber.
  • mherbert0
    mherbert0 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The main problem with most "processed" cheese, is they are made from vegetable oil, which is high in omega-6 (pro-inflammatory). Additionally vegetable oil, is not tolerant to being heated, and when heated produces trans fats, and other unnatural molecules.

That being said, you can still eat american and other processed cheeses, but make sure not to heat them, and try to limit how much you eat. If you are having problems with inflammation (c-reactive protein), or low HDL, these are foods to avoid.
  • mherbert0
    Options
    Adding tons of fat to your diet is surprisingly easy, once you get used to it. When I first started keto, I had the same concern. I was so "brain washed" that fat was bad, that I couldn't fathom eating that much fat. It seemed so counter-intuitive, and crazy. Now that I've been doing it for 4 months, it's natural and easy most days. Here's a few simple ideas (google them):

1) Bullet Proof Coffee
    2) Fat bombs
    3) Lots of Bacon (don't drain it on paper towels!)
    4) look up recipes on ruled.me, genaw.com/, reddit, or pinterest.
    5) When cooking add lots of butter to everything (butter those veggies!)

Have fun!
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!
  • DittoDan
    Options
    mherbert0 wrote: »
    The main problem with most "processed" cheese, is they are made from vegetable oil, which is high in omega-6 (pro-inflammatory). Additionally vegetable oil, is not tolerant to being heated, and when heated produces trans fats, and other unnatural molecules.

That being said, you can still eat american and other processed cheeses, but make sure not to heat them, and try to limit how much you eat. If you are having problems with inflammation (c-reactive protein), or low HDL, these are foods to avoid.

I never heard that before. I looked up Velveeta on Wiki and for the ingredients, it lists:

Milk, water, milkfat, whey, milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate, sodium phosphate; contains less than 2% of: salt, calcium phosphate, lactic acid, sorbic acid as a preservative, sodium alginate, sodium citrate, enzymes, apocarotenal (color), annatto (color), and cheese culture.

Can you tell me which ingredient above comes from vegetable oil?

Thank you,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options
    I eat keto with a max of 1351 calories. My diary is open, feel free to take a look. I get alot of fat from eggs, grassfed butter, heavy whipping cream, coconut oil, olive oil, cheddar cheese, guacomole, I pick fattier meat (skin on chicken thighs, ribeye or strip steak, ground chuck, pork shoulder/butt)

Also, I don't eat American cheese (personal preference), but I imagine it is contraindicated due to containing higher carbs than other cheese.
  • truelove7
    truelove7 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have only been on keto for 3 weeks, but here's what I've found to be helpful:

1) Fat - I love fat so I don't have a problem getting enough fat. Stir fry your low carb veggies in bacon grease. It's a Southern tradition, so that's the way I grew up. Add bacon to the pot when cooking green beans, kale, collard greens, etc. Add butter to anything you can. (I love butter.) Avocados and olives are also a great source of fat. I have also started adding a bit of heavy whipping cream to my coffee and it's delicious. Try the recipe for Bulletproof coffee...it's surprisingly good. Also, switch to higher fat ground beef. Because I have always been on a DIET, I was used to buying 93/7 ground beef. Now I buy 73/27 or 80/20. (God, I love Keto.)

2) American Cheese - I eat American cheese occasionally. However, I eat the "Deluxe" American cheese slices. The package says "American Cheese" vs "American Cheese Product." They are only 1 carb per slice. I love a slice of American Cheese slapped on top of my 2 fried eggs (fried in butter or bacon grease.)

3) Alcohol-Imma be honest. I'm a drinker. Pre-keto, wine was my thing. Now I stick to whiskey. I find I drink less. So, I can still have my drink...whiskey has 0 carbs but you still need to account for the calories if you're on a deficit. I would say I have a drink every day or every other day and it hasn't interfered with keto yet. So far, I'm down 13 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks. However, when my weight loss slows, alcohol will be the first thing to go.

Sorry so long...I did so much research before starting Keto, I figured I'd try to give as much anecdotal feedback as possible. Especially about drinking, because people don't really like to talk about how much they drink. Good luck!
  • truelove7
    truelove7 Posts: 79 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Also wanted to add that you can be successful @ 1300 calories. Use the keto calculator to figure out your macros so you'll know what % of those calories need to come from fat, protein and carbs. I'm not super strict with counting calories. My goal is 1700-1900 calories and my macros are 75% Fat 20% protein and 5% carbs. I don't stress TOO much about hitting fat or protein goals, but I am absolutely strict about my carbs. I keep my total carbs under 20 for the day. Most days I'm at about 10-15g carbs, all of which come from veggies and some cheeses.

ETA: This is what works for me...you have to figure out what works for you. :smile:
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks so much truelove and flyingcircus! Great info and advice!
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    why 1300 cals? Are you very petite? Are you aiming for a very large deficit like >500 cals per day? How much weight do you have to lose?

Eat fat. Skin on chicken, fattier beef like 80/20, heavy cream, butter, cream cheese (watch the carbs, though), full fat greek yogurt and sour cream, avocados, coconut oil, olive oil, lard, bacon grease, olives, some nut oils are ok (check some paleo websites for the best oils to eat and cook with) egg yolks, cheese. I have no issues hitting my fat macro now. I used to because of all the brainwashing from before, but that has passed. Eat all the fats.

I think mostly the American cheese thing has to do with the carb count, but if it fits your macros and calories, I'm not really sure why it would be off limits unless it is made from vegetable oil...but Dan showed us that Velveeta is not. I don't think Kraft singles are either, but I'm not certain.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    why 1300 cals?
    <snipped>
    I think mostly the American cheese thing has to do with the carb count, but if it fits your macros and calories, I'm not really sure why it would be off limits unless it is made from vegetable oil...but Dan showed us that Velveeta is not. I don't think Kraft singles are either, but I'm not certain.
    SLJ;

In a previous life, loved V as much as the next guy (how else could one make a "homemade", reasonable facsimile of a Philly Cheesesteak Sandy?)

Might not be veg oils but it is "processed" (milk & milk "by products", etc) and those carbs (3/oz) are coming from somewhere (sugar).

tinyurl.com/k7dhs7m

Agree that we all have our "vices" and not only are none of us "perfect" but it's better to bend the rules once in a while if it helps you stay basically on track - but,

for me, the Velveeta on the steak would be just too close to that cheesesteak I remember and if the V is ok, why not go find me a fresh baked sub roll and do it up right?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options
    why 1300 cals? Are you very petite? Are you aiming for a very large deficit like >500 cals per day? How much weight do you have to lose?

1350 for me is because I had/have so much to lose. 7 months in today(I think) and I am down 99.3lbs, from 375.3 to 276. I have another 100 minimum to go, shooting for more like another 120. I also do not struggle with my cals at all, so see no point in adding more.
  • mherbert0
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I never heard that before. I looked up Velveeta on Wiki and for the ingredients, it lists:

Milk, water, milkfat, whey, milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate, sodium phosphate; contains less than 2% of: salt, calcium phosphate, lactic acid, sorbic acid as a preservative, sodium alginate, sodium citrate, enzymes, apocarotenal (color), annatto (color), and cheese culture.

Can you tell me which ingredient above comes from vegetable oil?

Thank you,

Dan the Man from Michigan

Dan, you are quite right! My apologies. Neither american nor Velveeta seem to have any vegetable oil in them ... not sure why I thought that (will make sure to do my research next time :smile: )
  • DittoDan
    Options
    why 1300 cals?
    <snipped>
    SLJ;

In a previous life, loved V as much as the next guy (how else could one make a "homemade", reasonable facsimile of a Philly Cheesesteak Sandy?)

Might not be veg oils but it is "processed" (milk & milk "by products", etc) and those carbs (3/oz) are coming from somewhere (sugar).

tinyurl.com/k7dhs7m

Agree that we all have our "vices" and not only are none of us "perfect" but it's better to bend the rules once in a while if it helps you stay basically on track - but,

for me, the Velveeta on the steak would be just too close to that cheesesteak I remember and if the V is ok, why not go find me a fresh baked sub roll and do it up right?

dean that is ridiculous. Your food diary is open. I looked at it and you eat and drink several foods that have more carbs than a slice of Velveeta. Your, wine, sauerkraut and Hannaford sausage. By following your logic, then I wouldn't eat sauerkraut ~ "why not do it right and add a hotdog and a bun?"

Remember, Keto is LOW carb, not NO carb. If we want to eat a food that has a whopping 3 carbs in it, we can ~ without dumb statements like that.

Dan the Man from I-Love-Velveeta Michigan

P.S. That wine you drink is processed.

• KaroshiQueen
    KaroshiQueen Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    why 1300 cals?
    <snipped>
    SLJ;

tinyurl.com/k7dhs7m

...sauerkraut ~ "why not do it right and add a hotdog and a bun?"

UM yes please. And I'll take a Chicago Dog as well, if anyone's delivering. :smiley:
  • DittoDan
    Options

...sauerkraut ~ "why not do it right and add a hotdog and a bun?"

UM yes please. And I'll take a Chicago Dog as well, if anyone's delivering. :smiley:

Yeah, they eat those sauerkraut dogs a lot up here in Michigan. What is a Chicago Dog? Oh, never mind. I'm going to Chicago to see my daughter next Sunday, I'll ask her...
  • Lisa1971
    Options

Eat fat. Skin on chicken, fattier beef like 80/20, heavy cream, butter, cream cheese (watch the carbs, though), full fat greek yogurt and sour cream, avocados, coconut oil, olive oil, lard, bacon grease, olives, some nut oils are ok (check some paleo websites for the best oils to eat and cook with) egg yolks, cheese. I have no issues hitting my fat macro now. I used to because of all the brainwashing from before, but that has passed. Eat all the fats.

I also have a lot to lose (50lbs) so this seems do able to me. Do you think this is too low? I'm 5'3 and 182lbs. Not sure of my bf% because I don't have a bf scale.