How much exercise on keto and do you eat back your exercise calories?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
I've been exercising about 4-5 days a week. I lift heavy m-th and do cardio. I usually burn roughly 400-500 calories each day. Should I increase this or decrease this or keep it the same? Also, do you eat back your exercise calories? I haven't been but wondering if I should?

Thanks!
Lisa

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I think if you feel fine while exercising, you should continue it.

I eat back half of my exercise calories from cardio only. I do have a hrm which gives me a more accurate idea, but I still feel better shooting for just half.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It took me awhile to be able to exercise with any intensity at all. Weeks actually. Now I can play competitive racquetball, yoga classes, spin classes, elliptical/treadmill/rowing machine, walk long distances, take stairs quickly and with ease, mountain bike (still working my way back on that), calisthenics, weight lifting, etc., with excellent energy and stamina. Of course, losing weight has helped that out some, but the energy is there for workouts, when it wasn't at first during the adaptation to fat burning instead of carb burning.

I do not eat back my exercise calories because I have no idea how many I'm burning, I'm not in a huge deficit, and I consider exercise as a buffer in case my logging is a tiny bit off or something. I view exercise as a means for health, rather than weight loss because I have NEVER been able to lose weight by increasing exercise, no matter what the mix of cardio/strength there was. I have lost weight very successfully with caloric deficit. Exercise adds a bit more to my caloric deficit (it does make me hungrier), but how much....anyone's guess?? I have not had my VO2 measured, though have recently had my bodyfat checked with hydrostatic weighing and go back in March for a follow up. I may investigate the cost of the VO2 testing while there. I know they do it. Just don't know if it's worth the money to find out when what I'm doing has been working so well.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    I set my macros as a sedentary person and eat those as a minimum. I exercise regularly and use a Fitbit to track the majority of my activity as it is normally step based (walking, jogging, stuff around the house. I eat as many of those activity calories as I feel I need to that day. Some days it's all of them, and some day only some. The point of exercise for me is NOT just about losing weight. I feel good, my muscles and heart are stimulated, and I am keeping my metabolism revved up and myself "young" with movement and weight bearing activity. I actually feel less hungry on the days I get some activity in as long as I drink my fluids. It's worth making walking exercise a habit!
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I do crossfit 2x per week and cardio/weight training 3x per week - I do not eat back my calories. I do, however, increase my protein on weight training days - not an exact science with my macros - I'll just have a spoonful of peanut butter or a protein shake post workout.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've only recently felt well and energetic enough to exercise, and have started a C25K program (I'm in week 4 now). I do the C25K 3xweek, and I try to walk every day (mornings and lunch time during the work week - including C25K days) for a minimum of 1/2 hour each go. I also have a kettle bell that I play with to try and get rid of the "batwings". Except for Sunday. That is my day off :smile:

I do not intentionally eat back exercise calories...per se; however, if I am hungry....I eat...if I am not...I don't.