Thanksgiving

PrizePopple
PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
What are you people planning?

I think this is what my "menu" looks like so far...

Brined Turkey
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Mashed Potatoes
Marmite Gravy
Baked Sweet Potato
Homemade Stuffing
Green Bean Casserole
Buttermilk Biscuits

Homemade Pumpkin Pie
Cream Cheese Pie

I'm cooking for 6 adults and 2 kids, 7 adults if my MIL decides to come (she's already mostly backed out though, and I can't say I'm offended). :stuck_out_tongue:

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    This year it's just me and my husband but it looks like:

Brined Turkey
    Mashed Potatoes
    Sweet potatoes
    Homemade Cranberry chutney
    Plopped out of a can cranberry sauce for my husband
    Stuffing
    Brussel sprouts
    Dinner rolls (if I get around to making the dough)

Pumpkin pie for me
    Mincemeat & Apple for him
    Gelato
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Brined turkey
    Cornbread and sausage stuffing
    Baked mac and cheese
    Collard greens
    Sweet potato casserole
    Cranberry sauce
    Sour cream mashed potatoes
    Southern green beans and bacon
    Corn pudding

Sweet potato cinnamon roll cake
    Pecan pie bars

All from scratch and I will be cooking. I maybe doing a joint Thanksgiving with some friends so that will probably add some delicious puerto rican food to the mix.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    My parents are ordering from a barbecue restaurant in town. We did it last year, and for just the three of us (apparently my brother/sister-in-law will be at her mother's) that's all we need. Just heat it up and we're good to go!

Turkey breast
    Dressing
    Mashed potatoes/gravy
    Cranberry sauce
    Sweet potatoes for Dad, though I might try them this year

I might make something as well, depending on how much time I have (I was asked yesterday if I wanted to work that morning, but my schedule isn't reflecting that yet). We have pumpkin pie from the butcher shop, as they have their own bakery built in, and then we'll make date pudding as well, which is amazing. Then bed, wake up at 2:45 for work, and leftovers!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    No clue what we're having as I'm going to a potluck "orphan" thanksgiving. I'm bringing pumpkin bread stuffing.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I'll be eating at a friend's so I'm not sure what she's planning. I'll be taking my grandma's sweet dinner rolls, roasted garlic mac and cheese, and some kind of cupcakes, as yet undetermined.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I am celebrating with my husband's family and then on Saturday with my family. They both include most of the staples. There are a few key differences:

Husband's Side (heavy on the appetizers)
    Bacon Wrapped Pheasant (cousins are bird hunters)
    Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies (we like bacon)
    Chips and Homemade Salsa (every single get together we have the same salsa)
    Another Appetizer that I've been assigned and am open to suggestions...
    Fried Turkey
    Roasted Turkey
    Mashed Potatoes (with cream cheese, butter, and sour cream then baked)
    Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows
    Popovers
    Green Beans with Ham Hock
    Dressing
    Cranberry Sauce (probably from a can)
    Pecan Pie
    Pumpkin Pie
    Cherry Pie
    Chocolate Bundt Cake
    An Alternative Pumpkin Dessert which I have been assigned and am open to suggestions.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    My Side
    (not even sure if we will have appetizers)
    Smoked Turkey Breast
    Prime Rib
    Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
    Dressing
    Green Bean Casserole
    Sweet Potato Casserole (my contribution)
    Homemade Cranberry Sauce (also my contribution)
    Homemade Crescent Rolls
    Pecan Pie

About 3 hours later a Pumpkin Challenge which I'm still trying to decide what to make..

Both sides will include lots of beer/wine - it is a family celebration after all!
  • PrizePopple
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I have no clue. I'm working 8am to 4pm and we were going to go to Dora's families house in Poughkeepsie but yesterday they told her dinner is at 6pm. We won't make it so she's going up alone. It will be me and the dog going to my mom's house.

The work schedule is one thing I'm not looking forward to with my plan to go into nursing. :(
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Actually going out...I will be making several j-ello salads including the traditional family pineapple salad (which I was 30 before I found out it didn't contain j-ello). I may smuggle some into the restaurant.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Luckily I'm in charge of dessert. There will be baklava,cheesecake,a New recipe banana cake and of course a pumpkin pie. Probably some cookies too!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    I'll be eating at a friend's so I'm not sure what she's planning. I'll be taking my grandma's sweet dinner rolls, roasted garlic mac and cheese, and some kind of cupcakes, as yet undetermined.

I think I've settled on gingerbread cupcakes-- it's supposed to be the Georgetown Cupcakes recipe.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member

I think I've settled on gingerbread cupcakes-- it's supposed to be the Georgetown Cupcakes recipe.

I have had uneven results with their cupcakes...I would suggest a test batch. I actually don't think those sisters know how to bake.
  • PrizePopple
    Luckily I'm in charge of dessert. There will be baklava,cheesecake,a New recipe banana cake and of course a pumpkin pie. Probably some cookies too!

I make pretty good baklava, and that's so very temping since my grandma will be here. I know she would love it. I'm part Greek, so I would hope I don't fail totally in that ethnic food realm. :laugh:

Gingerbread is a requirement in this house during the month of December. :mrgreen:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    edited November 2014

Thanks for the heads up-- I'll do a test batch this weekend

eta not sure why that didn't work. I meant to quote bkthandler
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

I make pretty good baklava, and that's so very temping since my grandma will be here. I know she would love it. I'm part Greek, so I would hope I don't fail totally in that ethnic food realm. :laugh:

I just watched a good eats episode on baklava. It looks so labor intensive... I'm super lazy, and the shwarma king down the road has 10 different varieties. When we finished the show, I decided it would be so much easier to order a sampler plate from them.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    auddii wrote: »

I just watched a good eats episode on baklava. It looks so labor intensive... I'm super lazy, and the shwarma king down the road has 10 different varieties. When we finished the show, I decided it would be so much easier to order a sampler plate from them.

It is. But so worth it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    auddii wrote: »

To be fair, everything on Good Eats is labor intensive. Probably worth it though (I've never tried any of his recipes but they all look amazing).
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Roasted turkey
    Stuffing
    Mashed potatoes
    Rice (hubs is Portuguese--everything comes with a side of rice!)
    Mashed sweet potatoes
    Gravy
    Rolls
    Brussels sprouts with bacon
    Cranberry sauce
    Salad
    Apple cake
    Pumpkin pie
    Lots and lots of wine