Thanksgiving

Options

Replies

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I am celebrating with my husband's family and then on Saturday with my family. They both include most of the staples. There are a few key differences:

Husband's Side (heavy on the appetizers)
    Bacon Wrapped Pheasant (cousins are bird hunters)
    Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies (we like bacon)
    Chips and Homemade Salsa (every single get together we have the same salsa)
    Another Appetizer that I've been assigned and am open to suggestions...
    Fried Turkey
    Roasted Turkey
    Mashed Potatoes (with cream cheese, butter, and sour cream then baked)
    Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows
    Popovers
    Green Beans with Ham Hock
    Dressing
    Cranberry Sauce (probably from a can)
    Pecan Pie
    Pumpkin Pie
    Cherry Pie
    Chocolate Bundt Cake
    An Alternative Pumpkin Dessert which I have been assigned and am open to suggestions.

Can I come to both of your feasts?!
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Luckily I'm in charge of dessert. There will be baklava,cheesecake,a New recipe banana cake and of course a pumpkin pie. Probably some cookies too!

I make pretty good baklava, and that's so very temping since my grandma will be here. I know she would love it. I'm part Greek, so I would hope I don't fail totally in that ethnic food realm. :laugh:

I just watched a good eats episode on baklava. It looks so labor intensive... I'm super lazy, and the shwarma king down the road has 10 different varieties. When we finished the show, I decided it would be so much easier to order a sampler plate from them.

It is. But so worth it.

A former boss (who I cannot describe thanks to the terms of MFP) made Baklava every Christmas....it's the only thing she ever made and it was so much better than what I have ever had from a store. She wasn't greek so I have no idea what the deal was but homemade baklava is a whole different thing.

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The menu is still in the words, but so far it looks like:

- Roasted Lamb Chops
    - Pan fried lemon pepper shrimp & avocado
    - Two Peruvian style roasted chickens (from this great carryout place down the street)
    - Broccoli & Raisin Salad
    - Thyme Peas
    - Three Bean Salad
    - Pecan and brown sugar crusted sweet potato casserole
    - Roles or Croissants
    - Pumpkin Pie (store bought)

And I'm seriously considering making the following with Talenti or Turkey Hill's pumpkin pie flavors:

IMG_4553.JPG
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I'm in charge of dessert. I'm planning to make a pumpkin pie and another pie, butI'm not sure what type yet.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I managed to get off on thanksgiving today. I have to work the Saturday after for someone in return. So I get to go to Poughkeepsie with Dora but then she tells me that her parents are also having some friends over so we can take Leo (the little dude in my avi) with us but he has to stay at her sisters place because he will bark at them non stop. I have mixed feelings. :'(

Aww poor Leo. I have barkers too. I haven't decided whether to take them with me. They're welcome at my friend's house but with all those strangers there I'm not sure how much they'd enjoy being there. Especially the small grumpy one.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I managed to get off on thanksgiving today. I have to work the Saturday after for someone in return. So I get to go to Poughkeepsie with Dora but then she tells me that her parents are also having some friends over so we can take Leo (the little dude in my avi) with us but he has to stay at her sisters place because he will bark at them non stop. I have mixed feelings. :'(

Aww poor Leo. I have barkers too. I haven't decided whether to take them with me. They're welcome at my friend's house but with all those strangers there I'm not sure how much they'd enjoy being there. Especially the small grumpy one.

Yeah I can totally understand why he can't be there. People see him and they always say he's so cute and want to pet him and I have to tell them "Be careful he'll snap at you, he's an a'hole". His really is but he's the most lovable dog in the world with us.

That's pretty standard for chihuahuas isn't it? I think all the ones I've known have been very one or two person dogs. My little one is just blind and grouchy. Little kids want to run at him and reach over his head to pet him because he's tiny, but he can't see them and it freaks him out. He's never snapped at anyone (his teeth don't line up anyway) but he gets really stressed out and ends up huddled in a corner someplace.

I think I'm just going to bring him home a plate.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Lots of pie. >:)

Oh and a side of Turkey, Green bean casserole, stuffing, brussel sprouts, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. You know.. the usual suspects.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Looks like I've got a change of plans. A lady just placed an order for three kinds of cookies and 3 kinds of cupcakes for Thanksgiving. So I guess I'll be doing that. Since she ordered an odd number we'll probably just be having the extras for our desserts.

Hummingbird cake, carrot cake, gingerbread cupcakes

White chocolate snickerdoodles, brown butter chocolate chip, Triple Chocolate Fudge cookies.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Looks like I've got a change of plans. A lady just placed an order for three kinds of cookies and 3 kinds of cupcakes for Thanksgiving. So I guess I'll be doing that. Since she ordered an odd number we'll probably just be having the extras for our desserts.

White chocolate snickerdoodles, brown butter chocolate chip, Triple Chocolate Fudge cookies.

So how exactly do I place my order?

I'll be happy to take your money just as soon as I figure out how to ship cupcakes to New York without them ending up smeared all over the packaging.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I'll be happy to take your money just as soon as I figure out how to ship cupcakes to New York without them ending up smeared all over the packaging.
    Looks like I have some homework to do.

Jen sent me a tutorial to do it the way Georgetown does theirs. But even the ones in the picture ended up pretty smushed.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Looks like I have some homework to do.

Jen sent me a tutorial to do it the way Georgetown does theirs. But even the ones in the picture ended up pretty smushed.

Yea that one I sent they had shipping issues took 3 days instead of overnight.. but I'll take smushed I'm okay with that
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Truthfully I have two reasons for dragging my feet. First, my most popular recipes are the ones with cinnamon. And second, I'm intimidated by the concept of competing with all those fancy NY bakeries. Around here I'm a big fish in a small pond.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Truthfully I have two reasons for dragging my feet. First, my most popular recipes are the ones with cinnamon. And second, I'm intimidated by the concept of competing with all those fancy NY bakeries. Around here I'm a big fish in a small pond.

Never be intimidated by NYC. It's just a name. We have so much crappy food in this city but they stay open because we have so many damn people in this city that just enough people have to like it for it to survive. I'm sure your cupcakes would kill it here.

Does Dora at least like cinnamon? Because seriously, my best recipes have it. I'm working on a salted caramel buttercream though of which I'm sure you'd be a fan.