Finally did it!

Options
ggoss10
ggoss10 Posts: 32 Member
Big moment for me - I finally took the plunge and started the C25K last night! We joined a gym a few weeks back, then I got hit by a nasty cold, so I haven't gone much. Last night, I went, and even though I was the fattest person in the gym, and I was jiggling like jello as I jogged on the Dreadmill..
I DID IT!!
And I only had to stop once due to a text from the sitter.
I was sweating, surrounded by mirrors, looking less amazing than the two tiny girls on the eliptical, but I kept going!
And I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs when I finished the first day :)

I read a bunch of the threads in this group before going to the gym last night so I want to say Thanks for all who have posted. Totally inspiring.

Replies

• tacobelle2014
    Options
    The feeling of that first finish is great isn't it :D
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I always feel self-conscious when I'm doing this program and surrounded by those who look like they were born with 10% BF but I know I'm always super encouraging for everyone I know that they can do whatever fitness goals they have set out for themselves, so I think to myself maybe those girls are applauding me for getting out here and doing this? Either way, it's none of my business what others think of me. Congrats to you and here's to many more days like this :)
  • tacobelle2014
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    Congrats! I always feel self-conscious when I'm doing this program and surrounded by those who look like they were born with 10% BF but I know I'm always super encouraging for everyone I know that they can do whatever fitness goals they have set out for themselves, so I think to myself maybe those girls are applauding me for getting out here and doing this? Either way, it's none of my business what others think of me. Congrats to you and here's to many more days like this :)

I know what you mean...when I'm jogging/walking past all the dog walkers and other (thin, fit) runners with my hair stuck to my forehead, face purple and fat *kitten* trailing behind me I am hoping I turn invisible lol. I am so envious of the people who jog for miles.....oh well, that will be us at the end of c25k :D
  • ggoss10
    Options
    yeah, I was the most jiggly person at the gym by far! All these really really little people sweating away on the elliptical, not to mention the high school volley ball girls in their tiny tiny shorts.
    But who cares?! I did it :smiley: And I went back last night and did day 2 and managed to go a little faster!
    And as a yay to me, I bought a new pair of running shoes (and they were on sale! score!)
  • Timon0201
    Timon0201 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! this is just the beginning! remember this great sense of accomplishment the next time you think about skipping!
  • ggoss10
    Options
    I finished week one on Saturday and went a little faster! My knee is bothering me a bit so I am taking off until tomorrow and being nice to it ;)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    ggoss10 wrote: »
    I finished week one on Saturday and went a little faster! My knee is bothering me a bit so I am taking off until tomorrow and being nice to it ;)
    Do you have good shoes? My knee bothered me until I got fitted for good running shoes at a running store. No knee issues since!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    ggoss10 wrote: »
    Do you have good shoes? My knee bothered me until I got fitted for good running shoes at a running store. No knee issues since!

Was going to say the same thing . . . shoes make a world of difference! You might have to invest a lot in them, but you'll feel amazing after you do! I spent about $150 on mine, I wear new balance and I love them :)
  • ggoss10
    Options
    I bought a brand new pair of new balance running shoes after my first day :) My knee started bugging me badly after W2 day 1, and currently, is tender to the touch and is killing me. I've been icing it and have sworn off the Dreadmill until it feels better. I've been swimming instead. If it doesn't get better in a week, I'll make a dr. appointment. SUPER UPSET about it...I was doing so good and feeling so proud of myself...
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Did you have your shoes fit at a running store? That makes a world of difference as they'll fit the shoe to your foot and your gait.
    I read above that you ran faster on the second day? Keep it slow. A good rule is to try to speak a short sentence while running. If you huff-puff and/or pant out the sentence, you're running too fast. Slow down. Going too fast is a beginner's most common mistake and injuries will happen.

Hope your knee gets better soon.