New to heavy lifting

Options
I have been only using machines to lift because I am not too sure about my form and I don't like looking in the gym mirror. Can I still sculpt and tone using machine weights as well as I could with free weights?

Replies

• Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm new to lifting still...about 6 months in. I use free weights (dumbbells) and the Olympic barbel at my gym and am liking what I've seen so far. There are loads of youtube videos that have amazing transformations with just body weight workouts. So, I'd say it is possible! But I think heavy weights are fun and a faster way to get there :).
  • museumnerd1
    Options
    haislip93, I completely understand your hesitation. I think you can use machine to sculpt, but free weights tone better because you use all the supporting muscles as well. If you're interesting in trying free weights, I would recommend Stronglifts 5x5 program, which begins with the bar only. I had never lifted before, and found this program really helpful. http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm using machines atm too (b/c I can't get near the freeweights at the time of day that i go to the gym and I have too little free time to wait, but the machines are easy to get, so that's what I do--get done within the hour that I have free 3x/wk, or upto 6x/wk if I can get the time). It depends on number reps, how your body responds (along with diet). I have tried different ranges. I began with sets of 10,8,6,6, for about 6 weeks, then went to 5x5 for a few months, then to 4x6, which I prefer, but now I'm doing 3x12 for a little while for a change, but anxious to get back to 4x6. I had some vacations in there, so I lost some of my strength gains, but I was really progressing well for awhile at 5x5. I know this is just an interim solution for me, as my daughter will start school next year, giving me a better timeframe for the gym and hopefully a time when the freeweight section is less crowded. Just make sure that you are somehow hitting everything, because when you're doing isolation exercises like that, whatever you forgot to work into your program will suffer, while everything else progresses and imbalances like that can mess you up. Also, work extra had on your core, because it isn't being engaged for balance, like it would using free weights. Also, your burns will be a fraction of what they'd be if you were actually *supporting* (holding) the weight you are pushing/pulling, instead of JUST pushing or pulling the weight (which is supported by a structure).

After all that, remember that diet is the real key along with lifting. You have to remove the fat with proper diet in order to see the muscles underneath.