Tools of the Trade

Options

Replies

• LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I need to try that tennis ball trick! Also asking for the MP3 player from Santa, and potentially a HRM. I think the MP3 would be great for mile days, especially since I plan to do that on Sundays, which also happens to be family day at the pool. Family day = cheap price = lots and lots and lots of very loud children.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Just my old, baggy drag suit from college, swedes, and paddles. I use whatever board the pool has for kicking.

Sorry all... I'm not that exciting. ;)
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    what are 'swedes'?
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Thinking of getting some Finis burner fins (I think that's what they are called--Mac, help me out?). There's enough talk around here that I think they'd be good for me. And asking for a waterproof MP3 from Santa :)
    Love my TYR Burners. Size is accurate. No hard spots to bother my fee either. Long enough to burn my quads. Not long enough to alter my kick much from barefoot. And Amazon has them.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I love my cheap prescription goggles - saves me having to fiddle about with contact lenses and I love my swimming bandana. I was tired of my swimming cap coming off, or the feeling of hair caught in the rubber strap on my goggles. My bandana doesn't keep my hair dry (NOTHING keeps my hair dry, apparently) but at least it keeps it nice and securely tucked away and doesn't come off, due to it tying underneath my bun.

http://www.nammuhats.com/

• LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Someone tell me about prescription goggles? My eyes aren't bad enough that I can't see, but it would be nice not to have to squint to see the clock!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    edited August 2015
    Options
    what are 'swedes'?

Swedish goggles. I have no idea if they're actually Swedish. They're super cheap and you have to put them together... And the have no sponge... So it's just plastic to face.

People either love them or hate them.

9xpcpvzddbmd.jpg
    blackcoffeeandcherrypie Posts: 486 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    LauraRae2 wrote: »
    Someone tell me about prescription goggles? My eyes aren't bad enough that I can't see, but it would be nice not to have to squint to see the clock!

Search for 'prescription goggles' on ebay. Mine were about £7. If your eyes are slightly different, just go for the closest middle value - it's not like you need them for driving lol.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    LauraRae2 wrote: »

Search for 'prescription goggles' on ebay. Mine were about £7. If your eyes are slightly different, just go for the closest middle value - it's not like you need them for driving lol.

I thought about getting a pair of these. You guys are making me rethink this. I had dismissed it, thinking that goggles get permanently foggy too quickly, but someone at the pool told me, "as long as I can see the blue line, what else is there to see?" (other than the clock). I HATE my contacts. I have tried and tried to love them. I originally got them two years ago for running in the rain. I am putting them in and out almost every day, and call me stupid, but I always have one inside out which drives me nuts.

Going to look now...
    ~Curly
    Options

I thought about getting a pair of these. You guys are making me rethink this. I had dismissed it, thinking that goggles get permanently foggy too quickly

The way I see it - it'd cost me the same amount for new goggles, might as well at least get some that I see the clock with!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    Options
    Anyone use "zoomers"? Are they still around? I used to hate those things.
    61NVt3kiY6L._SY355_.jpg
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    61NVt3kiY6L._SY355_.jpg

That's exactly what I use. I'm not a fan of fins but they helped my even out my kick when I first started swimming so I try to use them regularly. It's nice to just zoom through the kick sets with them on.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    61NVt3kiY6L._SY355_.jpg

LOL, just ordered a pair. I have a terrible kick. Very weak and uneven. I'm hoping it will help me get a more consistent stroke. I don't like the long flippers at the pool. Hmm, we'll see!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    Options
    61NVt3kiY6L._SY355_.jpg

That's exactly what I use. I'm not a fan of fins but they helped my even out my kick when I first started swimming so I try to use them regularly. It's nice to just zoom through the kick sets with them on.

Ha, I was never very good with kick sets. They used to make us do 10x 50's underwater dolphin kicks at the end of workouts. Bad memories...
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Here's a cheeky one.
    A hundred years of men's swimwear: http://time.com/3988728/100-years-mens-swimsuit-fashion/
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
  • dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My suit, my goggles, and my waterproof iPod. The music puts me in a meditative zone, and cues my pace, freeing me from counting.
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Someone is very excited!
    Pity I'm still down with the flu so will have to wait a few days to try it out!
    :-)
    hlyhn45z68rh.jpg
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Nice! I hope you feel better soon.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I really like my Garmin Swim watch, congrats on your new swimming partner.
    I ordered some training fins that should be here in a few days. It was a challenge finding them in my size. Most of the rest of me has gotten smaller, but not my feet.