anyone use a knee brace?

Options
Jennloella
Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
I've begun to get some pain during squats, not enough to make me stop or lighten the load, but wonder if some support would help? Thoughts? It's a dull, almost stretching feeling when I get parallel. I just don't want to wait until it is really painful and have to completely stop.

Replies

• Surfingbodi
    Surfingbodi Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i use a knee brace for snowboarding because of a torn ACL that I could not have surgery on. what i learned about knees is that you do NOT want to use a brace on a regular basis if you do not have to as your knee musculature will become dependent on it and certain muscles you are 'protecting' actually get weaker and you are more prone to a serouc injury when you are active without the brace on it. knees are really super amazing things. if your knee is complaining, i recommend backing off what you are doing and looking for some alternative options to continue and maintain muscle strength in your lets. supported leg press might be good option but also things like the abducter and adducter machines are great for knee support and always hamstring presses as most people have much stronger quads than hamstrings which can also set the knee up for injury. keep asking around as i am not expert but this is what has worked for me to lift with no brace and no ACL in place in my left knee.
  • Jennloella
    Options
    no that does make sense....I would only consider it when squatting. No pain with lunges, but I hold the weight differently with lunges, dumb bells in each hand. I took two years off lifting to have two babies and am now trying to regain my strength, not used to aches and pains..... I was reading some stuff this morning and wonder if my joints are simply still bendy because of all the baby hormones.
  • Surfingbodi
    Surfingbodi Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    yeah, there are some huge changes after babies come through and for the most part you get back to how you were. then age kicks in and really eats away at muscle so i am finding that maintenance for strength is really big now and I did let that go for years after my kids were born for the most part because i gained strength and muscle so quickly before. be patient with your body and listen to it for it has just done some absolutely amazing!!!! respect that :)
  • Jennloella
    Options
    thanks. You're right. Just sooo eager to get back to it!