Speaking of cholesterol

Options
So since this has been a topic of recent discussion:

I had my cholesterol checked 8/13 and the numbers weren't too "bad".

Total: 172.7
Trig: 95.36
LDL: 154.72
HDL: 33.02

As I said in a previous post, the LDL/HDL was a little worrisome, but I was continuing to lose weight, and my Trig/HDL ratio was 2.89. Again, not bad but could be better.

I had my cholesterol checked again on 11/13 as part of a physical for school.

Total: 171
Trig: 79
LDL: 118
HDL: 37

While my total number barely moved, the more important markers are definitely improved. Pretty much a 37 point drop in LDL, a 4 point increase in HDL and a 15 point drop in my Triglycerides. Plus, my Trig/HDL ratio is now 2.15!

So basically my triglycerides are pretty much excellent, my LDL is good but I want to get it under 100, and my HDL is improving, want to keep raising that.

Cheers! :)

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Excellent!
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    That's great results, WTG!

I'm also having some problems with my HDL being too low, do you have any suggestions to improve it? Did you take any supplements or increased specific foods?
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I find taking omega 3 fatty acids (DHA and EPA) very helpful for HDL. It doubled my HDL. Try to find brands that have been third-party tested for contamination.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I find taking omega 3 fatty acids (DHA and EPA) very helpful for HDL. It doubled my HDL. Try to find brands that have been third-party tested for contamination.

I am taking a 1500mg dose of omega 3 fatty acids daily, from a good brand. Don't have the bottle here, at my inlaws for the holiday.

I am planning to have my cholesterol tested again in around 6 months.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Thank you Booksandbeaches and nicsflyingcircus, I'll do it. :)
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    awesome! but your arteries must be clogged with all that fat! it has to go somewhere :)
  • Kris6344
    Kris6344 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Thanks for sharing!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    That's great results, WTG!

I'm also having some problems with my HDL being too low, do you have any suggestions to improve it? Did you take any supplements or increased specific foods?

Coconut oil has been shown to increase HDL, as well. They have supplement pills if you can't do the oil straight or work it into your food.