November Challenge ~ Nov 24th -- Nov 30th

cpanus
cpanus Posts: 19,731 Member
Let's try some kettlebell exercises. If you don't have a kettlebell use a hand weight.

Kettlebells are great for cardio, strength, and flexibility training . Start by picking up the weight of your choice—women usually grab between eight and 16 kg weights. Reps and sets will depend on intensity and fitness levels, for most of these moves, we recommend aiming for 3-5 sets of 10-30 reps with good form. Ready to rock? Let’s give these kettlebells a swing, snatch, or clean!

1. Russian Kettlebell Swing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUpSFguwRQM
Targets: Shoulders, back, hips, glutes, legs
Level: Beginner

How to: To do the perfect kettlebell swing, stand up straight, with feet a bit wider than hip-distance apart. Grab the handle with both hands, keeping the palms face down and arms in front of the body. Maintain a slight bend to the knee and drive the hips back, lowering the body—but not too low (this isn't a squat!). Then, in a fluid motion, explosively drive the hips forward while swinging the kettlebell, keeping the glutes and core engaged. Remember: The motion should come from the hips, not the arms, as the body returns to standing. Lower the weight back down between the legs and keep this swinging motion going for 12 to 15 reps.

2. Single-Arm Kettlebell Swing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8uI-EopErw
Targets: Shoulders, back, hips, glutes, legs
Level: Beginner-Intermediate

How to: This movement is just like the two-handed swing, but uses one hand at a time. Swing the kettlebell up with one arm, but still swing the other arm to help drive momentum. Alternate hands when the kettlebell is behind the legs; aim for 10 to 12 reps with each arm.

3. Two-Arm Kettlebell Row https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEpLAZNED0s
Targets: Back, arms, shoulders
Level: Beginner-Intermediate

How to: Grab two kettlebells for this one. (Double the pleasure, double the fun, right?) Place them in front of the feet and bend the knees slightly. Next, bend over to grab both kettlebells and pull them towards the stomach, keeping the elbows close to the body and the back straight. Lower the weights, repeat for 12 to 15 reps max, feel like a champ.

4. Kettlebell Figure-8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr7niYklRC0
Targets: Arms, back, abs
Level: Intermediate

How to: Looking to impress a certain someone at the gym? Then try this: Start with legs a bit wider than hip-width distance apart, and lower yourself into a quarter-squat position. (Keep that back straight and chest up!) Grab the kettlebell with the left hand and swing it around the outside of the left leg and then back between the legs. Next, pass the kettlebell to the right hand and swing it around the outside of the right leg. Keep this motion going, similar to the classic basketball drill! Can you do a minute straight? (Be sure to switch directions half-way through!)

5. Kettlebell Goblet Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvVPrpusmrk
Targets: Legs, glutes, back

How to: What’s a squat without a kettlebell in hand? Stand up straight, holding the kettlebell in front of the chest with both hands, keeping the elbows close to the body. Start squatting by driving the heels into the ground and pushing the hips back until the thighs are parallel to the ground or just below. Return to standing, and repeat for 15-20 reps (or more!) Just remember: quality over quantity!

6. Kettlebell Russian Twist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd9rJNANXPs
Targets: Abs, obliques

How to: Forget crunches. Sit with the legs bent and feet flat on the floor, about hip-distance apart. Hold the kettlebell with both hands at the chest, and then lean back to a 45 degree angle. Here’s the fun part: Rotate the torso from left to right by twisting at the waist and swinging the kettlebell across the body. See how many you can do, with perfect form of course!

I tried to get some pictures in there, but they didn't copy over. I looked each one up on youtube, so have a look if you need to. Let me know what you think.

Have a great week.

Chris

Replies

• claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    This looks good and I had bought a kettleball recently so it's ideal for me!
  • lcarls71
    lcarls71 Posts: 320 Member
    Hola senoritas. Lol that's about the extent of my fluency in Spanish.

So the resort is remodeling an entire wing and of course it is the one with the gym in it :grimacing: so I am doing wall squats, mountain climbers, spider planks along with the hours upon hours of walking we have been doing. The weather has been fabulous so far and the Gulf is fairly warm. We have also been doing quite a bit of swimming and body surfing.

Diet has been so so but we did find a WalMart to get some salad fixings and fruit so I am not eating all junk. Tomorrow we are relaxing on the beach. Thursday we have all inclusive passes to the Hard Rock Hotel and Spa so I will "try" my best to behave :wink:

Keep at it ladies. It is a journey.

Lynnette :sweat_smile:
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,978 Member
    Chris I did see this. Thanks so much. I will get it done tomorrow. I went to Zumba tonight. Still a little sore. Every time I think it is all healed I find out it Isn't.

Paula sounds like you are going to have a great visit with your mom. And why would you get a window seat just to close the blind?

Lynette that sounds marvelous! You just have a great time and tell us all about the Hard Rock Hotel. :m. Wish I was there with you!

I came home with 3 New tank mates. A little baby Draco. He/she is so cute! To young to sex yet. Update went I know for sure. The little guy is hiding and hard to see right now. But so cute. :smiley: Then another type of Dragonet. This one is a spotted variety. I am pretty sure it is a she. She is not so shy. :m. And Rocky picked out a starfish.

I have two bottles with brine shrimp eggs in saltwater. I am hoping to get a live baby brine shrimp feeding station up and operating by the end of the week. If it works as expected my two babies will have a constant supply of live, nutritious baby brine shrimp. Since they are new in the tank I keep my fingers crossed for the first month. That is an adjustment period for them. Hope they make it. :blush:

Shelley
  • cpanus
    Shelley -- good luck with your new babies and the starfish. I'm glad you brought home cute ones!

Lynnette -- have a blast!

Clara -- I hope you had fun with the workout.

Paula -- miss you...see you when you get back! Have fun with your mom.

Sara and I hit the gym and met with our trainer for over an hour tonight...it was an exhausting, grueling hour! We did two of our kettlebell exercises. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be sore tomorrow because I'm feeling it right now. Maybe I can get my sweet husband to give me a back rub. I managed 6.03 miles for 12,067 steps today and my food was right on.

Everyone have a great Tuesday!

Chris

• cpanus
    Tuesday is a REST DAY for me...so sore from yesterday!!

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

Chris
  • lcarls71
    lcarls71 Posts: 320 Member
    Shelley you sound like a proud new fishy momma :wink: I also am thinking I can use the water jugs as kettle bells for the challenge.

Chris sounds like the trainer is doing the job.

Just relaxing at the resort today. Have a great day ladies.

Lynnette
  • claram5415
    Chilling at work, getting ready for the holiday. Daughter and future SIL drive in tonight late. So excited to see them! Did kettle ball workout Monday, walked yesterday, sore today! Will be exercising tomorrow with DVDs or my stationary bike before the Thanksgiving dinner. Have a great holiday!
  • cpanus
    edited November 2014
    We hit the gym tonight and workout for 50 minutes. I am so sore from Monday night ow!ow!ow! The kids are bringing Bean over tomorrow morning and we are all walking over at the school for a bit. The weather is supposed to be nice. The kids have plans w/future SIL's family tomorrow. DH and I have our own plan...just us!

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

Chris
  • zumbaforever
    Well you know how they say misery loves company? Well Chris and Clara, hugs to us all. :wink:

Great workouts you two. :smiling_imp: Chris I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your DH. And did you get that backrub? :blush:

Clara great plan to stretch out those sore muscles. :smiley:

Lynette I do not recommend water jugs. They are not balanced and could cause injury. Most of the time you can use hand weights. And yes, very happy mommy. Still waiting to name them. :pensive:

I did another kettlebell workout today. Getting better each time. Chris it had all your challenge in it accept the Russian twists. Nopey nope nope. :blush:

Had a busy day today. No work. Lots of errands. Pie baking, cleaning. Then to Petco. I needed some aquarium silicone for a brine shrimp feeder I am making for the new babies. :blush: Found the proper silicone. Stopped to look at their fish. Big mistake. They had a new shipment in. The new guys were still floating in their shipping bags. They had three tiny baby Ruby red dragonets. They were improperly labeled. One was already dead. The gal working there said they were a special order item and that one was already sold. So I bought the other to keep it from certain death. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: What was I thinking? Now I have to make an extra feeding station if he survives the night. Yes it is a male. They are easy to sex. I put him into my quarantine tank for now. It is full of copepods so if he has a chance he just needs to eat them. So now I have 3 baby dragonets.

Shelley
  • claram5415
    Shelly, obviously you had to rescue him! :)
    My daughter and her fiance made it in late last night and I am so happy that they are here!
    Lazing around, drinking coffee. After this, I'm going to clean up and workout before the cooking and feasting.

Everyone, have a great holiday!
  • cpanus
    Shelley - yes, I got the back rub and man-oh-man, it helped so much! I agree with Clara, you had to rescue the Red Guy! Good job! And, just for the record...Russian Twists are so much easier than burpees!!!! Have fun today.

The kids came over with the pup this morning, and we all walked for an hour over at the school. Bean has a blast with future SIL because FSIL is a rugby player and can run all over the grass area with Bean. The rest of us can't do that because of hip or knee issues. It's fun to watch those two play. I'm thinking of going out by myself for an hour walk. I really need the steps and the exercise. Maybe I can get 4.5 miles in 60 minutes. hmmm...that cuts 4 minutes off two walks last week. We'll see. I'll be swinging the kettlebell a bit later.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Chris
  • zumbaforever
    Well the little guy is still with me. So are the other two. The one that looks like Draco May have some problem. Just not conclusive. Crossing my fingers.

Chris sounds like you guys had a great day. :) FSIL and Bean sound perfect together. What about the bride? I would think she could run with Bean. But maybe not this close to the wedding. :smiley:
    Glad to hear you are not passing up an opportunity to work out. :)

My hips are hurting from these alternating courtesy things. So I was done with twisting of any kind. Went walking with the boys and DH. It was gorgeous out today. My daughter and her family came over. Lots of catching up. I think I need a back rub! :blush:

Clara tell me about your new picture! Looks like you are in a field of little violets.

I will do the twists tomorrow night.

Shelley

• cpanus
    DD has a knee issue and a foot issue. She has an appt to see the therapist...the knee has been a bother for a while. She can jog short distances with the pup but nothing like the workout the FSIL gives him.

I got another four miles done but no kettlebells. Think I'm done for the day.

Hope you all have a great Friday. I think my Friday report is going to sound a lot like today's!!!!

Chris
  • zumbaforever
    I sure hope that a therapist is all that is needed Chris. :relieved:

So far I have only gotten in a walk with my DH and boys. Going to a hockey game tonight. Have to feed a friends cats. Made two feeding stations and started a culture of Brine shrimp. Still have to take DH to pick up his truck also. So I am just calling today a rest day. :weary: PS, if you can see him this is the rescue fish. Rather cute little guy.

Shelley
  • cpanus
    Shelley, he is very cute!

Got in 2 miles w/family and 4 miles by myself. Going to the grocery store...hope it's not crowded!!! Saw some crazy stuff on yahoo!

Later, my friends.

Chris
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,748 Member
    Ahhhh, baybeees! They are so cute Shelley! :bigsmile: Chris, is the big day coming up soon? And can you post that yummy recipe? Hello to all. Am loving time with my Mom. She's 85 and forgetting up a storm and darling. Love her.

Best to you all!

Going to take my kettleball next door. Fun!

:heart_eyes: paula
  • cpanus
    edited November 2014
    Chicken and Three Bean Chili Verde - Serves 12

14 fresh tomatillos
    3 clove garlic
    3 c chicken broth - low sodium
    1 lg chopped onion
    3 poblano peppers - seeded, chopped
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 cans white corn - drain
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1 tbsp cumin
    4 chicken breasts - chopped (2 roasted chickens)
    1 can black beans - rinsed
    1 can pinto beans - rinsed
    1 can kidney beans - rinsed
    1 cup crushed tortilla chips
    1/2 cu chopped cilantro leaves
    1 tbsp fresh lime juice
    pepper
    Toppings: avocado slices - shredded jack cheese - cilantro (I didn't top mine)

1. Bring first three ingred and 3 cups of water to boil - boil 10 mins.
    2. Meanwhile, saute onion and peppers in oil 4 mins. Add corn; saute 2 mins, add chili powder and cumin; saute 4 mins.
    3. Remove toms from heat, cool 5 mins. Process in blender (I used my hand blender...stick-thingy...it worked great!) until smooth.
    4. Add chicken, beans and tomato mix. Cook 15 mins, stir occasionally. Stir in tortillas and next 4 ingreds. Cook 5 mins. Serve.

The original recipe calls for 2 cups tort chips, but they suck up the liquid fast. I ended up adding liquid the next day. I will only use 1 cup the next time I make this.

TOTAL numbers...
    Cals: 2,797 Carbs: 361 Prot: 224 Fat: 71 Fiber: 98 Sugar: 52

12 servings
    Cals: 248 Carbs: 30 Prot: 19 Fat: 6 Fiber: 8 Sugar: 4

Let me know what you think. Add, subtract, multiply however you like...

Chris

• cpanus
    Walked with family yesterday...shopped...made a different soup...Hoping to walk with the kids today. We'll see what happens.

Have a great Sunday, everyone!

Chris

• cpanus
    Got our challenge done X2 and a bunch of steps. It's raining here...think I'll read for a while.

DD and I hit the gym tomorrow w/our trainer.

Have a great Monday.

Chris
  • zumbaforever
    Paula what a lovely daughter you are! Hope you caught your little mouse. I kept forgetting to have a laugh with you over it. My cat used to play catch and release when he was younger. Muahaha.

Soup recipes! Glad to see you are making your soups again Chris.

Thanks guys. He is really cute. I hope he does good for many years.

Shelley