Feel like I can't do it

Options
I'm not physically dependent on alcohol but it is so hard for me not to incorporate it somewhere into my evening routine. It's easily accessible and a habit I am having so much trouble breaking. Probably had about 2 totally sober days in the past 3 weeks, month or so. I'm so discouraged and not believing I can do it.

Replies

• IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Maybe try switching to something like soda water with lime. It looks and feels like a cocktail but isn't. Or order a "virgin" margarita or something like that...
  • mooseschultz
    Options
    I'm right there with you teknosprite. Today is day one of sobriety for me. While my resolve has not been this strong in a long time I find myself already questioning whether I can do this. My habbit...sitting at home alone watching movies, playing on my phone and drinking. This iron grip that alcohol has on us seems unbreakable, but I'd like to think that I am stronger. My attempts at sobriety in the past failed, partially, because I kept thinking "how good is it going to feel to have a full week sober!" Unfortunately, the thought of a whole week was too overwhelming and I slipped. I'm trying to think one minute at a time, literally. When the thought of consuming multiple drinks pops in my head I try and think of reasons not to. Will I slip again? I'm sure I will. I keep thinking of how good I feel the mornings after I don't drink, but it's hard to stay positive when this behavior has been routine for me.

I like the idea of switching to a "virgin" drink as posted by IowaJen1979. At times I do this where I order a Bloody Mary without and vodka. I find they actually taste better without the alcohol. One other thing I try to do is stay away from things that make it harder for me to abstain...which means staying out of my apartment for a while after work. Now that the weather is nicer spending time away is easier, but there is ALWAYS that thought gravitating me to the liquor store then home. I'm a big fan of felicific calculus; looking at the joy and pain that a behavior may cause and then choosing a course of action. Unfortunately, alcohol makes this difficult because of the relatively instant gratification it offers vs. the long-term benefits of sobriety. I'm still trying to find a replacement myself. One thing I do know is that I am glad some of my family and friends now know about my problem so I can go to them if needed. I'm rambling, but it feels good to get this stuff out finally!

Best of luck my friend.
  • TriciannT
    TriciannT Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well I am right there with ya, still! I find that if I have a full stomach I don't care for drinking. I would love to up the "dinner time" in our home but it's not a possibility right now. I try and get full at lunch so I don't want to drink. I was looking into "Moderation Management" to get a start. I think thanks to you Mooseschultz (do they call you Moose in a loving way?) I am going to obtain this evening. My goal is to make it until my next two days of which are Wed and Thurs. If I can make it to then I may be able to go further. This is a really, really hard commitment for me to make. I need your help. :-) I think if I quit drinking beer I would lose these extra 50 pounds too. Here's to it.....I shall buy some sparkling water.
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    I hear your struggles. I have quit and had sober streaks for months. Fell off the wagon over vacation (beer is my poison of choice) and today I will hold myself accountable to all of you and myself. No booze today. I will worry about tomorrow - tomorrow.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    the group seems to have died off while i was away from MFP, Just checking in on how everyone is doing. I'm 18 months alcohol free today actually . Feel great don't really miss it at all anymore