How does the rainbow run

Arianera
Arianera Posts: 128 Member
When I was first training martial arts in the '80's the school I was at had 4 colors of belt:
white, green, brown, and black with tape stripes used to denote the in-between steps from 1st through 9th kyu

The belt system for the school I am currently training at goes:
white, yellow, orange, purple, blue, high-blue, green, high-green, brown, high-brown, (Jr. Black), Black.

The belt system for kids at the previous school I was at had more than 10 steps and went:
white, orange, high-orange, yellow, high-yellow, green, high green, blue, high blue, purple, high purple, brown, brown 2, brown 3, Jr. Black, Black. Senior instructors of 4th Dan and higher could choose to wear a red belt instead of black.

How do the belt colors at your school go? Do you use red belts? If so, are they before brown, or after black?

Just curious.

Ari

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Interesting to see the differences!
    We are a WTF school.

The belts go:
    White
    Yellow
    Orange
    Green
    Green-Blue
    Blue
    Blue-Red
    Red
    Black
    Dans
  • No belts worn in kendo but we use the kyu and dan system. Kyu ranks count backwards from 6 to 1 (ikkyu) then obviously dan rankings count forward 1 to 8. 9th and 10th dan rankings have been retired so hachidan is the highest.
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    In my shotokan karate we use kyu system :-

White
    White with one tag
    White with two tags
    Yellow
    Green
    Purple
    Purple with a stripe
    Brown
    Brown with 1 stripe
    Brown with 2 stripe
    black
    1st Dan, 2nd Dan etc etc

• j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    edited June 2015
    For Jujitsu
    White
    Green 3rd Degree
    Green 2nd Degree
    Green 1st Degree
    Brown 3rd Degree
    Brown 2nd Degree
    Brown 1st Degree
    Black 1st Degree
    All the way to 10th Degree

No belts at my Muay Thai academy, but there are 9 levels
  • c_leeee
    c_leeee Posts: 144 Member
    It's so interesting to see the differences! In my school we teach American Kenpo
    White
    Yellow
    Orange
    Purple
    Blue
    Green
    3rd Degree Brown
    2nd Degree Brown
    1st Degree Brown
    1st Degree Black
    to 10th Degree Black
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    edited August 2015
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

(at least at my school)

Adults - White, Blue, Purple, Brown (each has 4 x stripes/intermediate steps between belts), then Black

Kids (<15) - White, Yellow/White, Yellow, Orange/White, Orange/Yellow, Orange, Green/White, Green/Yellow, Green/Orange, Green. All with the same 4 x stripes between belts At 16, they can go into the Adult system & start over at White Belt. Most recent kid to adult transition; Orange Belt -> 2 x Stripe Whitebelt.

My boys take BJJ with me & I like the different system for the kids. The promotions are few & far between for the adults (on average, I've heard is takes around 10-12 years to earn a black belt - based on training 3-4 days/week). Nice to be able to recognize the kids' motivation & effort with so many stripes/belts - in addition to performance. Think it's a good motivational tool for them.
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Goshindo Jujitsu -
    White
    Yellow
    Green
    Blue
    Purple
    Brown
    Black
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited August 2015
    I'm TKD and ours run:

White
    Yellow 2, 3 (no yellow 1)
    Blue 1, 2, 3
    Red 1, 2, 3
    Shao Dan Bo (provisional black, belt is horizontally half red, half black)
    Black (and then you go out the Dans)
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    At my Krav school it's just:

White
    Yellow
    Red
    Black

With the stripe system in between belts to track your progress.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Only 2 belts in Muay Thai: A title belt and the belt that holds up your pants. Fight record counts for a lot.
  • CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    White; Yellow; Green 1,2,3; Blue 1,2,3; Brown 1,2,3; Red 1,2,3; provisional black (white stripe in middle, a.k.a. 1st degree lvl 1; 1-3 degree black all have 4 levels; 4-6 degree black have 2 levels. Upwards from there, I'm not sure. Only a few people in our tradition have them. I've met only one.