Thanksgiving

Options
I'm taking advantage of my long weekend (I get Thurs. and Fri. off from work as well as Sat. and Sun.) to go hiking. The plan is to go to Yellow River State Forest in NE Iowa (the opposite corner of the state from where I live). My brother and I will hike in, camp in the backcountry, hopefully catch a fish to eat (or we may kill a squirrel instead).

I hope to have a blast. Whatever you do, have fun and be safe!

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    so...how did it go?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    We hiked in on Thursday as planned. Had a problem with my stove (have since emailed MSR and haven't heard back yet), but was able to get rice cooked 'al dente' before it stopped working. So we had some food for dinner on Thursday.

Thursday night, my brother got up to pee several times, and took too long to get back into his sleeping bag every time. He spent more time outside the sleeping bag than inside. I was starting to worry about how cold he might be getting (thermometer said 11 degrees). Eventually, he said he didn't think he was going to make it through the night. I agreed... so we hiked out via headlight.

I am a bit disappointed at cutting it short, but my brother is inexperienced and I'm proud of him for giving it an effort and for knowing when to fold.

The stove issue worries me because I'm going out with my other brother in a couple weeks, and I worry about whether it will work.
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You know I just have a Jetboil, but it works just fine. I know it's a little more weight, but it has been quite reliable. Boy that must have been a worry with your brother. I will say that is way too cold for me.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    This is a Dragonfly. The whole selling point to me when I got it was that it could handle multiple fuel types (for the hypothetical future long-distance trip where I would have to stop at gas stations for unleaded). I did try to completely take it apart and clean/inspect everything when I got it home. But of course the jet is totally stuck. I'm thinking I might try to turn it on again (will see how long it stays on) and heat it up to see if the jet will come out when warm. It isn't a big deal because I'm using the same fuel, but I don't want to be in the field with a stuck jet in case I end up having to repair it there.

The problem I was having, though, was with the pump. The fuel canister wasn't staying pressurized. So the first thing I did was take that apart and inspect all of the o-rings. They were fine, so I'm at a loss as to what happened.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    They used to call them "Shaker stoves", some times they needed a lot of shaking.
    Also buy white gas or NONE Ethanol gas, regular gas will gum up stuff. Make sure you drain and throw out your old gas with ethanol. I have not tried "StayBil" a gas additive that is suppose to keep the ethanol in suspension. It works on my mower. Good Luck.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Right, I shook this one. MSR says that I should be able to hear a rattle when I shake it, which I can, so that is a good sign that the jet isn't plugged.

I've only ever used white gas... specifically MSR Superfuel. I got the Dragonfly because I hope to someday be able to take an extended trip where I would not be able to find white gas along the way.
  • OldChief14
    OldChief14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    kasaz wrote: »
    You know I just have a Jetboil, but it works just fine. I know it's a little more weight, but it has been quite reliable. Boy that must have been a worry with your brother. I will say that is way too cold for me.

I love my JetBoil Sol but have found fuel-canisters in very short supply at gateway communities that are equipped short of an REI level store. I have taken to using a bounce box to send myself 3 or 4 during longer hikes.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I was out this weekend... it was nice here in Iowa (50F) this past weekend. I hadn't heard back from MSR, so I went ahead and tried using my stove and had no pressure issues. To be fair, I had given it a good cleaning (it didn't need much of a cleaning, but maybe every little bit helps). I never did get the jet off, but no need as of yet (still worries me).

Anyway, I wonder if there is something about using the MSR fuel can and pump in cold weather? Maybe it just needed to be cleaned? What is the coldest temp. that anyone has used an MSR fuel can and pump?
  • OldChief14
    OldChief14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have only heard about MSR type and similar white gas stoves having issues in extreme cold (negatvie 20) or extreme altitude (>12,000), neither of which it seems you experienced. I have always had great customer support from MSR (I use their water filters) so I hope they get back to you soon