Hot flushes

Options
I'm new to the group and to mfp. I have been having hot flushes for a long time. I get sick like I have the flu. I get so hot and within seconds I'm freezing to death. I 'm driving my husband crazy. And today I went out in 20 degrees and felt great.

Replies

• dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I find that hot flushes are triggered by the foods I eat. If I eat too much sugar I get them. Everyones triggers are different.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    dynamicwon wrote: »
    I find that hot flushes are triggered by the foods I eat. If I eat too much sugar I get them. Everyones triggers are different.
    Absolutely. Mine got pretty intense in October and November. Then, on whim I started thinking about what "felt" right and cut way back on red meat (and changed up a bunch of other things) to see if any or all of my symptoms would improve. They did. Friday we had steak, and friday night I had night sweats again.
  • chachadeb
    chachadeb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Right now on a hormone cream which has really helped with my hot flashes (which were many in an hour). And at night, sweatfest which didn't help insomnia. Hot then freezing, hot then..... Have eliminated red meat for the most part, watching sugar intake.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a hot flash trigger for a lot of people. I had to get on HRT to make them stop, personally. I can't think straight and get my work done with this kind of thing going on. Also my sleep was badly disrupted. I know a lot of people report success with evening primrose oil and sometimes black cohosh. Check with doctor first of course.
  • anndieringer
    Options
    Red wine triggers my hot flashes!
  • suemichele
    suemichele Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I take evening primerose oil and it does help me. Wine will trigger hot flashes for me too!
  • yellowradiates
    yellowradiates Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do not drink but sugar, stress, caffeine and red meat are triggers for me too. Sage capsules , yoga and exercise definitely have reduced, almost completely gone, my flashes and night sweats. If I do not exercise the flashes are back within 24-48 hrs. For the freezing dressing in layers and having an small blanket on my side of the bed or by the couch helps. I have started to stay away from the thermostat. Good luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yep, last night was a red meat night. Hot flashes AND a migraine today. Interesting.