December Goals

Options
krokador
krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
edited December 2014 in Social Groups
So I skipped November, as some of you may have noticed, but I am back for this last month!

First off, a small retrospect of the year:
Do a bodyweight pull-up and dip by my birthday (20th of February. My original goal was by the end of the year but I ended up in a fat loss challenge so strength gains haven't been awesome lately xD)

- Bench my bodyweight before december (whatever that number will be at that point?)
- Squat over 200lbs (I can do 135x3 smooth right now)
- Deadlift 250lbs (I haven't tried it but my E1RM is 185 atm I think)
- Overhead press 100lbs (Stuck at 70x2 right now. It's tough!)

- Learn proper form and technique to perform Cleans and Snatches and other more explosive lifts more often. Atm I'm getting somewhat okay at hang power cleans, but that's the extent of it.

- Also, if I could manage to heal my right wrist at some point, that would be peachy (something snapped in my hand while doing skullcrushers a few months back, and I have been babying it since but I keep falling on it and rebooting the healing process :/. Debating getting an xray on it since it's taking so long to get better.)

Allow me to erupt in hysterical laughter for half a second here. Bwahaha! Okay, done. So...
- Pull-up: not going to happen this year...
- Bench bodyweight: err...
- Squat over 200lbs: close, but not quite and I'm not re-testing. Still hurtin' from yesterday's 192.5
- Deadlift 250lbs: We'll know in 3 days!
- OHP 100lbs: Testing in 4 days. I don't honestly believe I got this, but who knows?

- Cleans and snatches: Check! I can clean 115lbs and snatch probably 95 by now! So, at least this one's good :)
- right wrist is fine! It took almost a year, though. Never loosen your grip on skullcrushers O_o

Hey look, there were no weight or BF% goals... ROFL that might explain some things!
*edit* so there was nut i missed it, 30% by the first half of the year... Oops >_>

So for this December, with the Holidays showing up, my one week trip away and my sister and dad's birthdays...

- Get my weight around 190lbs despite all the tasty meals I'll be faced with.
- Clean up the form on my lifts with speed/power work after the heavy testing.
- Add in more cardio than I'd been doing (not very hard, lol)
- Keep my diet as clean as possible during the week - no restaurant, no baking cookies or brownies.
- Spend the next 2 weeks tracking every single day, including birthdays. Not going to be focusing on a huge deficit if one at all, but I need to get myself accountable again.

And a small extra since I don't have much in the way of strength goals:
- Build back up to being able to do 25 push-ups in a row. I struggle with 15 now :(

What about you guys?

Replies

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    For December, I'm just going to stick with my Madcow routine. I'm not really focusing on how much I weigh, BF% or any of that. I just want to keep increasing my strength and lifting 3 to 4 days per week.

January's goals, though, are going to be vastly different... :)
  • meglo91
    meglo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    For December:
    - Well. My aspirational BW goal is 168. My drop-dead goal is 170. That weight will put me at about the weight I was when I got pregnant with Minion #2, and 20 pounds away from my starting weight with minion #1. My overall goal is to slowly, steadily get to 150 pounds by the end of May. I'm trying to be realistic here. There's no way that I can lift heavy and eat 1200 calories per day, so 2 pounds per week is not happening. I've made a choice to lift heavy and lose weight and gain muscle because that's what's sustainable for me.
    - Lifting:
    Deadlift 190 lbs by the end of the month.
    OHPs to 105 lbs
    Bench 120 lbs
    Squat 160 lbs
    Dreaded horrible rows to 120 lbs. I hate rows with the heat of a thousand suns. But I will do them. Because I am bad at them and they show me where I'm weak.
    Be able to run a sub 8:15 mile. I think I'm pretty close to this now. My mile and a half hovers at around 13:00 when I'm feeling good.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    hmm.

squats: 100lb. 5-10 pounds away. i'm aiming for bodyweight (call that 135 to be safe) by 50th birthday, which is in july. so 100lbs by end of this month gives me only 5lb/month to get there.

bench: 70lb. +5 pounds

rows: 70lb. that's +10 pounds, but i'm tired of myself faffing around about rows.

ohp: 55lb. that's +5. the rate this one's been going i'm just gonna be a realist this month.

deadlift: dunno. 120? i like 5x5 deadlifts more than just 1x5, but i'll see how this goes.

bike: once again, going to try get at least one session of sprinting in every week. these studded tires have been just killing me with their rolling resistance and weight, but i have to get adjusted to them sooner or later. and sprints help; seriously. i already know this.

weight: less than 125 would probably not be healthy anymore what with muscle and all, but i still have room to lose ~5lb. it's all clustered between my waist and my knees so not the best look to rock atm. however, for this month i won't really care.

general: continue the core work - planks if nothing else. stretch and roll more consistently, especially upper body. get my shoulders/neck sorted out. eat more betterly, i.e. just eat. specially now there's a grocery store right across the street from my work, i have much less excuse.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    My goals are to stick with the program and increase in weight (or reps until I can increase weight).

Long-term I would like to get stronger and more muscular while decreasing my % body fat. I am not really restricting calories now. I hope to increase in muscle mass and then will lose weight while on highish protein to retain my lbm while losing %bf. I know it's going to be a slow road, but I am up for it.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I am giving myself a bit of a break since November was not as successful as I had hoped...

Here are mine, I have copied and pasted my last 3 months so I can keep track

Just as a recap for myself...this is what September looked like...
    ********************************************************************************************
    I am still new so I didn't post any August goals...I will start fresh with September

1.) Log daily! (currently on a 68 day streak) - Nailed it!
    2.) Continue SL 5x5, 3x a week - Missed 1 day of 1 week, but worked out anyway, just not SL
    3.) Complete 1 cardio session a week for at least an hour - FAIL! Man have I been tired.
    4.) Have no more than 4 pumpkin spice latte's all month long (this could be a real toughie laugh ) - This was EASY! Only 2 ALL MONTH LONG!
    ********************************************************************************************
    OK, onto October

1.) 10 narrow pushups from my toes - NOPE! Will have to try again this month.
    2.) Complete the plank challenge I have signed on for - NOPE! My other group members kinda fizzled after the first couple days and I will admit, I didn't try to keep up either
    3.) Continue to log daily - YUP! 130 days and counting
    4.) DL 155 - This has been my breaking point for the last 3 workouts, so I am determined to get it! - NOPE! I think I got scared. I deloaded and starting warming up this month. I am currently at 125lbs.
    November Goals

1.) Continue Logging Daily - This is a biggie for me since this month holds lots of bdays including my moms, mine and my daughters. Plus of course THANKSGIVING! I may not log every bite, but I will check in every day. - GRRRR, Thanksgiving got me. I was going to at least log breakfast and the day got away from me and I lost my 150+ day streak. Still kinda mad at myself!

2.) Squat 100lbs by November 30th! This will be my bday present to myself. - No Luck on this. I did manage 95lbs. Not too shabby with a 10 day gym break and this horrific cold I am still fighting off

3.) 10 pushups from toes. Trying this one again. :blush: - NO Idea, I never even tried. Again, the cold is kicking my butt and I feel like death :neutral_face:

**************************************************************************************
    December Goals

1.) Complete my upcoming 5k in less than 40 minutes. This is nothing stellar for most, but I am NOT a runner, but I like having something to look forward to. Although signing up for these events during cold/sick months is not the smartest idea!
    2.) Get in 3 workouts a week
    3.) Squat 110 by end of year!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    ooo Goal time. I'll join in this as monthly goals in writing too.

General is going to be to continue the program since I'm only on week 3. But to get more specific:

Weight: - 5lbs. I now weigh 185, so getting to 180 will have me close to the lowest I reached 10 years ago when using weight watchers. Still so far to go but determined to keep working even if it ends up just being 1 or 2. Maybe some day I'll make a lift body weight goal when I have a little less to reach, lol.

OHP: Add 5 or 10 lbs with good form, i.e. have it so my head doesn't go back and try to stay out of the way cause there is weight on the bar. I can do the bar with just a little shake and the end of the last sets. Hopefully by 2015 I can add a little weight to it.

Bench: Progress each week and be aware of how to fail as tend to lift alone. Though gym is pretty busy so probably someone would help but still, good to know how to get out from the bar just in case.

Squat: Work on grip more so my right hand/wrist doesn't hurt the next day or two. Add at least 25 lbs this month. That would put me at 100 if the bar used is 45.

Row/Deadlift - use the proper form and get closer to where I won't need plates to get the bar at the right height. Deadlift I think can get to the 45's by 2015 but not sure on row.

Food: Eat more protein on a regular basis. Need to try and hit minimum more often or go over it whenever I can.

Think that covers the health and such. I have editing, writing, reading and blogging goals too. Plus working 38-42 hours a week in retail. Ah the holidays.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Food: Log everyday, even when traveling and on holidays. Shoot for 150g of protein everyday and never go under 100g.

Weight: Lose 4 lbs to hover around 150 to 152 instead of 154 to 156. I think this may be one of the hardest goals as there will be a week of traveling, lots of celebratory meals, drinking and guessimating calories this month.

General exercise: Stronglifts 5x5 3 times a week when not traveling. 3 body weight and/or dumbbell strength training sessions during week of traveling. Cardio at least twice a week. Min of 10,000 steps a day.

Strength:
    Squat: 115lbs (Increase 15)
    OHP: 65 (Increase of 5)
    Deadlifts: 170lbs (increase of 20)
    Bench: 85 (increase of 10)
    Rows: 82.5 (increase of 7.5)

• MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    My main goal is to watch my diet more closely. I have been overeating too frequently and not feeling so good because of it.

My other goal is to work out consistently as possible, despite the holidays and resulting schedule interruptions that occur. I love running in the cold weather so I'd like to run about twice a week on top of lifting.
  • SouthernDaisy4
    SouthernDaisy4 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I hadn't even thought of any specific goals for this month until I started reading this thread.

1) Keep the M/W/F SL schedule and not miss any workouts.

2) log my food every day

3) I don't want to give myself a weight goal this month, but I would like to continue to see the inches drop and I would be happy if the pants I am currently in were too large by the end of the year.

4) I need to clean up my diet, drop diet soda (again), cut out the sugar and junk.

Yeah, that ought to keep me busy.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Here are mine:
    * 5x5 3x week, even in Hawaii
    * Stay within my calorie range (averaged for the week)
    * Plank daily
    * Lose four pounds (which will bring me to a total of 20 since mid-August 2014)

That's it. I'd like to do some lifting goals, but I always overestimate what I'll be able to accomplish, so just focusing on consistency.
    Well, actually, let's add one:

* OHP - 5x5 @ 45 lbs. (I just want to lift the damn bar! I'm not asking for moon!)

C.
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My main goal is to watch my diet more closely. I have been overeating too frequently and not feeling so good because of it.

My other goal is to work out consistently as possible, despite the holidays and resulting schedule interruptions that occur. I love running in the cold weather so I'd like to run about twice a week on top of lifting.

Oh my goodness, I could have posted this exact goal for myself, haha! Especially the holiday eating because it seems like in December there is junk food at work EVERY. DAY. and I have to keep myself from indulging too much!

• MissHolidayGolightly
    Options

Oh my goodness, I could have posted this exact goal for myself, haha! Especially the holiday eating because it seems like in December there is junk food at work EVERY. DAY. and I have to keep myself from indulging too much!

Best of luck to you too then! I will need to keep myself from eating half the snickerdoodle batter when baking cookies! It's so good but then I feel so ugh.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    meglo91 wrote: »
    Dreaded horrible rows to 120 lbs. I hate rows with the heat of a thousand suns.

just wanna say . . . . sssnnrrk. let's try to keep each other honest this month when it comes to rows. i got form tips from an actual trainer last week, so obviously i'm doing them more or less right . . . and still i hate them. imagine ever getting so good at rows that you kinda like them . . .

nah. i'm kinda good at scrubbing pots, and i don't like doing that.
  • krokador
    Options
    meglo91 wrote: »
    Dreaded horrible rows to 120 lbs. I hate rows with the heat of a thousand suns.

just wanna say . . . . sssnnrrk. let's try to keep each other honest this month when it comes to rows. i got form tips from an actual trainer last week, so obviously i'm doing them more or less right . . . and still i hate them. imagine ever getting so good at rows that you kinda like them . . .

nah. i'm kinda good at scrubbing pots, and i don't like doing that.

Hey, I like doing rows! And I'm not that good at them! lol. There's something with the way they make me feel sore between the shoulder blades and using a lacrosse ball to work on those trigger points is just so... hmmm... lol

(no but seriously, what do you guys really hate so much about rows? That they don't feel natural?)
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm not currently lifting-boo :( , would it be ok if I post my goals here for December?
  • krokador
    Options
    bruerin wrote: »
    Even though I'm not currently lifting-boo :( , would it be ok if I post my goals here for December?

Of course! It says December Goals, not December *Lifting* Goals ;)
  • meglo91
    meglo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »

(no but seriously, what do you guys really hate so much about rows? That they don't feel natural?)

Yeah, that's probably it. I just always feel like I'm doing them wrong. I'm never sure I'm working the right muscles. I de-load a little bit and everything feels hunky dory, and then I load back up (just 10 lbs more!) and I can DO them, but they don't feel right. They're also one of those moves, for me, that I can't just Hulk through. Like, I'll do four reps just fine, and then I get to the fifth, and it's not even close. It's like my back goes nope! we're done here! thanks for playing. Which makes me think, again, that I'm doing them wrong. I might look into Pendlay vs. bent-over.

I'm also a clumsy person and rows require a lot of muscle coordination.

Tips appreciated.
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Best of luck to you too then! I will need to keep myself from eating half the snickerdoodle batter when baking cookies! It's so good but then I feel so ugh.

Oh yeah, I have to keep myself from eating the batter too! That is why I hardly ever bake anymore. :wink:

• bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    bruerin wrote: »

Of course! It says December Goals, not December *Lifting* Goals ;)

Thanks! My goals are to make more nutritious food choices and I am back to logging. I've fallen into the pregnancy trap of "I deserve donutsssss, AND pizza, AND chips." Indulging in moderation is understandable, but I've been going hog-wild and completely disregarding proper nutrition. I stopped logging because I was overwhelmed by it, but realize that I need it to ensure moderation rather than gluttony.

My second goal is to get moving again on a regular basis--walking, stationary bike, low intensity DVDs, and yoga. I'm a little over 16 weeks, and have had some blips of feeling terrible along the way, but have been feeling more energetic past week.

Lastly, I need to interact more in the forums. I enjoy interacting with my FL, but rarely venture into the forums.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Mine are to just keep doing what I am doing. Also a full pull up would be nice.