December Goals

Options

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Consistency for me. Getting to the gym 2 or 3 times a week (depending upon work) and adding reps and then weights.

I know this is a bit vague, but I feel that I've just recently had success and now I want to consolidate these.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    meglo91 wrote: »
    krokador wrote: »

(no but seriously, what do you guys really hate so much about rows? That they don't feel natural?)

Yeah, that's probably it. I just always feel like I'm doing them wrong. I'm never sure I'm working the right muscles. I de-load a little bit and everything feels hunky dory, and then I load back up (just 10 lbs more!) and I can DO them, but they don't feel right. They're also one of those moves, for me, that I can't just Hulk through. Like, I'll do four reps just fine, and then I get to the fifth, and it's not even close. It's like my back goes nope! we're done here! thanks for playing. Which makes me think, again, that I'm doing them wrong. I might look into Pendlay vs. bent-over.

I'm also a clumsy person and rows require a lot of muscle coordination.

Tips appreciated.

For me it's the feeling like something isn't right with them either. I've watched video, had a trainer help and still I don't feel like I'm doing them right. I don't feel much at all when I do the lift in fact other than it being heavy when I tried too much weight last night. The stance feels awkward to me too. *shrugs* Maybe I just need to do it more to get more comfortable and confident. Most the others I've done before even if it was years ago or I had a general idea before, except the deadlift but I'm okay with those too.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Arg, it's too late to edit my post, but after some deep thoughts (no, not by Jack Handey in case anyone's wondering), I have some different things in mind for December and onward.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    December Goals:

a) Check into the site every day so I don't break my streak. Next week will be a challenge as I will be on vacation.
    b) Lose 2 lbs. Usually I would aim for 1 lb/week but with vacation and holidays I am going to have a less aggressive goal for the month. Should help my lifts, too.
    c) Get to 95lbs squats. This was my goal in Nov and I did not make it for various reasons.
    d) 50lbs OHP 5x5. We'll see. OHP is my nemesis.
    e) 150lb Deadlift. I think I can do this one.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. My goals for this month.
    1) Deadlift my bodyweight without blowing out a disc. Currently @ 130 # bw 135#. I totally got this.
    2) Bench 75#. Currently @ 72.5#
    3) Core work- anything more than I'm doing now.
    4) I've learned to love push-ups- let's see how many I can do in a row. I'm currently @ 15.
    5) More cardio? Nah.
    6) Lower BF %. Still working on that one.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'd like to squat body weight (130), BP 70, deadlift 135, OHP 50 (sad, I know) rows 70. Maybe be able to do 10 push ups straight through, too. Why not?
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    katro111 wrote: »
    Arg, it's too late to edit my post, but after some deep thoughts (no, not by Jack Handey in case anyone's wondering), I have some different things in mind for December and onward.

And...? No rules against a second, updated post. Inquiring minds want to know....

:)
  • katro111
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    katro111 wrote: »

And...? No rules against a second, updated post. Inquiring minds want to know....

:)

I'm going to do an aggressive cut for 6 weeks. Every other time since August that I've said I'm going to seriously eat at any deficit, I chicken out because well, food is delicious, lol. I've been doing this recomp thing for 4 months now and it's getting boring. I also need to prove to myself that I actually have the willpower to make some changes! Ideally it's a 24+ week plan; every 6 weeks I increase my cals to get back up to maintenance. Aggressive deficit the first 6, moderate the next 6, slight the following 6, super slight the 6 after that and then maintenance.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    @katro111, Interesting- keep us posted how you make out with that. I'm still trying to figure out where, exactly, my maintenance is so I can eat at a proper deficit.
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Food: focus on eating to fuel the things I want to do, not on the things I want to eat and "can't have." I do IIFYM, I just always want MORE treats than FMM. I'm shooting to eat at maintenance, which I think will be about 1800 daily, so I'll start with that as a goal and adjust appropriately from there.

Lifts: Squat 115 (currently at 95, but I did 5@115 today by mistake, so I figure I should be able to get all 5x5 by the end of the month). BP 80 -- at 70 right now. OHP 60 -- really struggling with 55 now. Rows 90 -- 75 yesterday. DL 160.

Other stuff: make a decision about whether I want to focus on running or lifting. If running- register for a May marathon -- this would be my first. If lifting -- cut back on all the f***ing cardio and get serious about it.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Well, reached one goal-completed 10 push ups today!
  • katro111
    Options
    dldoddy wrote: »
    @katro111, Interesting- keep us posted how you make out with that. I'm still trying to figure out where, exactly, my maintenance is so I can eat at a proper deficit.

My activity level has gone down since the summer so I *think* I know what my maintenance is (using Fitbit data helps) so we'll see how well this "long term" goal of mine works out!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options

Other stuff: make a decision about whether I want to focus on running or lifting. If running- register for a May marathon -- this would be my first. If lifting -- cut back on all the f***ing cardio and get serious about it.

I was training for a March half marathon around this time last year. Towards the end of training, I got tired of running and, consequently, got the itch to start lifting seriously. I completed my half, was happy with my time and that I did it, then got into lifting quite seriously and have been with it every since. Not telling you to do one or the other but sometimes committing to one thing helps you realize what you're really into.
  • nassaugyal
    nassaugyal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You ladies are focused! I love it! Am I the only loser who wanted to take a break for the Holidays?

My plan for November was to cut calories hard and get my body weight down to 149lbs (from 155) then focus on maintenance during December.

Well, I got down to 151.5 which I'm pretty stoked about. But the lack of calories really hurt my lifting gains.

So, my goals for December is to eat at maintenance (which will seem like feasting to me because I've been at a deficit for soooo long) and work on increasing my lifts. I figure it'll be the best of both worlds because I'll get to enjoy all the wonderful holiday food and the extra fuel should help me to finally reach my lifting goals (which I have to reevaluate now because I took a couple weeks off to focus on cardio while I was cutting).
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @Nassaugyal - Congrats on your losses in November! And good plan for December. Also, taking a break doesn't make you a loser at all -- we all need them from time to time.
  • museumnerd1
    Options
    I'm not sure about this accountability to others stuff. :wink: Just the kick in the rear I need. Goals for December:

To get back into it and own it!
    To follow the program despite the holidays.
    To log my food and own any time I go over (and not beat myself up if/when I do!)

Squat: 200
    Deadlift: Get where I get. Am at 210. Will roll with it.
    OHP: Hit my PR of 67.5 last round, would like to keep it up.
    Bench: Push past my 77.5 plateau into a PR
    Row: Keep on keepin on.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Wow.
  • SouthernDaisy4
    SouthernDaisy4 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    nancy274 wrote: »

Wow.

WORD.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I almost forgot about this. So, month is ending. How did we all do?

Goals/Results
    Weight: - 5 lbs. 185 Start Weight/ 179.6 End Weight (Made it!)

OHP: Add 5 or 10 lbs with good form to bar / I am doing 55 fine but failed at 60. Still, made the 5 lb add goal.

Bench: Progress each week and be aware of how to fail as tend to lift alone. / Figured out how to use the lower set to rack on fail. Did not progress each week as I've stalled a bit and will de-load soon.

Squat: Work on grip more so my right hand/wrist doesn't hurt the next day or two. Add at least 25 lbs this month. That would put me at 100... / 130 lbs squat. Yeah, that one was easy though now the increases are getting harder.

Row/Deadlift - use the proper form and get closer to where I won't need plates to get the bar at the right height. Deadlift I think can get to the 45's by 2015 but not sure on row. / Did get to 45's on deadlift with a max lift of 155. Still working on rows and not near using 45's on those, so don't do ones that touch the floor each time.

Food: Eat more protein on a regular basis. Need to try and hit minimum more often or go over it whenever I can. / Working on protein but I'm doing a little better.

Overall = not bad. Hard to believe the weeks have gone by so fast. Now to figure out some goals for January. hmmmm

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    Here are mine:
    * 5x5 3x week, even in Hawaii
    * Stay within my calorie range (averaged for the week)
    * Plank daily
    * Lose four pounds (which will bring me to a total of 20 since mid-August 2014)

That's it. I'd like to do some lifting goals, but I always overestimate what I'll be able to accomplish, so just focusing on consistency.
    Well, actually, let's add one:

* OHP - 5x5 @ 45 lbs. (I just want to lift the damn bar! I'm not asking for moon!)

C.

- Ended up taking two weeks off due to being sick and end-of-semester craziness, but I *did* get back to the gym in Hawaii -- 3x in the 10 days I was there!
    - Didn't track these last two weeks, but before that I was on target.
    - Planking -- Hahahaha! Not even a little bit.
    - And no. I'm hanging tough at about 15.
    - SUCCESS on OHP! At 47.5 lbs. at the moment.

xoxo,
    C.