Numbers we should be aware of

Options
lee134
lee134 Posts: 280 Member
Going into the Holidays, here are some numbers you should be aware of:

The amount of calories an average woman needs each day.

The amount of calories an average man needs each day.

The estimated amount of calories in a typical Holiday meal, including turkey, side dishes, and dessert

5,000 to 6,000
The estimated amount of calories people consume throughout Thanksgiving/Christmas Day - roughly TRIPLE the recommended daily intake.

The amount of calories needed for the body to create one extra pound of fat.

So Americans eat *3 TIMES* the amount of calories they need in a single day. Put another way, we eat enough extra calorie's to add extra 1-2 pounds of *FAT* in less than 24 hours.

Replies

• sudofarr
    sudofarr Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The amount of food we eat at Thanksgiving was really brought home to me last week! I tried to low-carb the meal as much as I could and only had one helping of what I prepared but was so full after that, I couldn't eat any pie. So here is the triumph. I didn't have any pie! And I lost 1.5 lbs for the week. So yayee!! No 3000 calories for me!
  • lee134
    lee134 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Im so gosh darn proud of you
  • virgm2002
    virgm2002 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Great news and quite an accomplishment!
  • sudofarr
    Options
    I am now plotting how to get through the December holidays without indulging too much on sweets. My discovery of Kind bars (some of them have only 5 grams of sugar) has made it possible for me to indulge my sweet tooth just enough. Dark chocolate mocha almond is my favorite.
  • virgm2002
    Options
    What is a Kind bar? Please share the recipe. I am intrigued.
  • sudofarr
    Options
    Oh, Kind bars are commercial bars with quite a variety of ingredients. Some of them have a lot of sugar due to dried fruit,etc, but some are heavy on nuts and only have 5 grams of sugar and pretty low carbs overall. I don't use them to replace a meal but for a hike, they have around 200 calories that all fit into my plan... low carbs, high protein, etc.
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Try the dark chocolate with cherry. I love it. They are usually mix dark chocolate and nuts so get quick hit and then some sustaining calories. And the taste great. They are ,y hiking best snack or an emergency food when no good choices around
  • virgm2002
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Happy New Year!
  • virgm2002
    Options
    I just wanted you to know I tried one of those bars. All I can say is delicious! I hope the new year has gotten off to a great start for you.
  • sudofarr
    Options
    My new favorite is the dark chocolate mocha almond! And my new year is going well! I lost weight over the holidays and now I am about 9 pounds alway from goal (am down 41 lbs.)
  • lauriebeloffmarks
    Options
    Is anyone still posting in this group?
  • virgm2002
    Options
    I'm sorry I've been absent. I had knee surgery and am still recovering. Would anyone like to share words of wisdom to get back on track? I would love to hear your stories.